Refundable Cruise Deposits in Oz?

I notice our American cousins on CC are complaining about non-refundable deposits. A refundable deposit would seem contradict the purpose of a deposit, but what do I know.

Personally I have never seen or booked a cruise here with a refundable deposit. Without going into the gory details of TAs etc, have I been remiss in my internet cruise searches, do they even exist outside of the USA?

Booking direct with Princess deposits are refundable, according to their cancellation schedule.  Booking Princess through an agent, deposits are refundable according to cancellation schedule but normally a cancellation fee is applicable, generally $100 per pax.

I do a few cruises with P&O UK and their deposits are not refundable at all.

23 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Personally I have never seen or booked a cruise here with a refundable deposit. Without going into the gory details of TAs etc, have I been remiss in my internet cruise searches, do they even exist outside of the USA?

On our booking with Royal Caribbean (via their AU website), we had a choice:

1) Fully refundable deposit until final payment date (but the cruise cost $200 extra).

2) A non refundable deposit with a cheaper cruise cost.

So it exists... i think it just depends on the cruise line.

9 minutes ago, RadioBoy said:

On our booking with Royal Caribbean (via their AU website), we had a choice:

1) Fully refundable deposit until final payment date (but the cruise cost $200 extra).

2) A non refundable deposit with a cheaper cruise cost.

So it exists... i think it just depends on the cruise line.

So in essence that $200 is a cancellation fee really.

30 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Booking direct with Princess deposits are refundable, according to their cancellation schedule.  Booking Princess through an agent, deposits are refundable according to cancellation schedule but normally a cancellation fee is applicable, generally $100 per pax.

I do a few cruises with P&O UK and their deposits are not refundable at all.

Some TAs charge a cancellation fee and some don't. A few years ago we were considering booking two reasonably B2B cruises with a TA in the West. They weren't the Best. On reading the small print on their company website, I saw that if we cancelled, they could charge us the total cost of the cruise as a cancellation fee. In addition, their service was really bad (they wouldn't ever phone back) so we booked with a TA in Brisbane who used to be at Portside. Their service is excellent.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some TAs charge a cancellation fee and some don't. A few years ago we were considering booking two reasonably B2B cruises with a TA in the West. They weren't the Best. On reading the small print on their company website, I saw that if we cancelled, they could charge us the total cost of the cruise as a cancellation fee. In addition, their service was really bad (they wouldn't ever phone back) so we booked with a TA in Brisbane who used to be at Portside. Their service is excellent.

That mob in Perth were certainly not the Best, back then, we booked a few with them.  Closed up.

Edited by NSWP

Princess has refundable deposits including when using a Future Cruise Deposit however the cancallation penalty period now starts earlier than the it used to. 

Celebrity deposits used to be refundable even with perks. Now they offer two options: a cheaper fare with one of the perk and a non-refundable deposit, or a much dearer fare with more perks and a refundable deposit.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I just looked at the Terms and Conditions of what I think are three of the biggest online TAs, and they all say deposits are non-refundable.

I guess I'll just have to look harder or book direct.

After I encountered the hefty cancellation policy from the TA in the West, I quizzed the next couple of TA's I got a quote from. They each mentioned the cruise line's cancellation penalty, but I had to specify that I was asking about an additional penalty imposed by the TA. They each said they only charged the cruise line's cancellation penalty.

I have to confess that I haven't asked the TAs we have our current bookings with. On all except one of these, we would lose the deposit because of the cruise line's policy.  I must remember to ask this question in future if the booking is far enough in the future. I think it is six months with both Princess and P&O Aust.

I do the booking for our group of 6 direct with the cruise lines. On a Princess cruise booked before last Xmas, with a final payment due on the 25th of this month, I had to, just 2 weeks ago, substitute a passenger due to unfortunately a fatal illness of a close friend in our group.  The deposit was a Future Cruise Deposit and it was refunded to her account. The substitute passenger was allowed to pay the $100.00 as full deposit even though she did not have a FCD. Very obliging people I must say.

Edited by Russell21

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I do the booking for our group of 6 direct with the cruise lines. On a Princess cruise booked before last Xmas, with a final payment due on the 25th of this month, I had to, just 2 weeks ago, substitute a passenger due to unfortunately a fatal illness of a close friend in our group.  The deposit was a Future Cruise Deposit and it was refunded to her account. The substitute passenger was allowed to pay the $100.00 as full deposit even though she did not have a FCD. Very obliging people I must say.

That is excellent service indeed.