Cruise Critic Community
4774Papa

Best river cruise in Bordeaux region of France?

I've looked at river cruises for this area, found good ones for AMA and Grand Circle.   Anyone that has done a great cruise there, let me know.

I sailed with Uniworld about two years ago. Good cruise and fun time. The ship has recently been upgraded to a super ship and may be pricier than when I sailed.

We sailed on Scenic River Cruises in the Bordeaux region this past June and had a fabulous time.  Service was top notch.  Great mix of passengers.  

I sailed Bordeaux on GCT River Chanson in 2015. GCT picked up the boat second hand from River Cloud and the boat was easily the most elegant of any of the half dozen GCT boats I have sailed on. Our PD was the best I have ever had and the others were very good! A great trip, BUT the River Chanson is scheduled on the Rhône in 2020, and I see nothing listed for GCT in Bordeaux in 2020. Did I just miss seeing something?

AMA's week river cruise runs  $3,899

Scenic starts at                         $4,199   (that is for one cruise only then increasing by $300-$500)

Uniworld                                     $3,099

Viking                                          $2,499

Vantage World Travel doesn't have one

Just a note that Scenic’s cost many times includes air.  I’m not sure about all of the others.

We cruised the Bordeaux region in 2016 with Viking and it was a wonderful trip.

Would love to go back and do it all over again, actually.

Not a ton of actual cruising, but it was a great itinerary.

Jeff

On 8/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, TravelerThom said:

I sailed Bordeaux on GCT River Chanson in 2015. GCT picked up the boat second hand from River Cloud and the boat was easily the most elegant of any of the half dozen GCT boats I have sailed on. Our PD was the best I have ever had and the others were very good! A great trip, BUT the River Chanson is scheduled on the Rhône in 2020, and I see nothing listed for GCT in Bordeaux in 2020. Did I just miss seeing something?

Unfortunately you didn’t miss anything. They didn’t even run all the scheduled cruises this year. I don’t know definitely, but I don’t think they sold well. There were a fair amount of last minute specials for that itinerary. 

IIRC it was an itinerary with more nights in hotels than on the ship. It was on my list, but . . .

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Unfortunately you didn’t miss anything. They didn’t even run all the scheduled cruises this year. I don’t know definitely, but I don’t think they sold well. There were a fair amount of last minute specials for that itinerary. 

IIRC it was an itinerary with more nights in hotels than on the ship. It was on my list, but . . .

That Grand Circle cruise with tour was very well priced considering what was included.  Well, perhaps GC will come back with a Bordeaux river cruise.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, CPT Trips said:

I was booked for that cruise on GCT for last October...they cancelled all cruises after June and offered us a deal to go earlier.  We went in May.  Having done 6 or 7 river cruises ( with Uniworld and GCT) I have to say this one was a disappointment.  Just plain blah, in my view.  We were told the ship was being moved to Provence, where the demand is much higher.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, 4774Papa said:

Anyone that has done a great cruise there, let me know.

@4774Papa what  for you would make a 'great cruise'?

I think all the lines that cruise Bordeaux go to the same places, so your deciding factors will be - I presume - quality of cabin, food, drinks, included and optional tours and wineries visited.

The boats don't travel far; they start and end in the city of Bordeaux. Of the nine river cruises I have done with Viking this was the exception in that it was first and foremost about the wine. Different wines were served each day from the appellation we were in, we visited wine estates and tasted wines there and on board ship. This was the only  Viking tour to have an on-board sommelier (although to be frank, he was willing but not very knowledgeable.)

I'm a wine lover and big fan of Bordeaux so when the coach drove through famous villages and past famous chateaux I was very happy.

If you're not a wine lover and the wines and the names mean nothing to you I'd suggest another tour.

If you are a wine lover who wants to visit the home of the worlds greatest wines - or even to learn about and taste them - then this tour is good. But check how much tasting and which properties you'll visit as they don't all visit the same properties, and if you have a favourite property check which - if any - line visits it.

Also be aware that  really famous names listed as places you'll 'see' means 'see' from the road as most don't take visitors.

As mentioned, I travelled with Viking and a highlight was dinner in Ch Kirwan one evening with unlimited pours of their top label.