Edge or Regatta

hulamoon

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Are you sure?  I was told you only get 1 specialty reservation per cruise and that the rest will be charged at like $39pp      and there are very limited specialty options  compered to O. 

Glad it fits you..... and your needs. .    I am sure it is wonderful for you.... Glad you found your niche. 

If you are on a 7-13 day cruise you get 2 nights in the specialty restaurants. You can use both in Nobu, or both in Prego or one in Nobu and one in Prego. If the cruise is longer than 13 days it's 4 nights in the specialty restaurants although the second two reservations need to be made once onboard the ship. The sushi bar is always first come, first served.

In addition to Prego and Nobu there is also Chiarascurro which is Brazilian and Silk which is Chinese inspired. Those two don't count towards the specialty restaurants. So in reality, in addition to the main dining room, there are 4 other venues. 

(How many are on the two smaller ships on O?)

If someone wants to go to Prego or Nobu any additional times, it is $30 a person. Considering that if you went to any of Nobu's restaurants throughout the world you'd be looking at a bill of $250-$500 a person, I consider $30 a person quite a bargain and that includes all wines, liquor, etc.

Additionally if you're in a PH or above you have no limit as to how many times you can go to Prego or Nobu, if there's room. And if you're in a PH or above if you can't get into the restaurant you're free to order from both restaurants and eat in your suite.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, AtA said:

All drinks are included and specialty restaurants are free. That includes Nobu's restaurant onboard.

Oceania's food is excellent as is Crystal's.

I've found while Oceania's service is very good, it can't compare to Crystal's.

That is not entirely correct.

Crystal allows you 1 reservation per specialty restaurant per booking and charges “a nominal fee”  for additional ones (from Crystal’s FAQ):

Crystal guests are entitled to and may request for one (1) reservation in each specialty restaurant, per booking, via Crystal’s Priority Check-in and Planning Center (PCPC). Additional reservations may be requested, once on board, for a nominal $30 per person reservation fee, subject to availability at time of request.

I agree that Oceania’s service cannot compare to Crystal’s - Oceania’s is much better IME.

Of course this is my opinion and my experience and yours is obviously different - we are both entitled to our opinions as this is a subjective rather than an objective matter.

That said, I will grant you that Crystal’s enrichment program is second to none.

PS Crystal’s internet is also superior to Oceania’s but the food is not.

Edited by Paulchili

15 hours ago, AtA said:

If you are on a 7-13 day cruise you get 2 nights in the specialty restaurants. You can use both in Nobu, or both in Prego or one in Nobu and one in Prego. If the cruise is longer than 13 days it's 4 nights in the specialty restaurants although the second two reservations need to be made once onboard the ship. The sushi bar is always first come, first served.

In addition to Prego and Nobu there is also Chiarascurro which is Brazilian and Silk which is Chinese inspired. Those two don't count towards the specialty restaurants. So in reality, in addition to the main dining room, there are 4 other venues. 

(How many are on the two smaller ships on O?)

If someone wants to go to Prego or Nobu any additional times, it is $30 a person. Considering that if you went to any of Nobu's restaurants throughout the world you'd be looking at a bill of $250-$500 a person, I consider $30 a person quite a bargain and that includes all wines, liquor, etc.

Additionally if you're in a PH or above you have no limit as to how many times you can go to Prego or Nobu, if there's room. And if you're in a PH or above if you can't get into the restaurant you're free to order from both restaurants and eat in your suite.

Well, all I have to go on is what Crystal sent me in print  And it said  you get 1 and then pay..  It really is un important as you really found you love Crystal...     Its fine that NOBU only charges $30 for a $500 meal...  That's assuming you like NOBU.. ( I would not cross the street to eat at NOBU for free)      

For me  Crystal just dosen't fit my wants and needs no matter what they offer or do not.   After sailing everything from NCL to Regent  over the past 30 years, only Oceania works for me

Neither of us is wrong.. You for Crystal and Me for Oceania  

On 8/7/2019 at 12:19 AM, Paulchili said:

That is not entirely correct.

Crystal allows you 1 reservation per specialty restaurant per booking and charges “a nominal fee”  for additional ones (from Crystal’s FAQ):

Crystal guests are entitled to and may request for one (1) reservation in each specialty restaurant, per booking, via Crystal’s Priority Check-in and Planning Center (PCPC). Additional reservations may be requested, once on board, for a nominal $30 per person reservation fee, subject to availability at time of request.

I agree that Oceania’s service cannot compare to Crystal’s - Oceania’s is much better IME.

Of course this is my opinion and my experience and yours is obviously different - we are both entitled to our opinions as this is a subjective rather than an objective matter.

That said, I will grant you that Crystal’s enrichment program is second to none.

PS Crystal’s internet is also superior to Oceania’s but the food is not.

If you decide you want to make your two reservations in only one of the restaurants you are allowed to do that. You do not have to make one in each of the restaurants. However, you can only make one reservation online before boarding and to get the second reservation in the same restaurant if you prefer to only dine in the one restaurant, you do have to wait until you're onboard.

So say you prefer to only dine in Umi Uma. You make one reservation online before boarding and once on the ship, you go and speak to the maitre'd and you'll most likely be able to book a second reservation in Umi Uma FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!

If you then decide that heck, you really should also eat in Prego, (meaning it's your third specialty reservation) then yes, you will be charged $30.

"I agree that Oceania’s service cannot compare to Crystal’s - Oceania’s is much better IME."

Well considering that during my last cruise on O, the drawers in our PH when we went to put our clothes away still had the previous occupant's handbag, drugs, and other paraphernalia and the draws when I went to put my clothes away were still full of sand and dirt, I beg to differ. (I have the pictures to prove it)

And when we went onto the balcony and it was literally caked with 1/2" of salt spray and had not been cleaned, with the cushions also filthy, I beg to differ. (I have the pictures to prove it)

Also considering when I asked at tea time what was in the sandwich and was told it was egg salad and then when I bit into it and had to spit out a shrimp (I have a food sensitivity to shellfish). I went to the manager of tea time and he was unconcerned about it and his only comment was, I'll talk to the waiter. This is especially upsetting because if someone had a severe allergy, it could have killed them, so I beg to differ.

We then went to the concierge to politely voice our concerns, especially about the allergy issue and he said he'd look into it and get back to us. That was 3 years ago and we have never heard anything further. We even wrote the company after our cruise. Crickets. 

If it had been Crystal (well first of all none of that would have happened on Crystal!) we would have heard from everyone, received cruise credit, apologies, etc, etc. So yes, I beg to differ.

Now having said that, I fully believe in giving a company (restaurant, ship, etc) that generally gets good reviews another chance so I'm taking my son on O this January and truly expect to have a wonderful time. 

"PS Crystal’s internet is also superior to Oceania’s but the food is not."

Agreed. They're equal or they were the last time I was on O.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Neither of us is wrong.. You for Crystal and Me for Oceania  

Agreed and that's why there are different cruise lines. I just wanted the OP to know there was also another cruise line to look at.

I can't compare the 2 lines, but have done 2 cruises on Regatta (in 14 and then in 18)...both times there was nothing to complain about, on the ship, except for the Internet. Owners suite in 14 and a PH in 18. I guess the PH bathroom was a little bit of a change from the OS! 🙂 I'm actually quite fond of Regatta and would gladly cruise on it, anytime.

15 hours ago, ORV said:

I thought this was comparing Celebrity and Oceania? How about we get back to that. 

The OP had also mentioned Seabourn, Silversea and Regent which is why I also brought up Crystal to round out the list.

4 hours ago, sitraveler said:

I’m looking forward to the SF to Papeete on a refurbished Regatta. I miss the light switch on the headboard which disappeared on a previous refit. 

OH Lou you are too funny

I hated those darn switches also 😁

OP,

I have been on 25 Celebrity cruise and will be taking my 5th O cruise next month.  I obviously like Celebrity; but ever since my first O cruise 5 years ago on Regatta, O has been my favorite line.  I have been on the Edge twice and as you know, it is a lovely ship, but does have some major negatives to me, along with many positives.  But cruising on Oceania, to me, is like cruising on Celebrity 20 years ago when it was a much better experience.  Like you, I am tired of going to the Celebrity dining rooms seeing the same menus over and over again.  The Oceania food is a very pleasant change from X.  Not constantly being attacked by photographers, having merchandise hawked at you and having to pay for every little extra really makes O such a pleasure.  Try it, you will like it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it became your new favorite line.  But do try the Riviera and Marina after the Regatta, to see how awesome a ship can be.

• Like 1