Unlimited Dining, 4 venues, 10 days

Hi, We are on a 10 day Ovation cruise next month. Currently we have a three night dining package at $69pp, They are offering the unlimited package at $199pp so $130 more for seven more nights and at sea lunches (6 at sea days). It sounds tempting but I think there is only four venues that apply, Jamies, Chops, Izumi and Wonderland (does Wonderland qualify?). I am thinking we may burn out on the same places especially knowing we would only go to Wonderland once (we are not as impressed with Wonderland as ,others seem to be, sorry). So 3 nights each at Jamie's, Chops and Izumi with one a Wonderland for 20 bucks a night. Am I over thinking this? Would you do it?

I would do the dining package.  Even at 3 times each you can order something different from the menu.  Might be a good time to try that item you always wondered about but never tried.  But then, I live in NV where every corner has a buffet and they get to be all the same also.

I would buy two three night packages. You are right about the repetitive meals.  We were on the 14 night Symphony TA and had the BOGO, 3 night and 5 night package.  Three trips to Chops was too much. Adding 9 sea day lunches would be way over the top. Yes Wonderland is included. You should also get a $35.00 credit towards Izumi as well, Hibachi Grill is not included.   happy cruising

My "take" is a little bit different.

First of all, $69 is a very good price for the 3 night package.  Personally, I would take that package and run.

However, ask yourself:  If you were at home, could you/would you eat at an Italian restaurant 3 times in a week and a half?  How about a Japanese restaurant?  How about a steak house?  Or do you and Marie get tired of eating out and just long for a simple meal at home?

I never thought I would eat (in a specialty)  more than once per cruise.  Then on a recent cruise, I was invited into a "gang" that ate there every other night.  I joined in.  It was great.

So there you go.  🙂 

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

My "take" is a little bit different.

First of all, $69 is a very good price for the 3 night package.  Personally, I would take that package and run.

However, ask yourself:  If you were at home, could you/would you eat at an Italian restaurant 3 times in a week and a half?  How about a Japanese restaurant?  How about a steak house?  Or do you and Marie get tired of eating out and just long for a simple meal at home?

I never thought I would eat (in a specialty)  more than once per cruise.  Then on a recent cruise, I was invited into a "gang" that ate there every other night.  I joined in.  It was great.

So there you go.  🙂 

We went ahead and bought the package. The frequency of the type of  restaurant is ok with us, I think what tips the scale is we enjoy the pace and intimacy of the specialty restaurants. Also we paid so little for this cruise (balcony cabin $1650 total for both) that we figure we could pay a little more to dine the way we like. 😀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

We went ahead and bought the package. The frequency of the type of  restaurant is ok with us, I think what tips the scale is we enjoy the pace and intimacy of the specialty restaurants. Also we paid so little for this cruise (balcony cabin $1650 total for both) that we figure we could pay a little more to dine the way we like. 😀

Good reasoning.:classic_smile:

It goes along with some of the discussion that used to take place on Cruise Critic.  People would lament the "decline in the quality of the MDR" and say that they "would gladly pay a couple of hundred dollars higher fare to return to the days of really good food in the MDR."  And that is pretty much what you get with the Unlimited Dining Package.

:classic_smile:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Hi, We are on a 10 day Ovation cruise next month. Currently we have a three night dining package at $69pp, They are offering the unlimited package at $199pp so $130 more for seven more nights and at sea lunches (6 at sea days). It sounds tempting but I think there is only four venues that apply, Jamies, Chops, Izumi and Wonderland (does Wonderland qualify?). I am thinking we may burn out on the same places especially knowing we would only go to Wonderland once (we are not as impressed with Wonderland as ,others seem to be, sorry). So 3 nights each at Jamie's, Chops and Izumi with one a Wonderland for 20 bucks a night. Am I over thinking this? Would you do it?

Oh, one more suggestion.  Go to Wonderland the first or second night.  You never know....you may love it and want to return.