Boarding times

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I can see them calling for open boarding at 3:00.  That makes sense.  However, I can't see them calling open boarding at 11:30 with hundreds of people sitting in the waiting area.  It makes sense that they would continue calling the boarding zones.  Maybe that was a cruise that had few people show up early.  I have never been on a cruise like that.

They will never call it at 1130 with hundreds of people waiting. You are getting close to understanding. You are right, they would continue using zones until those hundreds of people are only dozens. This is when open boarding starts.

Edited by Lottacruises

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've never been on a cruise where they have just said open boarding and everyone in the waiting area was able to walk on the ship.  I am curious what port does this and at what time they announce open boarding and stop calling the boarding groups.

On our cruise out of San Juan on the Carnival Fascination in June, my family of 7 showed up at noon and walked right in to the terminal, checked our bags, and went through the check-in and security. My husband and I had an extended balcony suite with our 17 year old with check-in time of 12:30 and my two older sons/spouses had ocean view rooms with a check-in time of 1:30.  Nobody asked us about our boarding times.  So it does happen, but maybe just with the smaller ships?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

On our cruise out of San Juan on the Carnival Fascination in June, my family of 7 showed up at noon and walked right in to the terminal, checked our bags, and went through the check-in and security. My husband and I had an extended balcony suite with our 17 year old with check-in time of 12:30 and my two older sons/spouses had ocean view rooms with a check-in time of 1:30.  Nobody asked us about our boarding times.  So it does happen, but maybe just with the smaller ships?

Do suite passengers get priority boarding on ships like the Fascination or did you go through the regular line for non-priority passengers and it was just very short?

Edited by TNcruising02

2 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

It happens on the Dream and Vista also. It's not a secret and is a common practice. 

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Do suite passengers get priority boarding on ships like the Fascination or did you go through the regular line for non-priority passengers and it was just very short?

I didn't notice multiple lines outside where they took the bags. Just one line, and it was short.  There was priority boarding for the suite once we got inside the terminal, so that's where we split off from my older sons/spouses, but they got through check-in and security quickly also, despite their 1:30 check-in time. All the lines were short though. Smaller ships do have some perks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

They will never call it at 1130 with hundreds of people waiting. You are getting close to understanding. You are right, they would continue using zones until those hundreds of people are only dozens. This is when open boarding starts.

I'm more than close to understanding how it works.  I actually have experience.  I got a boarding zone when I did my online check in, along with an appointment time.  After calling priority passengers, they began calling zones, beginning with A01.  Therefore, showing up much earlier than your appointment time and getting an early boarding zone at the terminal will not be possible for all of the ports that have changed to assigning a boarding zone during online check-in or at some point before the cruise.

When ports assigned the boarding zone at the terminal, then people were able to get there early and get an early boarding zone even when they used the early/late line.  That wasn't possible on the Magic because the boarding zone was pre-assigned.  Therefore, arriving early with a pre-assigned boarding zone of something like B12 will not help you get on the ship as early as the old way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

I didn't notice multiple lines outside where they took the bags. Just one line, and it was short.  There was priority boarding for the suite once we got inside the terminal, so that's where we split off from my older sons/spouses, but they got through check-in and security quickly also, despite their 1:30 check-in time. All the lines were short though. Smaller ships do have some perks.

Nice!!

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'm more than close to understanding how it works.  I actually have experience.  I got a boarding zone when I did my online check in, along with an appointment time.  After calling priority passengers, they began calling zones, beginning with A01.  Therefore, showing up much earlier than your appointment time and getting an early boarding zone at the terminal will not be possible for all of the ports that have changed to assigning a boarding zone during online check-in or at some point before the cruise.

When ports assigned the boarding zone at the terminal, then people were able to get there early and get an early boarding zone even when they used the early/late line.  That wasn't possible on the Magic because the boarding zone was pre-assigned.  Therefore, arriving early with a pre-assigned boarding zone of something like B12 will not help you get on the ship as early as the old way.

Ok, but in Galveston they already have the new zones and it works exactly as I described, open boarding and all. You do you though.

1 hour ago, bnbeyer said:

Nobody asked us about our boarding times. 

Many keep referring to Boarding times, and I think this is where people get confused. This are NO boarding times, although you may get boarding zone numbers. There are check in times, but obviously some ports don’t use the check in time method yet.

Edited by crzndeb

23 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How are you one of the first on the ship without any priority?  In 29 cruises on Carnival, no matter what the check-in process was at the time, they have always boarded people with some kind of priority first (weddings, D&P, suites, and FTTF). I have never seen them deviate from this process and have never seen or heard of a gold member being one of the first ones on the ship. Even as a platinum I am never one of the first on the ship because, at least in ports in Florida, they always board Diamonds first, so they are always the first ones on the ship. 

I should clarify, we have boarded right after diamond, platinum, suite guests, and FTTF guests.  Which makes us some of the first to board.

23 hours ago, evandbob said:

What port can you do this?  I'm Diamond and in the last 2 years, they don't even start boarding until after 11 or 11:30 in MIA and FLL.   

Recently (past year) it has been Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral.  I agree that boarding usually doesn't begin until 11:00 or 11:30, however being some of the first guests there, we are allowed to board just after Diamond, Platinum, Suite Guests, and FTTF.  Usually only 10-15 minutes later depending on the ship/port.

22 hours ago, coevan said:

I think he just made it up, never heard of this.

I assure you that I'm not making this up.  We arrive at the port between 10:30am and 11:00am.  We go through the checkin/security screening process and are directed to sit in an area with zones.  We are generally some of the first "zone passengers" to arrive at the port.  Once the ship is cleared, they board Diamond, Platinum, Suite Guests, and FTTF.  After that, they call zones.  We are generally on the ship and eating lunch no later than noon regardless of which "checkin time" we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFasbender said:

I assure you that I'm not making this up.  We arrive at the port between 10:30am and 11:00am.  We go through the checkin/security screening process and are directed to sit in an area with zones.  We are generally some of the first "zone passengers" to arrive at the port.  Once the ship is cleared, they board Diamond, Platinum, Suite Guests, and FTTF.  After that, they call zones.  We are generally on the ship and eating lunch no later than noon regardless of which "checkin time" we have.

This happens alot. I believe you. People only know their own experiences, and if yours varies from that, some too often are quick to say yours  didn't happen.

Edited by Lottacruises

Recently (past year) it has been Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral.  I agree that boarding usually doesn't begin until 11:00 or 11:30, however being some of the first guests there, we are allowed to board just after Diamond, Platinum, Suite Guests, and FTTF.  Usually only 10-15 minutes later depending on the ship/port.

You were probably zone 1 or 2

I should clarify, we have boarded right after diamond, platinum, suite guests, and FTTF guests.  Which makes us some of the first to board.

That makes a lot more sense. I assume you used the early/late line. As long as a lot of people don’t show up early, that process can work well. Of course it can be bad if a lot of people show up early, like I witnessed on Liberty earlier this year. If you are familiar with terminal 5 at Port Canaveral, the line extended on the second level from the terminal all the way to the parking garage. We ended up talking to a couple at the Alchemy Bar on embarkation day who said they waited in line over 2 hours. At least they had a good attitude about it and didn’t complain about the long wait, like I heard from other people during the cruise. 

I always try to get there a little earlier than my boarding time.  I am willing to wait in the heat and I have had experiences when they let you on if its not to crowded.  Also you have to drop off your luggage which takes a few minutes.

3 hours ago, JFasbender said:

however this is not what your original post said, you said you were first on the ship and ignored boarding times

50 minutes ago, coevan said:

however this is not what your original post said, you said you were first on the ship and ignored boarding times

I said "We have always completely disregarded the check-in time and arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 and have had no problems usually being some of the first on the ship."  Considering most cruise ships carry several thousand passengers and generally a small percentage of those are Diamond, Platinum, Suites, or FTTF passengers then it does indeed make us some of the first to board the ship.  It really doesn't matter, I just posted about my experience and will continue to do what I have done.  Good day to you.

I have questions regarding the new boarding procedures...

1. Do you pick your zone number along with your embarkation check-in time, or is your zone selected for you when do your on-line check-in ?

2. Your zone will be printed on your boarding pass ?

3.  For embarkation check-in time of 11:30, I have 30 minutes to check in and is check-in with the Porters or is there a front gate/door for the check-in ?

4.  After I check in, then I walk to and wait in my zone until called ?

7 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

1. Do you pick your zone number along with your embarkation check-in time, or is your zone selected for you when do your on-line check-in ?

3.  For embarkation check-in time of 11:30, I have 30 minutes to check in and is check-in with the Porters or is there a front gate/door for the check-in ?

1. It's assigned to you

2. Yes

3. You give your luggage to the porters then you'll see a couple lines - - one for people in the current arrival window and one for early/late people. You'll show them your boarding pass which has your arrival time printed on it. 

4. I wouldn't know because any time I've done it I've just walked straight through to the ship

16 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

And the answer to number 4 is yes, unless open boarding has been called. In that case they will direct you straight to the ship. Which port are you sailing from? 

Have a good cruise.

A comment about the online check in, appointment times, and boarding zone with the new way:

If you check in online as early as possible on the day you are allowed to check in (as close to after midnight on the day before) you should be able to get the earliest appointment time and boarding zone.  I checked in a little after midnight for my September cruise on the Breeze and was able to choose an appointment time of 11:30 to 12:00 and was assigned boarding zone A01.

Edited by TNcruising02