Name a request where Seabourn exceeded expectations

Mark56

3 hours ago, Mark56 said:

I would love to hear some stories about good service where Seabourn rose to the occasion on a special request. 

During a cruise in the Med in 2015, a woman leaving for an excursion, whilst rubbing hand lotion on, had her wedding ring fly off and bounce overboard.  Captain Mark Dexter told her to proceed with the excursion and promised to do all that was necessary to help her make an insurance claim on her return.  However, as soon as she left he called in Divers and was able to hand her the ring on her return.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/micahsolomon/2018/08/13/wow-customer-service-a-thousand-miles-from-shore/#245eda407527

• Like 4

We were about to go ashore from Ovation in May (2019).

As we walked past the Hotel Director’s  office to the Gangway on Deck 5,  my wife removed her sunglasses from the case, and discovered that screw for one hinge had come out and was missing.

Kevin Huxham, the Hotel Director was talking  to someone in his office doorway and saw what had happened.

He took the sunglasses from her and showed us into his office (there was a cold wind coming through the open door next to the Gangway).

He then excused himself and came back about 10 minutes later with the sunglasses repaired with a new screw in place.!

That’s what I call service.

We were “Wowed” that he would take the trouble to do this ! 👍😀

• Like 2

On the Spirit in 2009 (boy, time flies), a doctor (Bill) and his wife from Kentucky and about eight of their friends took their first Seabourn cruise.  I was talking with Bill and he said that his wife's birthday was a week away while on board.  MIght Seabourn do something special for her if he asked, like a nice cake?  I said perhaps more than that and asked the maitre to stop by or table.  After hearing Bill's request for a simple cake, the maitre excused himself and came back twenty minutes later.  He asked Bill if he would meet with the chef and himself the following morning to discuss possibilities.  Sure enough, there was a special, surprise dinner party in honor of Bill's wife and for all of their friends on her birthday.  All of her favorite foods were specially prepared, there was a fancy birthday cake for everyone to share, table decorations, and her favorite wines.  We were also invited.   Seabourn seemed to love doing special things like this and went way above and beyond.  Of course, it was easier to do then with only 204 passengers on board, but I'm sure that there have been many such instances since.  

• Like 1

We arrived into Ft. Lauderdale 8 hours late due to a medical emergency with on of the crew (some of you know this situation).  Within 2 hours of determining how severe our delay would be, we were all sent an apology letter that also included instructions to send Seabourn receipts for whatever additional expenses we incur getting home and SB would reimburse us.

19 hours ago, Mark56 said:

I would love to hear some stories about good service where Seabourn rose to the occasion on a special request. 

The ring story certainly stretches the imagination to accept the fact that in all that murky water identified as deep, and bottom sediment, they were able with pinpoint precision to locate the ring, unless the nearby divers just happened to be treasure divers with the right equipment in the habit of looking for things like this. Happy ending. But today I am just looking for normal service standards from Seabourn like the good old days and thrilled when we experience that.

I prefer to look at this from the angle of exceptional service.  While on our recent May/June Kobe to Vancouver itinerary, we witnessed a terrible fall by a passenger in his 90s. This took place in Russia, on the steep steps from the customs hall.  We were there to see a SB nurse come running to assess the situation and as we were walking toward the ship (not wanting to be part of the stressful situation after the very capable nurse arrived) we saw the doctor arriving.  Several days later, we heard from the injured man and his wife that they were pleased beyond their expectations with the medical care he received onboard.  

I had been so worried that this passenger (who was not awake  initially after the fall) might be left behind in a very remote port.  No such worries!  Seabourn took care of him and he  recovered (with medical glue to close a head wound) and continued to enjoy the cruise.  

To me, this kind of service is more valuable than other things which become not so important when the chips are truly down.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

A post that I made last December---definitely "above and beyond"

My wife and I have recently completed the transatlantic crossing on the Odyssey from Lisbon to Barbados via Funchal in Madeira. We made our own travel arrangements and took the precaution of arriving in Lisbon on Tuesday 21st November to allow for plenty of time before embarkation at lunchtime on Wednesday 22nd.  All went well until we arrived at Lisbon airport on the Tuesday to find that BA had "mislaid" one of our suitcases---not a happy situation to be in when you are about to embark on a transatlantic crossing

I made a number of frantic phone calls to BA both in London and Lisbon during Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning and they could find no trace of our suitcase at Heathrow. Fortunately we had split some of our packing between the two suitcases but we were both missing a lot of the things that we needed for out transatlantic crossing.

A last minute shopping expedition in Lisbon for some essentials---white shirt, black trousers, black shoes, belt, underpants, socks, toothbrush, deodorant and an electric shaver. My wife settled for a dress and a blouse. BA had said that they would pay for "essentials" and i await with anticipation to see if they will refund me the Euro400.00 that we spent.

I figured that if our case didn't catch up with us in Funchal then we could embark on another shopping expedition there to buy additional items.

Once aboard I informed Maria in the Seabourn Square of our predicament. In my opinion Maria should certainly receive the "employee of the month"--if not the year, for the effort she put in to tracking down our suitcase. Upshot was that she managed to locate the case in Heathrow, get it flown to Lisbon and then flown on to Funchal. The Seabourn Port Agent in Funchal collected the missing case from the airport and it was in our suite by 10:30am on Friday 24th !!!!!

In addition to all of the help that we received from Maria she also informed us that as we were in such a distressing situation she had credited $250.00 to our shipboard account and we were to go into the onboard shop and purchase anything that we needed. All this despite the fact that we had not made our travel arrangements through Seabourn.

I think that this is a classic example of the sort of service that you can expect from Seabourn-----above and beyond.

• Thanks 1

Can I add that all these great Seabourn people are well trained and managed onboard so that whatever 

initiatives they consider taking and guidance they might need are quickly supported by the HD, CSO, Training Manager and others.

In my experience with 2 other luxury lines, I suggest you won’t find that competence and professionalism, which is possibly why I have never seen this thread on those lines’ CC boards.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

Lydiamight - if that is the same Maria who I know (she was my stewardess one cruise several years ago and Murat promoted her mid-cruise to Guest Services) she is amazing.  She is one of those crew, and there are many we've met over the years, that every time I board I hope to see.

PRETTY COOL STORIES😁 I am looking at Seabourn again. My last 3 cruises have been on Silversea and Azamara after years of Mass market. I know Seanourn is high end and I found myself loving the small ship experience.

So I am looking at my first TA crossing in April

and would love your input😀

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

PRETTY COOL STORIES😁 I am looking at Seabourn again. My last 3 cruises have been on Silversea and Azamara after years of Mass market. I know Seanourn is high end and I found myself loving the small ship experience.

So I am looking at my first TA crossing in April

and would love your input😀

Go for it!

We went on our first cruise a few years ago on SB.  It was a one off.  We were celebrating a big birthday and anniversary.  We loved it.  Going on our 6th SB cruise next year 😁

Hi, this will be a "celebration of retirement" cruise....I want to do 2 or 3 in row if possible...….take the TA crossing and since Europe will be right there? Do another 1 (or 2):classic_biggrin:

Both Odyssey and Quest do TA crossings in the Spring of 2020 and different European itineraries afterwards so you have some, IMO, good choices.  We will be on one of those crossings...  Crossings are my favorite - for many reasons.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Typos... Argh

We are booked on the Odyssey - starting on a prior cruise in the Caribbean, although I actually like the Quest's TA better - getting home from BCN is much easier for us than LIS - and we have spent a bit of time in the past in Barcelona at the start / end of Seabourn cruises and never tire of that city. Wine and tapas places, what is not to like?? 😎

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I was looking at the Quest from Miami to Barcelona.  Which are you sailing?

We're on that one, preceeded by Manaus to Miami!  So looking forward to it, full on activity and lots of ports, followed by relaxing sea days across the Atlantic.  

And agree with 2SailingNomads Barcelona is a wonderful city.  

Lois - I have a very strong feeling that you will prefer Seabourn to Silversea.  (I often read the watercooler on SS, and used to post sometimes a year or two ago).  I think it would also apply to JP and Daveywavey;  Seabourn is somehow more user-friendly, IMO,  and  I would think appropriate for all of you, having read your various posts in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Lois - I have a very strong feeling that you will prefer Seabourn to Silversea.  (I often read the watercooler on SS, and used to post sometimes a year or two ago).  I think it would also apply to JP and Daveywavey;  Seabourn is somehow more user-friendly, IMO,  and  I would think appropriate for all of you, having read your various posts in the past.

Thanks for the input. Have you sailed SS as well? I feel SS is very user friendly so if this is even more so? That would be quite a feat.  I travel on my own and SS makes me feel very welcomed:classic_smile:.   I did meet folks on my first cruise with them who have sailed with Seabourn and told me they preferred it over SS.

I do appreciate the input from folks who have first hand experience on both lines though.

I think I got spoiled after that first SS cruise though, after sailing Mass Market for years and years.  I will say I don't miss the "BIG SHIPS"...I also took a river cruise in 2016 and LOVED IT! I am taking another one in October:classic_smile:

Back in April I tried Azamara for the first time and of course human nature kicks in and I was comparing them to SS...….no comparison.  I had some major issues on AZ...…..and although overall I had a nice cruise, I don't plan on booking with them again.

Yes, I have, Lois - several times though not for the past 5 years or so.  To me, no comparison, but obviously that is entirely personal.  I am sure some people prefer Silversea - you will have to make your own mind up but I am sure that you will find Seabourn pretty good.

I think the last few posts have been hi-jacking the original idea of the OP - maybe we should now stick to the point or go elsewhere!

I don't think this is hijacking the OP's original thread.  I didn't have a request, but feel this is SB going beyond what is expected without asking for something.  My wife and I took our first SB cruise last month and were VERY PLEASANTLY surprised, early on the cruise, when we headed to a couple of deck chairs to lay in the sun and one of the waiters delivered two ice waters, before we were even seated, and then asked what else he could get for us.  Something small, but something big!

Seabourn planned and executed our wedding at sea (well, officially “vow exchange” since they can’t perform legal weddings)... lovely invitations (beyond just the usual Seabourn invites, food, music, and a lovely wedding cake.  They also helped some friends onboard organize mini hen/stag parties the evening before AND helped my husband plan a surprise Indian dinner after our ceremony.  😍

• Like 1

I do have a pre-cruise compliment:classic_smile: when I was on the phone with the rep, she told me I get 2 complimentary bottles of my choice in the cabin.  I love Pinot Noir so will get a bottle of that a bottle of Frangelico...she said they will replace them as needed.

22 nights, I think I will finish that wine before the other but I love Frangelico on the rocks:classic_biggrin: