Three Nights pre cruise in Barcelona

Looking for some help on picking a hotel prior to our cruise in April 2020.

We have never been to Barcelona but from my research being on the Rambla 

seems to be the most convenient location for sights, restaurants etc

The four hotels that we are looking at are:

Hotel 1898 ( great location although pretty $$)

Hotel Bagues ( close to Hotel 1898)

Grand Hotel Central

Hotel Continental

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We probably

need to book soon.

Had to laugh about your map of undesirable areas!  Actually, you need to be ultra cautious when you are on Las Ramblas as Barcelona is one of the top countries for pickpocketing (along with Rome and Rio).  It is not unusual to have someone pour ketchup (or something) on you and while they "help you" clean up, your things are taken.

Rio is a great city - just watch your handbag, camera or other belongings in your pockets.

We got off a cruise in Barcelona and spent a night at the Hotel DO, plaça Reial which is a short block from las Ramblas but without the nasty stuff that goes on there.  The hotel is a boutique hotel and just lovely.  Great staff too and we liked the lunch we had there so much we repeated it for dinner!   I think it would make a lovely base for three pre-cruise nights and it is a short taxi ride to the port.

Thank you for all the suggestions for a hotel in Barcelona.

Actually our TA is recommending the 1898 however it seems like

they are not taking reservations for April  2020 until November.

She says it is a wonderful hotel but I am thinking that it could also

be wonderfully expensive!!

So in the meantime should we be thinking about making a reservation

elsewhere?? Hate to wait and then not get a decent place to stay?

Any ideas?

We spent 3-nights pre-cruise in Barcelona at Le Meridien hotel.   It's across the street from 1898, and we liked it very much.   We chose that hotel because of our Marriott points and because we wanted to be near Ramblas (hotel is just off it) and La Boqueria (the market, maybe our favorite place in Barcelona), Gothic Quarter, etc.    I suspect you're not Marriott members or you would have mentioned that, but perhaps you might want to look into Le Meridien.   Marriott often has good specials.  Btw, the hotel in no way felt as if we were in a stateside Marriott: felt very much as if we were where we were —Spain.   Good luck.   We LOVE Barcelona. 

We stayed at the Grand Hotel two years ago and it was great.  Excellent service (upgraded to a suite) and lovely rooftop bar.  They also took us to the cruise terminal in their car as part of our room rate.  I would stay there again.

Just thought I'd share a different idea for you.  We stayed at the Alma Hotel, which is in the Eixample area of Barcelona, the newer area with upscale shopping and restaurants, as well as in walking distance of the Sagrada Familia and other Gaudi architectural masterpieces.  It is also away from the craziness of Las Ramblas, yet easy to get to the old city when you want.

The Alma is a modern renovation of an older building and had excellent service (I am not on the payroll of the Alma, we were just pleased with our stay there!).

• Like 1

For us, staying at Le Meridien was nothing at all like staying on Times Square.   Also, we spent very little time on La Rambla.   But it sure was convenient for La Boqueria, which we visited/ate at every day.   Easy to understand, though, that many people would better enjoy staying somewhere different.

2 hours ago, wripro said:

Staying on La Rambla is like saying in Times Square in NY. Go there for a few hours (mainly for La Boqueria) but escape as soon as you can.

We agree once again.  People need to be aware that locals in Spain have dinner very late at night so the noise coming from restaurants/bars can be a problem for those jet-lagged individuals trying to get some rest before their cruise.  In my opinion, noise is one of the worst issues when selecting a hotel in Barcelona which is why we stay away from La Rambla and other busy areas.

We heard no noise whatsoever in Le Meridien, and we are highly noise-sensitive.    I have no wish to debate the pros and cons of staying wherever.    I  seem to be in the minority, and I couldn't care less.   Main thing:  My hope is that snorkel lover finds lovely accommodations that suit and delight in as many ways as possible.

5 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

Just thought I'd share a different idea for you.  We stayed at the Alma Hotel, which is in the Eixample area of Barcelona, the newer area with upscale shopping and restaurants, as well as in walking distance of the Sagrada Familia and other Gaudi architectural masterpieces.  It is also away from the craziness of Las Ramblas, yet easy to get to the old city when you want.

The Alma is a modern renovation of an older building and had excellent service (I am not on the payroll of the Alma, we were just pleased with our stay there!).

Just read many good reviews on TA on the Alma Hotel so it is definitely in the running. Thank you, Anna!

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We agree once again.  People need to be aware that locals in Spain have dinner very late at night so the noise coming from restaurants/bars can be a problem for those jet-lagged individuals trying to get some rest before their cruise.  In my opinion, noise is one of the worst issues when selecting a hotel in Barcelona which is why we stay away from La Rambla and other busy areas.

I am a very light sleeper so this is certainly something good to know. Thank you TC.

We were in Barcelona for 3 nights pre-cruise in October. It is a great city! Our hotel of choice was Hotel Colon, right across from the Cathedral of Barcelona. Wonderful location, roof top terrace with great views, side walk cafe for people watching and easy walk to Gothic Quarter and Las Rambles, breakfast was included.

Just another option. Enjoy your trip.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, snorkle lover said:

Thank you for all the suggestions for a hotel in Barcelona.

Actually our TA is recommending the 1898 however it seems like

they are not taking reservations for April  2020 until November.

She says it is a wonderful hotel but I am thinking that it could also

be wonderfully expensive!!

So in the meantime should we be thinking about making a reservation

elsewhere?? Hate to wait and then not get a decent place to stay?

Any ideas?

That they werent taking advance reservations for less than a year from now sounded strange, so I went directly to their website and I'm able to put down dates for an April 2020 reservation with no problem. Who told you that?

2 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

That they werent taking advance reservations for less than a year from now sounded strange, so I went directly to their website and I'm able to put down dates for an April 2020 reservation with no problem. Who told you that?

I know it did seem strange to me too but I did not look into myself.

Our TA was the one who told us. 

6 minutes ago, gma rae said:

We were in Barcelona for 3 nights pre-cruise in October. It is a great city! Our hotel of choice was Hotel Colon, right across from the Cathedral of Barcelona. Wonderful location, roof top terrace with great views, side walk cafe for people watching and easy walk to Gothic Quarter and Las Rambles, breakfast was included.

Just another option. Enjoy your trip.

5 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

Dont know anything about the Alma hotel, but I would much rather stay in the Eixample area , specially if its near the Passeig de Gracia, than on any hotel on Las Ramblas. The thought of being forced to go in and out every day onto that street would be a deal breaker for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snorkle lover said:

I know it did seem strange to me too but I did not look into myself.

Our TA was the one who told us. 

Well, your TA is misinforming you. You can book directly, why would you go thru a TA for that?