Portland Maine Lobster Restaurant Recommendations

Carol28

I've two suggestions for restaurants and would like to know which one is better or if another restaurant should be added to the list.  The two I know are Porthole Restaurant and Portland Lobster Restaurant. Has anyone a suggestion or favor one over the other?

Thank you!

Take  your pick between Porthole and Portland Lobster.  Add to the mix another in the same class, is Becky's Diner.  There is also a new place on the waterfront, Luke's Lobster, haven't been there, but heard good things.  More fine dining than the others would be Boone's.

We ate at Portland Lobster Restaurant on the waterfront not long ago, it's an easy & straight walk from the cruise terminal, about 10 minutes - not a fancy place ... order/pay & pickup/find a table and sit down/eat, outdoor seating available.  Reasonably priced (not expensive) but not as much meat as the nicer ones we had in Bar Harbor, but still pretty good, freshness tasted.  

Link to post (scroll to #192) w. picture below ... 

If we had a car and not just there for 1/2 day on a port stop - would've gone back to Bayley's Lobster Pound, about 1/2 hour & 15 miles south at Scarborough, Maine.  Soft shell lobsters should be in season now, yummy !!

Edited by mking8288

• 3 weeks later...

They are... and yes, they are YUM!!! I cooked 4 last night. 

Honestly, if you're looking for boiled/steamed lobster on the waterfront any place that serves it is good. If you want a lobster roll or something else made with lobster, then it might make a difference where you get it. 

On 7/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, chengkp75 said:

Take  your pick between Porthole and Portland Lobster.  Add to the mix another in the same class, is Becky's Diner.  There is also a new place on the waterfront, Luke's Lobster, haven't been there, but heard good things.  More fine dining than the others would be Boone's.

I love Becky's diner.  I think it is a real Maine atmosphere.  I had wonderful lobster pie there last year.  

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, happywhencruising said:

I live in Portland. Visitors and locals like Dimillo's on the Waterfront. Avoid Boone's.

We enjoyed Dimillo's when we visited Portland this October.  It worked well for our group and we were able to make reservations in advance.  Nice views.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:39 PM, happywhencruising said:

I live in Portland. Visitors and locals like Dimillo's on the Waterfront. Avoid Boone's.

Been to Boone's since Harding Lee Smith took over?  Far different from the old place.  Demillo's is overrated based on their previous reputation, and overpriced.

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Been to Boone's since Harding Lee Smith took over?  Far different from the old place.  Demillo's is overrated based on their previous reputation, and overpriced.

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, we went to Boone's February 2019. Service was awful, food was terrible. Never again!

We still like Dimillo's. I have been going there for 50 years ( starting when they were located on the other side of Commercial Street). They are on the their third generation of the same family ownership.   I find the food good, the prices reasonable and the serve consistent. 

Edited by happywhencruising
added information