Are they Charging for Afternoon Tea??

West Coast Gal

LOL. I had to Google it as well. I’ve never seen it on any of my Princess sailings. Will have to check out the display table of goodies they have at the front during my next tea time; perhaps it’s the only table that has one on it.

Maybe I’ll demand one for my table on my next cruise 😁

On 8/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

On the Royal/Regal/Majestic there is a $10 deluxe version (sign up in the atrium).

They still have the free one in the DR. (check the Patter).

The standard tea was one of our favorite things on Princess, how was/is the deluxe, worth the extra few bucks?

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

The standard tea was one of our favorite things on Princess, how was/is the deluxe, worth the extra few bucks?

Having only ever walked by it, I can’t comment on the taste. However, the tiered tray presentation is definitely far nicer than in the MDR, where food is served to you on a plain white dessert plate. One of the things holding me back from trying the pay option is that I’m not a huge fan of the venue - right in the middle of the busy piazza. For a tea service like this, I’d prefer a small, intimate, quiet venue. Maybe even a section of Sabatini’s as I don’t think it’s used for anything at that time? On the other hand, Princess probably wants it out in the open where others will be influenced to try it.

The other thing is that I really enjoy the warm scones and usually get at least two at different times during my tea service. Wondering if the ones that come on the tiered tray cool down pretty fast. Or maybe they bring you fresh, warm ones throughout like in the MDR? Yup, lack of frequent warm scones would be a deal breaker 😁

4 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Having only ever walked by it, I can’t comment on the taste. However, the tiered tray presentation is definitely far nicer than in the MDR, where food is served to you on a plain white dessert plate. One of the things holding me back from trying the pay option is that I’m not a huge fan of the venue - right in the middle of the busy piazza. For a tea service like this, I’d prefer a small, intimate, quiet venue. Maybe even a section of Sabatini’s as I don’t think it’s used for anything at that time? On the other hand, Princess probably wants it out in the open where others will be influenced to try it.

The other thing is that I really enjoy the warm scones and usually get at least two at different times during my tea service. Wondering if the ones that come on the tiered tray cool down pretty fast. Or maybe they bring you fresh, warm ones throughout like in the MDR? Yup, lack of frequent warm scones would be a deal breaker 😁

Yes totally agree.  Warm scones are a must have.  No warm scones, no me😔

Having a nice cup of tea is wonderful, the social event as well helps the passgers and cruise live too. A great Mutual Benefit.

It now does provide another source of revenue.

Make sure youy laud it on your comment cards.

9 hours ago, h-sar said:

LOL. I had to Google it as well. I’ve never seen it on any of my Princess sailings. Will have to check out the display table of goodies they have at the front during my next tea time; perhaps it’s the only table that has one on it.

Me Too!  Especially if they are charging now!

9 hours ago, h-sar said:

Yes the scones, cream and jam add up to too much extra calories for my tummy, but oh so good, YUM

9 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Having a nice cup of tea is wonderful, the social event as well helps the passgers and cruise live too. A great Mutual Benefit.

It now does provide another source of revenue.

Make sure youy laud it on your comment cards.

Definitely always mention it as a major positive in my post cruise surveys. I want to make sure they continue providing the free service in the MDR.

Totally agree about the social aspect of it and that, too, is another reason why I prefer the free one over the paid one.  As we often travel with extended family, we always get our own table for dinner. Teatime is an opportunity to sit with other guests for half an hr (if one chooses) and hear about their cruise experiences without having to commit to sitting with strangers for a two or three hour dinner, LOL. Always love meeting new people from different parts of the world and this would not be possible during the paid tea in the piazza. OK, I think from the last few posts, I have just convinced myself I will NEVER do the paid experience. LOL.

• Thanks 1

i love the afternoon tea. Last Aug we had it almost every other day on the Emerald going to Alaska..Our server was having a great time with our table 3 couples..He was teasing us he would stand in the corner but one of the ladies would put the cup up to drink he was there in a flash to refill..He was playing little games with us and it was a blast.. We were 3 couples who shared a table and alot of fun at the tea..Its one of my favorite things to do..I have paid for the delux one put prefere the regular ..pinky fingers up....

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, h-sar said:

I have been to Victoria multiple times, but never did get into the Empress for tea. For those who have had the privilege and have also done the MDR tea on Princess, how would you compare the two? Food/tea/overall experience. Are they completely worlds apart (as I suspect they might be) or not too far off?  At the very least, I assume that the quality and variety of teas at the hotel would be vastly superior. Me, I’m absolutely happy with what I get on Princess 😀.

We went to afternoon tea at the Empress on our honeymoon, 26 years ago. It was very nice, but in my opinion, nowhere near worth the $82 they now charge (I assume CAD). I like the way Princess serves the afternoon tea in the dining room, so I can choose what I want to eat.

12 hours ago, h-sar said:

Definitely always mention it as a major positive in my post cruise surveys. I want to make sure they continue providing the free service in the MDR.

Totally agree about the social aspect of it and that, too, is another reason why I prefer the free one over the paid one.  As we often travel with extended family, we always get our own table for dinner. Teatime is an opportunity to sit with other guests for half an hr (if one chooses) and hear about their cruise experiences without having to commit to sitting with strangers for a two or three hour dinner, LOL. Always love meeting new people from different parts of the world and this would not be possible during the paid tea in the piazza. OK, I think from the last few posts, I have just convinced myself I will NEVER do the paid experience. LOL.

I will Try the piazza, but I will remember your post and write it up in my comment card!  I too agree, tea time was an easy way to meet some new guests.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, h-sar said:

LOL. I had to Google it as well. I’ve never seen it on any of my Princess sailings. Will have to check out the display table of goodies they have at the front during my next tea time; perhaps it’s the only table that has one on it

I'd be willing to bet they not only don't have one on the front table but not at all on the ship.

1 minute ago, MandD said:

I'd be willing to bet they not only don't have one on the front table but not at all on the ship.

I think we should all take a copy of that paragraph from their online brochure, which mentions the samovar,  and demand one at our table 😁😁. And ask for OBC because they can’t provide it as advertised. 😆😆😁

JK 

• Haha 1

we have done both the deluxe and regular (free one) If you are a tea lover the deluxe one you could pick your loose tea from the tea boxes with different blends flavours. You were allowed to pick 3 blends to try. That for me was the only real difference..

18 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Enough with the nickel and diming us at every opportunity. Next thing you know Pizza will be included but $2 extra if you want pepperoni. 

How is it nickel and diming? You can have a great tea hour for free, or pay an upcharge to enjoy the "upgraded" with, I believe, more choices and possibly champagne...your choice

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jwattle said:

How is it nickel and diming? You can have a great tea hour for free, or pay an upcharge to enjoy the "upgraded" with, I believe, more choices and possibly champagne...your choice

And IIRC the "Royal" tea offering for an additional fee has been in effect on the Royal class ships (or at least the Royal and Regal, I'm not sure about the most recent ones) since they were introduced or very soon thereafter!  This is not a new program.  Some people see an additional fee for anything and start complaining about cutbacks.

• Like 1