Voyage of the Americas 2021

Nang

There is a Fort Lauderdale to Lima 32 day cruise listed for the Koningsdam in March 2020 which we would love to do in 2021 but although there are many cruises listed up to April 2021 I cannot find this particular one, or any for the K from late Feb to mid April 2021. Would all cruises be listed this far out? Is the K in dry dock early 2021? TIA

that 2020 K'dam voyage is repositioning.  She is too large for Panama Canal and is being repositioned from Caribbean to Alaska.  After Alaska (September 2020) she will be sailing Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. Following Spring she heads back to Alaska.

So, you have one chance and one chance only for that 32 day cruise on K'dam and it is 2020!

42 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

that 2020 K'dam voyage is repositioning.  She is too large for Panama Canal and is being repositioned from Caribbean to Alaska.  After Alaska (September 2020) she will be sailing Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. Following Spring she heads back to Alaska.

So, you have one chance and one chance only for that 32 day cruise on K'dam and it is 2020!

Good information!!

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Actually I believe the Kdam is too big for the older Panama canal locks but could easily fit through the new locks which are 180 ft wide while kdam is 115 ft wide.

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

Actually I believe the Kdam is too big for the older Panama canal locks but could easily fit through the new locks which are 180 ft wide while kdam is 115 ft wide.

I believe it is more to do with the positioning of the life boats on K'dam (and Nieuw Statendam) than the actual width of the ship.  The life boats would interfere with the operation of the 'mules' used in the locks.  That is why they need to sail around South America to get a larger ship to service Alaska. This was from Capt Darrin Bowland on Koningsdam in March/April 2019.

So how does the Caribbean Princess fit through and Kdam can't?  I am no expert but I thought part of the idea of expanding the canal was  so much larger cargo and cruise ships could now transit rather than sail all the way around the tip of south america.

Princess Cruises' Caribbean Princess is scheduled to make a series of thirteen 10-day cruises through the canal beginning Oct. 21, 2017.

12 hours ago, Nang said:

Thanks VMax but does anybody know why there is a 6 week gap in the Ks schedule from late Feb 2021?

I don't see a 6 week gap!

Feb 2nd - Feb 20th - 18 day Circle Hawaii

Feb 20th - Feb 27th - 7 day Mexican Riviera

Feb 27th - March 6th  - 7 day Mexican Riviera 

and every week up to April 24th when she repositions to Vancouver to commence her Alaska schedule.

22 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't see a 6 week gap!

Feb 2nd - Feb 20th - 18 day Circle Hawaii

Feb 20th - Feb 27th - 7 day Mexican Riviera

Feb 27th - March 6th  - 7 day Mexican Riviera 

and every week up to April 24th when she repositions to Vancouver to commence her Alaska schedule.

Thanks for that, my bad. The cruise search engine I used only listed one of the Mexican Rivieria cruises and had a button to hit to bring up the repeat dates - didn't see it so thought there was a gap. Might have to look out for a longer Caribbean cruise instead, possibly the Nieuw Statendam and Celebrity (Reflection/Equinox)