Antarctica and South America on the Zaandam

scubacruiserx2

12 minutes ago, Trend said:

Thank you again, yes I know what you are saying as we had things similar happen when in past cruises I organized small group tour.

Done with that we spend the money where we can and go on our own.

We have had some lovely small groups and made some lifelong friends traveling but it doesn't always work  . In Iceland in June we went with a group with a photographer in each of the three couples and it was great in a 12 passenger van . In another place we booked a private tour and did ask another couple if they wanted to join us . " Too expensive ", was the reply . Their tour got cancelled and so they joined us . We were packed in the center seats while he sat up front and she had the whole back seat . They could care less about photos and did want to wait for us to take any . We had requested an early start and it was ignored putting us behind 3 buses . The light was great in several places but the guide wouldn't stop until later when the light wasn't good ( blinding light in your face instead of at your back ) . Lesson learned ! A different guide next time and we have booked almost all of our tours on our own .

Yes I have had a good one that I planned in Halong Bay but still had two in our group of 10 back out at the last min, yes costing us all more.

Luckily we had an amazing time that could only be done in a larger group as I hired a Junk for an amazing day and everyone was willing to put in the extra money.

Just found it is a gamble and you can not get the time back.

I have planned some successful unusual ones in out of the way places but after the last ones of people backing out and paying the initial deposit I am not up for that anymore so thanks for all your help.

16 hours ago, Trend said:

Yes I have had a good one that I planned in Halong Bay but still had two in our group of 10 back out at the last min, yes costing us all more.

Luckily we had an amazing time that could only be done in a larger group as I hired a Junk for an amazing day and everyone was willing to put in the extra money.

Just found it is a gamble and you can not get the time back.

I have planned some successful unusual ones in out of the way places but after the last ones of people backing out and paying the initial deposit I am not up for that anymore so thanks for all your help.

You're welcome .

12 minutes ago, Trend said:

You are so funny, which port did you take this tour from and who did you use? Were you happy with them as I have read some of the vehicles and drivers are not so conscientious.

Well maybe . This was from Puerto Madryn to Punta Tombo with Max from Sentir Patagonia . It's a long walk on the pier and about a mile each way to penguins .

50 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I knew this thread was going to end sometime, I was hoping that it wouldn't, though.

Thank you , what a nice thing to say . We do have a lot of photos that we didn't edit or use so we may go thru them and post them when we can before this years cruises begin to Antarctica . Here's a couple .

IMG_0847%202_zpsnviznvep.jpg

Tabular icebergs

IMG_0764%202_zpsobnepqvc.jpg

Ice cubes

IMG_1344%202_zpsvh7eqe7w.jpg

Penguins with a snowball

pen_zpsiokdzccp.jpg

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

That bird photo is incredible.

This was the best thread on this board in the 2 years I've been following it.  You told your story so well and had such amazing photos.

Thank you so much for your kind words , they are much appreciated !  I think I have a video of those birds flying around the ship - they were fast . A couple of times they landed in the ice water .