Desserts

Mennis517

We were just on the Insignia. There are no more sugar free desserts. Our waiter on several occasions pointed to the plant based options. My diabetic husband was not happy.  Not everyone wants everything to be soy based. Plus there was only one plant based option unlike before when there were several sugar free options.  We wondered what was in these "new" desserts and if there was something in them he should not have. Oceania needs to help us understand these new menus.. The waitstaff needs to be better informed so they can advise the passengers. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

We were just on the Insignia. There are no more sugar free desserts. Our waiter on several occasions pointed to the plant based options. My diabetic husband was not happy.  Not everyone wants everything to be soy based. Plus there was only one plant based option unlike before when there were several sugar free options.  We wondered what was in these "new" desserts and if there was something in them he should not have. Oceania needs to help us understand these new menus.. The waitstaff needs to be better informed so they can advise the passengers. 

This is inconceivable! There was always at least one sugar free ice cream selection per day. I cannot imagine this!

44 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'd  or the Chef?

What was the plant based dessert??

I am not diabetic  but sometimes the no sugar added or sugar free options are worth having

I have problems with soy  so that would be  not good if they are hidden ingredients

i wonder if all this "New" foods are confusing the staff  as well as pax ?

40 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Did you discuss with the F&B Manager, or Pastry chef?  What was their stmt?  So when you filled out your pre dinner menu the night before, all they had was plant based for the diabetic menu?    Wow, that’s an extreme change in just a few months.    And yes, they had sugar free cookies and pies every night at Terrace a couple of months ago, I know because I tried them!   

Sounds like a misunderstanding or miscommunication.  I've always seen sugar free desserts and cookies etc. in the Terrace at every meal. I avoid them like the plague. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Did you discuss with the F&B Manager, or Pastry chef?  What was their stmt?  So when you filled out your pre dinner menu the night before, all they had was plant based for the diabetic menu?    Wow, that’s an extreme change in just a few months.    And yes, they had sugar free cookies and pies every night at Terrace a couple of months ago, I know because I tried them!   

Yes -very hard to believe. There were sugar free options on Nautica throughout June.

I have had a lot of questions about no sugar free with .the new desserts on Oceania so I thought I would post the answer.

There is no such a thing of sugar free, we always add “non sugar added dessert”

The difference between before and now is that we have increased the selections, before we only had few that we rotated one per day but they repeated after few days

Now we have one that changes every day of the cruise and some day it happen to be that non sugar added dessert is also plant based

Jancruz1

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I have had a lot of questions about no sugar free with .the new desserts on Oceania so I thought I would post the answer.

There is no such a thing of sugar free, we always add “non sugar added dessert”

The difference between before and now is that we have increased the selections, before we only had few that we rotated one per day but they repeated after few days

Now we have one that changes every day of the cruise and some day it happen to be that non sugar added dessert is also plant based

Jancruz1

Do you know if they still have the no sugar added cookies?   They weren’t bad!    But thanks for the clarification, you are right, they weren’t sugar free, they were no sugar added!    

so begs the question  if they still have the "no sugar added "  menu in the GDR or not ?

Or is the  wait staff confused by all this?

There used to be  a no sugar added dessert on the regular dessert menu  then they had a menu of about 6-8 items all no sugar added BUT  you had to ask the waiter for it

This was one of the offerings

image.thumb.png.f356d9bf96d4179f250aa1a80f8490d1.png

7 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Do you know if they still have the no sugar added cookies?   They weren’t bad!    But thanks for the clarification, you are right, they weren’t sugar free, they were no sugar added!    

The had them in Barristas in April

Thanks! So there are no added sugar desserts and cookies, but some may be better than others is what I am understanding from the above posts.   And ya know, I didn’t know the cookies were at Barristas as well!  Thanks!

Edited by Cruseforme

There were no dessert choices on the menu my husband received the day before. I agree this all has to do with communication. We repeat passengers need to know what things are in comparison to the older versions. We did speak to the head waiter about this issue. Again we were directed to the plant based options. The chef was not available to answer our questions. On the Nautica we met with the head chef and maitre’d, but on this short cruise we were just given the menus.

Lyn, the iced cappuccino is still on the menu but not the no sugar added one just the regular version. It is so good!

We do not utilize Terrace so perhaps there were options there. Usually if that is the case, the wait staff will indicate that. My husband said he did not see any sugar free cookies at Baristas.

I guess we just weren’t ready for such a drastic change from our May departure on the. Nautica to our July Insignia Cruise. Another learning curve.

33 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Lyn, the iced cappuccino is still on the menu but not the no sugar added one just the regular version. It is so good!

Is it the milk?  What's an alternative?

3 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

Thanks! So there are no added sugar desserts and cookies, but some may be better than others is what I am understanding from the above posts.   And ya know, I didn’t know the cookies were at Barristas as well!  Thanks!

even with the regular desserts some are better than others  

people have different  opinions or tastes

They  usually have a little sign in front of the no sugar  added cookies plate  but sometimes it gets moved

2 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

There were no dessert choices on the menu my husband received the day before. I agree this all has to do with communication. We repeat passengers need to know what things are in comparison to the older versions. We did speak to the head waiter about this issue. Again we were directed to the plant based options. The chef was not available to answer our questions. On the Nautica we met with the head chef and maitre’d, but on this short cruise we were just given the menus.

That  dessert was on the separate dessert menu  ..a lady at our table asked for the no sugar  menu  & that was one of the desserts

I have had the regular one & yes it is good

Maybe they should just put all the different types of dessert on one menu & mark them 

No sugar added

Spa menu

plant based

Gluten free

Vegan

Lactose free

Regular

then everyone can choose what works for them

something  for my next comment card.....I know Oceania loves to get mine  🤣

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

then everyone can choose what works for them

I've read that there are la-dee-da society people that have pretty much stopped entertaining because they can't meet everyone's diet restrictions.

My husband's cousin Larry had a quad bypass many years ago and ever since he is manic about his diet.  He's now 90 years old so he must have been something right!

However, whenever he came here to a dinner party I had to prepare something different for him, usually some salmon dish.  I could handle that for ONE person, but not for too many, that's for sure.

One time I was serving stuffed peppers (an eggplant-tomato-cheese) stuffing and I made a non-cheese version for him ... then I accidentally served him the "high test" version ... he never noticed and he didn't have a heart attack on the spot so I guess it was okay.

Mura

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 5:27 PM, Pearl64 said:

We do not utilize Terrace so perhaps there were options there. Usually if that is the case, the wait staff will indicate that. My husband said he did not see any sugar free cookies at Baristas.

I guess we just weren’t ready for such a drastic change from our May departure on the. Nautica to our July Insignia Cruise. Another learning curve.

I was told emphatically by the man who knows that NOTHING was eliminated from the menu only things were added..

So I am sorry you had a bad experience..

Jancruz1