Getting the scooter off/on the ship in ports

DRS/NC

I'll be using a rented scooter on a cruise next month for the first time.

I know I can't take it on the tenders (3 stops), but what's the Princess process for getting off/on in docked ports?

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in Nova Scotia (2) & Newfoundland (dock ports).

I did also post this on the Disabled Passengers forum.

Thanks.

I don’t use a scooter/wheelchair.  I have seen at the gangplank the crew helps passengers on/off the ship and stop other passengers going on/off the gangplank until scooter/wheelchair are clear.

The crew will help carry you plates in the Buffet.  The crew are very helpful.  Our cabin attendant even tied my mom’s shoes on morning.

49 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

I'll be using a rented scooter on a cruise next month for the first time.

I know I can't take it on the tenders (3 stops), but what's the Princess process for getting off/on in docked ports?

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in Nova Scotia (2) & Newfoundland (dock ports).

I did also post this on the Disabled Passengers forum.

Thanks.

You may drive  it on and off the ship.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The OP will most likely have to have help leaving and arriving back on the ship.  There will be ship attendants there ready to help.  It will not be a problem but the ship gangplanks have ridges on them to aid pax when leaving or arriving back on the ship.  Wheelchairs and scooters have to be lifted over the ridges.  Generally there are tow gangplanks used in each port and the OP may be directed to one of them for assistance.  They do provide assistance in the HC/WFM in filling plates and carrying them to the table for those unable to do it themselves.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The OP will most likely have to have help leaving and arriving back on the ship.  There will be ship attendants there ready to help.  It will not be a problem but the ship gangplanks have ridges on them to aid pax when leaving or arriving back on the ship.  Wheelchairs and scooters have to be lifted over the ridges.  Generally there are tow gangplanks used in each port and the OP may be directed to one of them for assistance.  They do provide assistance in the HC/WFM in filling plates and carrying them to the table for those unable to do it themselves.  

Can PAXs in motorized scooters / wheelchairs remain in their scooters /wheelchairs when dining in the MDR, Horizon Court, and specialty restaurants?  Can they sit in their scooters / wheelchairs at the table?

I have seen passengers in motorized wheelchair/scooter sitting in them at tables in main dining room/buffet/specialty restaurants.  The staff will remove one of the regular chairs to accommodate the wheelchair.

I have seen the passenger drive the wheelchair/scooter to a table, transfer to a regular chair and the wait staff will move the wheelchair/scooter to another area and return it when the meal is finished.

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Can PAXs in motorized scooters / wheelchairs remain in their scooters /wheelchairs when dining in the MDR, Horizon Court, and specialty restaurants?  Can they sit in their scooters / wheelchairs at the table?

I have seen people in the MDR, HC, etc sitting in their wheelchairs at the tables.  All the scooters I have seen, the person gets out of the scooter and sits in a chair.  A ship staff moves the scooter to a convenient location and brings it back when the person is ready to leave.  However they may indeed allow you to remain in the scooter if there is enough room.  Princess tries very hard to accommodate all of the pax.