The upgrade fairy visited! Advice needed re:balcony cabin.

alli7784

7 hours ago, alli7784 said:

We've sailed in inside cabins lots of times. That's some of the best sleep I've ever had! One of the things I love is the ability to totally lose track of time. But I am looking forward to experiencing the balcony, even if it's a one-time thing for me!

We also enjoy inside cabins that is until my husband became ill and the odor from the regurgitation was almost unbearable.  I always carry a small can of lysol with me and that really came in handy but of course getting fresh air in the room would have been most ideal.

Congratulations on the free upgrade! we got a little one for our upcoming 16-day transatlantic cruise--just a higher category of inside (Cat. IB) from our guarantee Cat. IF. We also received an upsell offer--$1,099 per person to get a balcony. No thanks. I'm glad some people are willing and able to pay for balconies, mini suites, and suites.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

How much money you will pay for the up sell?

What made you jump to the conclusion of an upsell?  The OP was pretty clear this was an upgrade that they were all gifted.

Congrats to the OP on the upgrade!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This from MJSailors: 

Keep in mind that balcony doors should not be left open per the notice posted near the door. Also closing the balcony door quietly is appreciated by those in the cabins in your area.

Other than that tip, insides aren't that much different than balconies. A touch more room and a great big "window".

You don't need to do or bring anything that you don't usually bring.

Ummm, really?! A “big window”?! Doors that open, fresh air, the open ocean?!   Should I go on for the benefits of the balcony versus the inside?

Are you the open and closing door police onboard?  Why the big wet blanket treatment?

OP, enjoy your free balcony!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MJSailors said:

alli7784

My DH and I took that repositioning cruise three years ago. We enjoyed it very much!   Now that I think about it,we were given an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite for that cruise. I do like the Regal  class mini suites because they have a curtain that can be drawn to separate the bed from the sitting area. Good when one of us wants to nap while the other is reading or watching a movie on low volume.

I think that it is great you have a balcony to watch the NYC sailaway. Hoping you did get starboard cabins because you will have a view of lower Manhattan skyline, the Brooklyn bridge to the North and once underway,you will see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty  before sailing  under the Verrazano Bridge out of the harbor to the open sea. I may be a bit predudiced,but as a native of NYC, I think the sailaway is one of the best in the world!

I do understand about not opening up your balconies. I thought that it might not be the best suggestion considering a privacy issue! 😉

I do hope you and your family enjoys the cruise!

Enjoy the balcony cabin. Perhaps you will return to CC to report your experiences on the cruise.

Bon Voyage !🛳

This cruise sails out of Brooklyn. I've been trying to find out what to expect as far as what we might be able to see - is that where yours sailed from, or was it Manhattan. 

About ten years ago, we talked about sailing into NYC but changed our minds. Apparently my sweet daddy was disappointed and has wanted to start or end in NYC ever since. He's not a beach person but patiently goes along wherever my mom and I drag him. As long as he's got his camera, he's happy. I'm attaching a pic he took of Lady Liberty on our last NYC trip, I think shot from the ferry - thought you might appreciate it as a New Yorker!

FB_IMG_1565065683031.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silversneakers said:

We also enjoy inside cabins that is until my husband became ill and the odor from the regurgitation was almost unbearable.  I always carry a small can of lysol with me and that really came in handy but of course getting fresh air in the room would have been most ideal.

That's where having my parents along would come in handy. I'd leave him all to himself and go bunk with them! 🤣

12 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This from MJSailors: 

Keep in mind that balcony doors should not be left open per the notice posted near the door. Also closing the balcony door quietly is appreciated by those in the cabins in your area.

Other than that tip, insides aren't that much different than balconies. A touch more room and a great big "window".

You don't need to do or bring anything that you don't usually bring.

What’s the purpose of keeping the door closed? I’ve always liked the fresh air and the white noise an open balcony door provides. 

30 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you!  I will be on the Royal and for the first time ever we booked an interior guarantee cabin. Still no assignment but I only booked a few days ago. 

When they were building the Royal, they had a photo contest to decorate the ship. My dad was a finalist. Last year, we were finally able to sail on her and ended up in a cabin just down the hall, purely by accident! 

It's really neat to see all of the passenger photos. There are some amazing shots! Here's a picture of his picture - sorry about the glare!

Screenshot_20190805-234648_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

What’s the purpose of keeping the door closed? I’ve always liked the fresh air and the white noise an open balcony door provides. 

If the balcony door is left open the air conditioning can result in the humidity condensing and dripping from the ceiling.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alli7784 said:

When they were building the Royal, they had a photo contest to decorate the ship. My dad was a finalist. Last year, we were finally able to sail on her and ended up in a cabin just down the hall, purely by accident! 

It's really neat to see all of the passenger photos. There are some amazing shots! Here's a picture of his picture - sorry about the glare!

Screenshot_20190805-234648_Gallery.jpg

Beautiful!   I will be on the lookout for this one.

• Like 1

alli7784

Thank you for that great photo! Your father is a very talented photographer.

Princess had a very good idea about using passenger’s photos to hang in the hallways. My DH and I always enjoy looking at them as we walk by. 

You are leaving from Brooklyn,but the pier is located where you can see the City Skyline and various points of interest as you  sail out of the harbor. I might suggest getting a map of the area so you can anticipate what you will see and what photo ops your father may have from the balcony.

Are you arriving the day of the cruise,or do you plan to spend some time in the City?  The end of October is a good time to visit as the temperatures have cooled a bit and the Summer crowds have gone.

12 hours ago, Luvmyrotti said:

Ummm, really?! A “big window”?! Doors that open, fresh air, the open ocean?!   Should I go on for the benefits of the balcony versus the inside?

Are you the open and closing door police onboard?  Why the big wet blanket treatment?

Wow...just wow.

Ahhhhh...that is soooo fantastic! Really happy for you and the rest of your party 🙂. There’s is nothing that beats the giddiness of a true upgrade. Until 2014,  our previous 8 cruises had been in insides (rather than splurging for infrequent cruises in a balcony, we put the money toward yearly cruises in two insides for our family of four). As we can only cruise over the Christmas holidays, we were already paying top premium for peak season for just the insides alone. In 2014, our price dropped quite a bit after final payment, but when we had our TA enquire about taking  advantage of the price reduction, as we suspected, Princess said no. However, they told our TA that, as loyal Princess cruises who had booked two yrs out, they would upgrade both insides to deluxe balconies (this was on the new at the time Regal!). Can’t tell you how shocked we were as this was a Christmas cruise on a 6 month old ship. Princess definitely knew what they were doing, as we’ve become addicted to balconies with only one inside since then. Their one time freebie for us has resulted in greater revenue for them with two balconies every cruise. Sadly, no upgrades since then; just a couple of decent upsells. As others have already said, it will be really hard for you to go back from a balcony 😀.

As for what you might need for the balcony cabin, can’t really think of anything different than for an inside. Perhaps a couple of clothespins or binder clips if you have issue with some light peeking through where the curtains meet...

Have a wonderful time and congratulations - I wish everyone gets to experience an upgrade at least once! 

Edited by h-sar
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, silversneakers said:

What? What would posses you to share that with us?

• Haha 1