New to regent just switched from navigator to explorer

katykrol

I booked a cruise last year for May 2020 on the navigator. My husband came home from work and saw a regent brochure and looked through it and saw a Caribbean cruise for March on he explorer and showed it to me.  We are both big beach people and this itinerary had some new islands for us.  I’ve been reading the regent boards ever since we booked our cruise and have read all the “ controversy” regarding the navigator, so I have been somewhat apprehensive. I took the advice from here and booked a mid ship cabin.  The new itinerary was just a bit more expensive for the lowest priced cabin on the explorer.

i also have read that the explorer is a fan favorite, so I was super excited to see if we could swing it.  We got the last guarantee h cabin.  Which leads to my question. I know many people have said way too small, etc etc, but we have cruised on azamara and that Cabeen was small and we were fine on it for 11 days. We never eat meals in our cabin except for coffee in the am so room to eat isn’t an issue for us.  However, the regent website for the virtual tour for the h cabin shows a g I believe because it shows a walk in closet and the cabin description says built in closet.  I looked on the suite guru and there aren’t any reviews of those cabins.  

Can anyone comment about drawer space? We have learned over the years how to pack pretty lightly. Our budget doesn’t allow us to go to F category that seems to be very popular.  I’m hoping the guarantee will pan out and we could get a higher grade cabin, but if not so be it. We are just thrilled to be trying regent at any level. I was fine with the navigator and wanted to try it because we are looking at South Pacific for 2021 and its on the navigator.  And their starting cabins are bigger.

What a great decision.  IMO, the smallest suite on Explorer is better than the largest suite on Navigator!!!  

I did tour the "G" and "H" suites when the ship first launched and, if my memory is correct (which is "iffy") one of them has a built-in closet and the other one doesn't.  In any case, even though it is small, the suites on Explorer are well laid out and have more drawer space than some of the other ships.

And, as you have likely read, on Regent, once you board the ship, everyone is treated the same.  No one knows (or cares) what level suite you are in.  You'll have the same great service and food as everyone else.

Hope your cruise is wonderful (and that your "guarantee" works out well).

I enjoy both the Navigator and Explorer. Sailed on both several times. 

The Navigator is a cozy ship, as it is smaller and intimate. 

The Explorer is glitzier and larger, with larger choice of specialty restaurants. 

The Explorer G and H suites are much smaller than Navigator similar category. If I remember correctly, several CC members panned this category as being tiny and said it suits single travelers. 

Decide for yourself. 

Both are wonderful. You will enjoy either. It’s your choice. 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

I think it depends on your needs and expectations. For us, Explorer’s G and H cabins are too small and we feel it’s worth the extra few hundred to move up to an F2.  But we also love Navigator, too, so what do we know?   🤪

On the the other hand, my mother and her husband sailed in a G on Explorer and loved it.  It was her first cruise, though, so her expectations differed from ours.  I’d say look at the dimensions and layout and decide based on your needs.  I’d rather sail in an Explorer G than stay home, that’s for sure!

We never base our decision on the ship...it is the itinerary.  Therefore, our next 3 cruises are booked on Splendor, then Navigator, and then Explorer 😜.  We have been on all Regent ships except Splendor and feel comfortable doing this. 

In my opinion (after 33 cruises on Regent), Regent ships are not created equal.  Below are some pluses and minuses (starting with our favorite ship and ending with our least favorite ...... it would take an amazing itinerary to get us on our least favorite ship).

1.  Explorer - Obviously it is newer and more glamorous than the other ships but that in and of itself is not a reason to sail on her.  She has an additional specialty restaurant - Pacific Rim that is really lovely and has delicious food (and you can order different types of sake's).  The suites are laid out very well (double sinks in the bathrooms with a good size shower and bathtub).  Lots of storage space.  The public spaces are beautiful - plenty of place to sit and relax - read a book or just people watch.  Negatives:  the theater has some areas (not all) with bad sight lines - mainly in the balcony and the aft elevator does not go down to the deck where CR is located.

2.  Voyager - she was our favorite ship for years ..... until Explorer.  Entry level suites are large (and, like Explorer, and Mariner, the ship is all suites - all balcony).  Bathtub and shower and separate and fine. Two specialty restaurants (P7 and Chartreuse).  Negative - aft suites have a vibration (sometimes wore than other times).  We have stayed in an aft suite and it wasn't that bad but why bother with aft suites when most of the ship does not have a vibration?  

3.  Mariner - the most stable ship of the fleet.  Small entry  level suites (compared to Voyager or Navigator).  My husband could not stand the size or layout of these suites.  However, the PH suites are the best in the fleet - large and well laid out.  This ship was built 2 years before Voyager and they put the space in the public areas rather than in the suites.  There is also wasted space.  One lounge (Stars) is rarely used (except late at night and when children are onboard during the summer).  Negative:  The bathtub suites (about 50% of the suites).  The bathtubs are difficult/dangerous to get into and out of.  If you are tall (or raise your hands to wash your hair), you are touching the ceiling).  Not comfortable at all.  If you get a "shower only" suite, it is fine.   

4,  Navigator - the hull was meant to be for a Soviet Union era icebreaker/spy ship and was never meant to have a passenger ship built on it (they sold the hull when the Soviet Union fell).  We sailed it when it was still "Radisson", and it was horrible (lost power, listed at sea, etc.). What Regent has done with this ship is really amazing.  She is the least stable at sea and has the worst aft vibration (not constant but, unlike Voyager, we would not stay in an aft suite on Navigator).  There are times when wine glasses "dance across the table" in La Veranda (aft dining venue).  

Navigator is the oldest and smallest ship.  Many love her because of the coziness of the ship (note:  have you ever been told by a realtor that a home is cozy?  That generally means small).  IMHO, the public areas are too small.  There is no forward Observation Lounge.  Most importantly, there is only one specialty restaurant (P7).  Despite all of this, she remains popular (while some of us place bets on when Regent will sell her).

I understand that what we see as a negative (small suites for instance) is not a negative for everyone.  People state that they do not spend time in their suite.  We, on the other hand, love to have cocktails on the balcony, occasional meals in the suite and people in for drinks.  This would be "cozy" in a Mariner suite!

I think our opinions on each ship are just that “our” opinions and others may have different opinions just as valid.  For instance, I’d rather be on Navigator any day over Mariner.  Others feel differently.  No right or wrong.  So, I think we should be more open to all the ships until you find what is right for you because there is no universal right or wrong. 

1 minute ago, rcandkc said:

I think our opinions on each ship are just that “our” opinions and others may have different opinions just as valid.  For instance, I’d rather be on Navigator any day over Mariner.  Others feel differently.  No right or wrong.  So, I think we should be more open to all the ships until you find what is right for you because there is no universal right or wrong. 

Agree with you.  What we post are all opinions.  I should have mentioned that itinerary is no longer an issue for us as we are fortunate enough to have visited just about everyplace that we wanted to visit in the last 30 years - by land and by sea.  I do understand that itinerary is important to many people.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the differing opinions. All the nice people who regularly post are always so helpful. I never knew that a luxury TA could provide a rebate and learned through these boards. I am Just excited to be on the  explorer even in a category H. I did look at the price difference for a F and it was $2000.00 more.  Boarding our dogs is going to run about that so it’s a no go. I can handle the small cabin and bathroom since we really are only in there to get dressed and sleep. 

And im sure I’d love the navigator too just because of the regent experience. If I can get over my fear of flying we will be booking the South Pacific on her.