Amsterdam Pre-Cruise Hotel: Movenpick or DoubleTree by Hilton

Quick Question:  Sailing on the Brillance of the Seas next summer.  Rooms are available at the Movenpick and DoubleTree by Hilton at similar rates.  Looking for cleanliness and convenience (easy transfer from airport, to cruise terminal and local transportation for sightseeing and canal rides, etc.) as our top priorities. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks much!

The Movenpick is literally part of the Amsterdam cruise port building.  You can't get any closer to your ship.  You will need no transport on departure day.  It's also close to the train station (10-15 minute walk) if that is how you wish to get from the airport to city center.  You can also walk to the canals and other major sites.  If you're not walkers, then there are trams and taxis to help you.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Double Tree and were very pleased.  It was easy to take the train from the airport and make the short walk to the hotel.  The tram is also very convenient.  The  Movenpick is closer to the port. However, we walked to the ship from the Double Tree.  It took us about 15 minutes or so.  

Both nice hotels. However location of Doubletree is more close to city center. Also it has a bar with great cityview. Movenpick is next to the cruiseterminal.

I stayed at the Doubletree two years ago by myself. I liked it because:

- staff were extremely kind and helpful, allowed me to check in really early morning after an overseas night flight (in fact the gal that checked me in, left the front desk, literally ran up to my assigned room to check to make sure it had been cleaned and then ran back down before giving me my keys - I have NEVER had such an attentive person checking me in, she was a gem)

- close walk to everything, had a Starbucks attached, nice atmosphere, clean, rooftop bar was lovely, felt very safe (single female traveler for that trip), 

- I had a great view of the canals, train station, etc.

- while it was close to everything it wasn't crazy with noise etc, because of just being on the outside edge of the busiest parts

- took a taxi to the port, was approx 10 Euros with tip and super short drive (maybe 10 mins with lights, traffic at the port etc).

I am going back in 2 weeks with my hubby and decided to stay there again, because of the positive experience even though the Movenpick was a cheaper price. We will also be there for 2 days this trip and wanted to be that much closer to restaurants and activities. The Movenpick from what I can tell only has it's own restaurant in the vicinity so unless you are prepared to walk over to at least the Doubletree area, I believe you would be limited for options - really depends on how long you are staying I guess (one night would be fine).

Last time I did try walking to the port by myself, the night before without luggage (just to see how long/awkward a walk it would be the next morning with luggage), and at the half way point I turned back and decided I would take a taxi because I would have luggage. It is very possible to do, but it just wasn't a super easy/smooth walk (i.e. street crossings, rail tracks, traffic, bridge etc.) and I didn't want to be hot and sticky when I got to the port. I was early 40's and fit, so anyone with a lot of luggage or mobility issues would not likely find it an easy walk.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:31 PM, TYTY said:

I don't know anything about those 2 hotels but we just booked 2 nights at the Albus hotel for 6/2020. Got a great rate and has good reviews.

Hi,

I also booked a room at the Albus hotel for June 20-22nd for the 22nd sailing. When are you sailing.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:19 AM, Ine said:

Both nice hotels. However location of Doubletree is more close to city center. Also it has a bar with great cityview. Movenpick is next to the cruiseterminal.

I'm staying at the Movenpick because of its proximity to the port/terminal and it was one of 3 hotels offered by Celebrity as part of its pre-cruise package. If Double Tree had been one of the hotels offered by Celebrity as part of its pre-cruise hotel package, I would have chosen it because it has iMacs in their rooms. 

Shep W.

You will need to get to the ship once,  you will want to get to transportation around the city several times.  The Doubletree is very close , just minutes, to the Centraal Station. trains, trams, canal boats plus easy walking distance to a lot of other tourist areas and plenty of good restaurants. We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it both times.  It is about a 15 minute walk with luggage from the hotel to the port.  It is an easy walk.  Yes, the Movenpick is closer to the ship but you only make that walk once.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Movenpick and loved it - booked it when we cruised into AMS on a transatlantic. We stayed on one of the upper floors - beautiful views overlooking IJ. We stayed in AMS for an entire week before boarding the train to Prague - we had no issues with getting to the city center as we purchased tram/metro passes. Tram 26 has a stop directly across the street from the hotel & will get you to Centraal Station in about 3 minutes - from there we sometimes walked and sometimes took other trams (boarded in front of Centraal Station) to sites further afield.

We have never stayed at the Doubletree so cannot comment. I am sure that either hotel would suit - just depends on your particular preferences.

We are staying at the Doubletree centraal station in a few weeks prior to our cruise.  Price has gone down twice since I booked. If you book keep checking - I always select refundable rates.  First time in Amsterdam and chose for convenience from airport and proximity to city.   Hope it works out for us. 

We also had a great check in experience at the Doubletree.  Arrived at about 10:30AM after an overnight flight.  Hoping to just store my luggage, but front desk clerk found a room that was available and checked us straight in.   Very convenient to Central station. Easy access to trams and walkable to many tourist attractions.