Currency exchange - Yokohama? Shimizu?

SetAnOpenCourse

Would there be somewhere within about 15 minutes walk from the cruise terminal at Yokohama, or the dock at Shimizu, to get some Yen to use during my cruise?  The day I arrive in Japan (Narita), I will take a Holland America transfer to Yokohama.   I could try to exchange cash in the airport, but I assume the rate or fees will make it an unfavorable option (please correct me if I'm wrong).

30 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Would there be somewhere within about 15 minutes walk from the cruise terminal at Yokohama, or the dock at Shimizu, to get some Yen to use during my cruise?  The day I arrive in Japan (Narita), I will take a Holland America transfer to Yokohama.   I could try to exchange cash in the airport, but I assume the rate or fees will make it an unfavorable option (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Experienced travelers have found that an ATM machine (not a Travelex atm) gives the best exchange rates.  Should be an atm in the airport before you leave the baggage claim area.

In Narita Terminal 1, first floor Arrivals, after you exit the luggage claim/customs area, there's a bunch of different ATM's by some escalators in the corridor connecting the north and south wings.  It's kind of in the back of the corridor but IIRC, there is signage pointing to these ATM's.  It's not too long of a walk between wings. 

We usually withdraw from the 7 Bank (ie 7Eleven) ATM which functions with international bank cards.  We usually don't exchange hard currency in Japan so haven't really sought our currency exchange places (and typically wouldn't do so at an airport, though there are exceptions).  

As posted already, Japanese ATMs are the best places to get cash at the best rates.

If you really need foreign exchange, the post office is the best choice.

If you Google Yokohama Post Office, you will find that there are 7 different Japan Post Office locations within walking distance of Osanbashi Pier in Yokohama.

Most Japanese ATM's will NOT accept International Cards.

Lookout for 7Eleven & Lawson Station convenience stores - their ATM's accept International Cards & have instructions in English.  I used them for Yen withdrawals & had no trouble.

You can also use Japan Post Offices - but hours of operation are less than 7Eleven stores.

• Like 1

Any advice on where to exchange hard currency?  Thanks for the advice about ATMs, but I’d need some details/numbers/facts before choosing that option again.  Two fees on a single withdrawal in Portugal, atm with the network logo (applicable to Bank of America), totaling over $10. 

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

Japan has just passed the one year deadline before the 2020 Olympics. Already there are many new features open for foreign travelers. Many independent foreign exchange shops are now open in Tokyo.

When you stay in Japan, your hotel concierge can give you directions.

Don’t bother getting money beforehand or using the exchange booths/offices. Both ways the charged rate isn’t really good.

- Get yourself a credit card which doesn’t charge foreign currency fees.

- Use ATMs along the way in Japan. Very easy and very safe!

- There’s a 7eleven store at every second corner. All have an ATM. 

(Also Lawson or Family Mart, for some reason we preferred 7eleven).

- The charge will be shown before you proceed with the transaction. 

Depending on the amount the fee will be around 108 or 216 JPY, so one or two USD - hardly worth worrying about. Also, the exchange rate is much better... bottom line: you pay less.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Miaminice said:

- Get yourself a credit card which doesn’t charge foreign currency fees.

In most cases, using a credit card rather than an ATM card results in huge 'cash advance' fees.  Not a good option IMO.

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

In most cases, using a credit card rather than an ATM card results in huge 'cash advance' fees.  Not a good option IMO.

I have a credit card which does not charge any fees. No ATM fees, no foreign currency fees, no advance fees. I use it all over the world and never have to worry about exchanging different currencies before a trip.

Should the bank of the ATM charge any fees, my credit card company reimburses the charge. The charges of e.g. 7eleven ATMs in Japan were less than 2USD, so I never even cared about sending in the receipts.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, Miaminice said:

I have a credit card which does not charge any fees. No ATM fees, no foreign currency fees, no advance fees. I use it all over the world and never have to worry about exchanging different currencies before a trip.

Should the bank of the ATM charge any fees, my credit card company reimburses the charge. The charges of e.g. 7eleven ATMs in Japan were less than 2USD, so I never even cared about sending in the receipts.

May I ask which card you use?  It sounds very good.

Thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

May I ask which card you use?  It sounds very good.

Thanks for the advice.

Santander Visa 1plus - however, that one is available in Germany/Europe only.
I know there is a card with similar benefits in the US, can´t remember the name though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, Milhouse said:

Charles Schwab Amex?

TD bank has a great ATM Debit Card.  You have to check out their rates as they differ depending on the account you have.

From my experience, Credit Cards used as an ATM card, will charge you for a cash advance.  You pay an initial fee + interest starts the date of transaction.  ATM Debit cards, on the other hand, debit from your checking account.  Depending on your bank, that's the best and cheapest means of getting cash from a Bank ATM, and you get the interbank rate for the day of the transaction.  Normally, bank ATM's don't charge a fee, but non-Bank ATMs, such as 7eleven mentioned above, seem to charge a nominal fee.  🍷