Refundable vs. Non-Refundable Credits

TM

1 hour ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Yeah, this confused me a bit.  We had an excursion get cancelled and we opted to take a cheaper excursion (only thing available) through same provider.  I thought they would refund the difference.  Instead they refunded the larger one as OBC and then charged the cheaper one.  The good thing for us was that we had a large amount of OBC that was supposed to be nonrefundable.  This essentially converted all of our non-refundable OBC to refundable so now I'm supposed to be getting a check for about $1500!  (approx. $960 of which was the excursion refund and the remainder which was originally nonrefundable) 

I think they do that cancel and then rebook for bookkeeping reasons. It sure did work out wonderfully for you.

The two are unrelated. On my Alaskan cruises, it was around $40 for the refund on port fees and taxes. My prepaid shore excursion amount was $74.95. The TA's credit is listed as "Promotional Credit" on my stateroom account, which is why it's nonrefundable. It's not a credit that the TA purchased.

On our transatlantic last fall, we received refundable onboard credit due to a change in itinerary--missing three ports. My refund check on that cruise was around $500. It helped that we had prepaid gratuities as a perk on that cruise.