Mass brawl on P&O Britannia

Ray66

It's to be hoped that all those involved are banned from cruising not just with P&O but ALL cruise lines. It's the only way to deal with these yobs. No one wants this sort of behaviour on their cruise.

• Like 1

This "afternoon of patriotic partying" amused me...The ship was sailing at 4.30 pm from Bergen, so the crowds would have gathered for a 4pm start, and it would all be over before 5pm. Trying to get a drink at all is difficult- we usually remember the free voucher for a glass of bubbly at any sailaway party, and it takes many minutes for the waiter to return with that- and the event lasts less than an hour, so I should think 2 drinks tops- unless you placed a mass order. Then it all fizzles out, and people go to change for dinner (especially as it was a formal night)  

It appears to have been a few people in the buffet at 2am, having a barney, and being stopped by the staff.  6 injured, and all participants held in their cabins through the sea day, and police waiting at Southampton. 

The couple from Essex were released from custody this morning.

None of the people on this cruise who write on forums I read on social media, knew anything at all about this until they read about it when they returned home.

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

I thought the clown had triggered the fight. 

According to some news reports a passenger turned up to a black-tie event dress as a clown, which some passengers reacted badly to. 

The event was at 4pm, the fight at 2am. I would think the clown may have been the catalyst but the 9 hours of alcohol would have been the cause. 

Both P&O and the Hampshire police deny that there was a clown involved. It seems that the buffet had very few people in it at that time. Most people knew nothing about it- even the reporter said he was in his cabin when the call went out. 

What surprises me is that the ship made an emergency tannoy announcement about the fight. I understand the need to alert the security staff to the situation but surely this could have been done over the staff's radios? 

I know the clown did not start the fight (for all we know there was not even a clown) but it makes the story more interesting than 'six people were attacked on Britannia'