2020 Viking Passage ending in Boston instead of NYC

I like vacation

I received an email from my TA on Tuesday notifying us that the 2020 Viking Passage, that we booked in October, was terminating in Boston instead of NYC.  Ending in NYC was a big factor in booking this cruise as we live here.  I know that HAL can basically do whatever it wants regarding port changes as we had 3 weather related port changes on our January Caribbean cruise.  Just curious as to how often HAL changes either the embarkation or disembarkation location.  HAL is offering $200 for those of us booked in a Verandah Stateroom but that won't cover the cost to travel from Boston to NYC.   Here is the email:

The sailing you are booked on is now a 19-Day Viking Passage sailing from Copenhagen to Boston.
You will be re-accommodated to the below voyage in the same stateroom and category at the rate already paid. A new booking number and confirmation will be available to you by Friday, August 2nd for the following voyage:

Zuiderdam
19-Day Viking Passage Copenhagen to New York
August 19th, 2020

As a gesture of appreciation from Holland America for booked guests who choose to retain their reservation on board this sailing, a Shipboard Credit will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category:
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Pinnacle Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Neptune Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Signature Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Vista Suite bookings
$100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Verandah Stateroom bookings
$100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Lanai Stateroom bookings
$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Ocean-view Stateroom bookings
$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Interior Stateroom bookings

All the above Shipboard Credits are denominated in USD.
Cancellation Protection Plan cost and Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.
Should you elect to cancel, Holland America will refund all funds paid to Holland America Line in full.

Edited by I like vacation
sp

1 hour ago, I like vacation said:

I received an email from my TA on Tuesday notifying us that the 2020 Viking Passage, that we booked in October, was terminating in Boston instead of NYC.  Ending in NYC was a big factor in booking this cruise as we live here.  I know that HAL can basically do whatever it wants regarding port changes as we had 3 weather related port changes on our January Caribbean cruise.  Just curious as to how often HAL changes either the embarkation or disembarkation location.  HAL is offering $200 for those of us booked in a Verandah Stateroom but that won't cover the cost to travel from Boston to NYC.   Here is the email:

The sailing you are booked on is now a 19-Day Viking Passage sailing from Copenhagen to Boston.
You will be re-accommodated to the below voyage in the same stateroom and category at the rate already paid. A new booking number and confirmation will be available to you by Friday, August 2nd for the following voyage:

Zuiderdam
19-Day Viking Passage Copenhagen to New York
August 19th, 2020

As a gesture of appreciation from Holland America for booked guests who choose to retain their reservation on board this sailing, a Shipboard Credit will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category:
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Pinnacle Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Neptune Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Signature Suite bookings
$125 per person (up to $250 per stateroom) for Vista Suite bookings
$100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Verandah Stateroom bookings
$100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Lanai Stateroom bookings
$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Ocean-view Stateroom bookings
$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Interior Stateroom bookings

All the above Shipboard Credits are denominated in USD.
Cancellation Protection Plan cost and Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.
Should you elect to cancel, Holland America will refund all funds paid to Holland America Line in full.

You could take Amtrak or the bus, it won't cost $200.  I looked on American Airlines for Saturday June 6, 2020, it is $85 for a ticket.

Yes, the 10-day New England cruise on Sep 7 from NYC to Quebec City has also been re-routed to start from Boston to Quebec City with changes to the ports. I have posted the detailed itinerary changes in the roll call.

I am not surprised that HAL changed the disembarkation city back to Boston.

For years (including this year), the embarkation and disembarkation city has been Boston.

You can always cancel the cruise as there is plenty of time without any penalties if you refundable deposits.  Otherwise you will lose some money.

The September 17 cruise from Quebec also now ends in Boston.  KK, I'm reasonably sure if someone cancels this would be considered  a cancellation by HAL and not the cruiser even if it was booked with a non-refundable deposit.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

2 hours ago, epanchenko said:

You could take Amtrak or the bus, it won't cost $200.  I looked on American Airlines for Saturday June 6, 2020, it is $85 for a ticket.

I checked the alternatives as well.   Could we travel from Boston to NYC for under $200?  Possibly.  Do I want to sit on Amtrak or a commuter bus for 4 hours after waiting another couple of hours for either to depart?  No.  Could we fly from Logan to JFK on Jet Blue for under $200?  Possibly, but that doesn't include the transfer/taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport or the Uber ride from JFK to home.  That would be for an early afternoon flight departing at approximately 1:30 PM and arriving JFK at 2:52 PM.

Could we have disembarked in NYC with the expedited passengers, walked a few blocks to the subway, paid $5.50 and be home in a little more than 1 hour?  Yes.

This information was posted on our roll:

It seems they have had to change their disembarkation point from New York to Boston due to operational difficulties in New York as the Port Authority there couldn’t accommodate this ship in New York on the 7th September 2020.

How does this occur?  Is HAL low in the pecking order because they don't frequent NYC and got bumped by other cruise lines? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asebastian said:

Yes, the 10-day New England cruise on Sep 7 from NYC to Quebec City has also been re-routed to start from Boston to Quebec City with changes to the ports. I have posted the detailed itinerary changes in the roll call.

We're on this 10-day NE/Canada cruise on 9/7/2020 also. They removed the three ports we booked this cruise for (NY, Charlottetown, and Saguenay), so we're going to cancel it and book something else... I hope they bring this itinerary back someday, because it was perfect.

27 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

There are 7 different bus companies that offer transportation from Boston South Station to NYC.  The cheapest is currently $1.00 per person.  Check out wanderu.  Cost really isn't an issue.

Your right.  For a trip that would probably wind up costing close to $20k, what's another few dollars.  The issue is convenience and the increased commuting time home after a 3 week trip.   Arriving home about 90 minutes after leaving the ship vs 7 to 8 hours later is a big difference to me.  Plus, I would probably fly to JFK and wouldn't be in the mood for another TSA adventure even with Pre Check.

PS: Not interested in any $1 bus or $15 BoltBus fares.  I value my life and still love my DW after 40+ years.

• Like 1

For the OP - do you have travel insurance for this cruise?  a lot of cruise travel insurance include benefits for changed itineraries, even if it's before departure.  For example, we had a Nationwide cruise policy earlier this year for our cruise, and got money back from them after HAL changed our itinerary to skip a port - the announcement from HAL regarding the change was several months before sailing.  I had to wait till after our cruise was over to provide our final statement to show that we actually took the cruise before Nationwide processed the claim, but getting significant money back certainly helped!  I know this doesn't help the fact that you still have to find a way to travel home, but might be a way to at least help pay for it.

1 hour ago, I like vacation said:

Your right.  For a trip that would probably wind up costing close to $20k, what's another few dollars.  The issue is convenience and the increased commuting time home after a 3 week trip.   Arriving home about 90 minutes after leaving the ship vs 7 to 8 hours later is a big difference to me.  Plus, I would probably fly to JFK and wouldn't be in the mood for another TSA adventure even with Pre Check.

PS: Not interested in any $1 bus or $15 BoltBus fares.  I value my life and still love my DW after 40+ years.

I understand the inconvenience.  I live in Manhattan.  When I was looking at a Bermuda cruise, the idea that I take a taxi to the port instead of flying to Miami to go on a Caribbean cruise was very appealing.  The airplane trip back from my upcoming cruise in Seattle this month was switched from a non-stop to a layover because of 787 Max issues.  It is going to take me longer to get home.  I am just rolling with it. 

You had just stated you were worried about the cost of getting to NYC from Boston when the real complaint you had was you were going to be inconvenienced, which is totally justified.  I would not want to spend half a day getting home when I previously did not have to.  I just wanted to point out you don't have to spend a lot of money to get from Boston to NYC for other users of the forum you may face similar problems in the future.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BVsmurfette said:

For the OP - do you have travel insurance for this cruise?  

We booked this cruise while on another HAL cruise using FCDs.  Fortunately, I hadn't purchased travel insurance yet, booked a hotel for 2 or 3 nights in Copenhagen nor booked airfare to Copenhagen so if we do cancel there is no loss.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:41 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

For years (including this year), the embarkation and disembarkation city has been Boston.

You can always cancel the cruise as there is plenty of time without any penalties if you refundable deposits.  Otherwise you will lose some money.

It was NYC disembarkation in 2018 (unless there was a late change) as this was the cruise that attracted us.

We're booked on that cruise now out of Boston; and decided not to cancel when the itinerary changed as we have plans to be in NYC for over 2 weeks at that stage (US Open Tennis). So need to factor in a train trip from NYC to Boston for the start and we should be all set.

Pity we are missing a couple of ports that we were looking forward to, but that's life!

On 8/1/2019 at 1:55 AM, epanchenko said:

On 8/1/2019 at 5:29 AM, I like vacation said:

checked the alternatives as well.   Could we travel from Boston to NYC for under $200? 

I'm not understanding this.  The message from HAL says:

On 7/31/2019 at 11:58 PM, I like vacation said:

a Shipboard Credit will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category:

How do you use a shipboard credit to purchase after cruise travel?

You ca  nfly,   ride he bus,  amtrak from Boson  to NYC for under  . $200.

Rent  a     car.........  

I am happy you posted this,  I may think a bout book it.  Seeing Boston is home  for me.

image.png.53622a46ef4e184b8f34d821e4808c9e.png

The cruise  terminal is very close to Airport and  even closer  to South Staion where you would get  the  train.

Disembarking   in  Boston  is Fast.

Edited by sail7seas

On 8/1/2019 at 4:55 AM, epanchenko said:

Excellent 

I imagine  they full well knew how low  the air fare is before they set the reimbursement amount.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

New York port is a pain ..

On 8/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, I like vacation said:

Well travelling from Boston to NYC on Labor Day weekend (Monday, September 7, 2020) isn't a bed of roses either.  

Exactly, OP.   I've driven between NY and Boston many times -- horrible traffic.  And Amtrak still takes hours.   We were on the Viking Passage last summer; it's a long and exhausting trip (but wonderful!), and I'm sure the last thing you wanted to do at the end of it is travel from Boston to NY.   Sorry this has happened.  It should still be a great cruise, though.

• Thanks 1

Some of us have been planning this trip for years... the idea of sailing into Manhattan was a dream for us. Travel to NY also eats into sightseeing time. As a family of 4, we are only being offered $200 max. It is also Labor Day so there is no 'just get a bus' about it. We have decided to stay overnight in Boston ($500+ for family room) and early train the next morning to avoid Labor day travel ($175-300) and will add on the missed night to NY. 

The positives, we have never been to Boston and we have friends in Halifax - we are now there until 11pm instead of usual late afternoon departure. 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:11 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I think you may be confusing the Voyage of the Vikings with the Viking Passage.  The OP is booked on the latter.  We sailed the Viking Passage last summer (2018); it left from Copenhagen and disembarked in New York.   

As an aside, we were supposed to arrive at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, but we were bumped to Brooklyn because the Carnival Horizon had damaged the pier in Manhattan.  We got word of this change while at sea off Greenland about a week before disembarkation.  (In other words, in the middle of nowhere.)  The change was a PITA for many of us with post-cruise arrangements in Manhattan, and HAL did absolutely nothing for folks on board in terms of making sure we were able to rearrange things.  (No offer of internet or telephone access, for example, and, as we learned when we disembarked, no one had alerted taxis to be at the Brooklyn cruise terminal for our arrival, though they had a week to do so.)  The cruise itself was a great adventure, the disembarkation hassles not so much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Excellent 

I imagine  they full well knew how low  the air fare is before they set the reimbursement amount.

The $85 airfare price that was posted was for June 6, 2020.   Since most airlines don't have their schedules available yet for the actual travel date of September 7, 2020 actual cost is still unknown.   I would love to get an $85 airfare but that still doesn't include the cost of transport from the cruise terminal to Logan nor the ride from the NYC airport to home.  All three expenditures will easily exceed the $150 to $250 OBC that HAL is offering, depending on your cabin type. 

HAL should provide free shuttle buses from the cruise ship terminal in Boston to both Logan and Amtrak.  That would be a step in the right direction.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:55 AM, epanchenko said:

Thank you,

On 8/4/2019 at 1:28 AM, I like vacation said:

The $85 airfare price that was posted was for June 6, 2020.   Since most airlines don't have their schedules available yet for the actual travel date of September 7, 2020 actual cost is still unknown.   I would love to get an $85 airfare but that still doesn't include the cost of transport from the cruise terminal to Logan nor the ride from the NYC airport to home.  All three expenditures will easily exceed the $150 to $250 OBC that HAL is offering, depending on your cabin type. 

HAL should provide free shuttle buses from the cruise ship terminal in Boston to both Logan and Amtrak.  That would be a step in the right direction.

hsnk you