First time, embarkation day and dinner questions - Navigator

Hey all, I’m a super planner and am crazy excited for our first cruise, Feb 3 2020 from MIA on the Navigator.  We’re a group of three adults, 4 children ages 5,6,7, and 8.  

1) Will we be able to find out what activities are available on embarkation day ahead of time?  I have a list for what I should do (check table assignment location, do a spa tour, check into kids club, check with pursers desk to see the nightly menu ahead of time) as I’ve been lurking for a while, but is the kids club available for drop off that day, or is it just enrolling/checking in?  

2) Do they have the ice show the first night?  Can I make a reservation for seating precruise, do I need need to make one once onboard, or is it first come first served (we’re just basic interior staterooms)?  I have noticed from checking out previous Compasses that the show is typically at 7:30.  Our MDR dinner seating is at 6 every night (to take advantage of the kids pickup if we so desire), I’m feeling like we won’t have enough time to eat and then get to the theater.

3) Also, as far as MDR seating, do we need to cancel ahead of time if we choose to eat elsewhere (not at an upgraded restaurant)?  Will the husbands need slacks, khakis, or jeans for dinner in the MDR?  If some of our group wants to skip MDR dinner but others want to participate will that be a problem?  What constitutes a “bad” table location (for 9) versus “preferred”?

Thanks for the help, I’m sure to have 100 more questions between now and February!

You do not have to reserve shows on the Navigator. Ice show is definitely not on the first night. 

It takes about an hour-and-a-half to eat.  If you have a show to get to just tell your waiter. They will hurry service along.  Depending on what you order - dinner can be several appetizers, soup, salad, entree, etc. - can be out in less than an hour if you don’t order all the courses. 

If if you have traditional dining, and it sounds like you do and have first seating, you will have a table for your family, or could be seated with others.  If you know you are not going to be at dinner the following night, it’s a courtesy to let your waiters and/or table mates know so that they don’t wait for you.  Just a courtesy - not required and if you don’t it’s not a problem.  

Long pants are requested to be worn in the MDR on an evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LalaCoop said:

Hey all, I’m a super planner and am crazy excited for our first cruise, Feb 3 2020 from MIA on the Navigator.  We’re a group of three adults, 4 children ages 5,6,7, and 8.  

1) Will we be able to find out what activities are available on embarkation day ahead of time?  I have a list for what I should do (check table assignment location, do a spa tour, check into kids club, check with pursers desk to see the nightly menu ahead of time) as I’ve been lurking for a while, but is the kids club available for drop off that day, or is it just enrolling/checking in? As you get closer to your cruise, start reading reviews from others that have been on the same itinerary. Many people post copies of the Compass in their reviews.

2) Do they have the ice show the first night?  Can I make a reservation for seating precruise, do I need need to make one once onboard, or is it first come first served (we’re just basic interior staterooms)?  I have noticed from checking out previous Compasses that the show is typically at 7:30.  Our MDR dinner seating is at 6 every night (to take advantage of the kids pickup if we so desire), I’m feeling like we won’t have enough time to eat and then get to the theater. There will be two shows every night. One will start at 7:30. That will be for the people that have late seating. the other show will be at 9:00. That show is for the people that have early seating.

3) Also, as far as MDR seating, do we need to cancel ahead of time if we choose to eat elsewhere (not at an upgraded restaurant)?  Will the husbands need slacks, khakis, or jeans for dinner in the MDR?  If some of our group wants to skip MDR dinner but others want to participate will that be a problem?  What constitutes a “bad” table location (for 9) versus “preferred”? If you know ahead of time that you won't be at dinner, it would be polite to let your wait staff know the night before. The dress code "suggestion" is slacks or nice pants. Jeans are not supposed to be worn and short pants are not supposed to be worn. However, the dress code is a SUGGESTION, not an enforced rule. You will see people wearing all sorts of attire.

Thanks for the help, I’m sure to have 100 more questions between now and February!

This is a great place to learn about what to expect on your cruise. Ask away and most people here are happy to help.

Can't post the link but, Google 'Navigator of the Seas Cruise Compass'.

From past experience on other ships you can't reserve the ice show, but they may hand out 'tickets' to spread crowds out over the multiple shows.

I will be on Navigator in December and can provide more info then.

3 hours ago, LalaCoop said:

1) Will we be able to find out what activities are available on embarkation day ahead of time?  I have a list for what I should do (check table assignment location, do a spa tour, check into kids club, check with pursers desk to see the nightly menu ahead of time) as I’ve been lurking for a while, but is the kids club available for drop off that day, or is it just enrolling/checking in?   Not until after dinner.  You should get a list of what’s what when you check in.  The menu is available in front of the MDR. Or on the interactive screens.

2) Do they have the ice show the first night?  Nope. Can I make a reservation for seating precruise, do I need need to make one once onboard, or is it first come first served (we’re just basic interior staterooms)?  I have noticed from checking out previous Compasses that the show is typically at 7:30.  No ressies on NAV.  For the ice show, it will depend on how they are scheduled.  Might be by muster station, or deck your cabin is on.  There is typically 2 shows in the latter half of the week.  If the one you are scheduled for doesn’t work, you can try stand by at the other one Our MDR dinner seating is at 6 every night (to take advantage of the kids pickup if we so desire), I’m feeling like we won’t have enough time to eat and then get to the theater. You can always ask them to speed up service, or just skip a course

3) Also, as far as MDR seating, do we need to cancel ahead of time if we choose to eat elsewhere (not at an upgraded restaurant)?  Will the husbands need slacks, khakis, or jeans for dinner in the MDR?  If some of our group wants to skip MDR dinner but others want to participate will that be a problem?  What constitutes a “bad” table location (for 9) versus “preferred”? It is polite to let them know so they don’t wait for you. Formal night slacks or khakis.  The rest of the time anything goes.  If not everyone is there, just let the staff know

NAV is small enough that there is no need to rush anything. As for table location, you are limited to what they have available based on everyone else’s table requests.  Sometimes you luck out.  

4 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Currently on 4-day Navigator and tomorrow is a Sea Day. The Iskate Show is tomorrow at 1 PM and repeated at 3 PM. On the past 3-day weekend cruise the ice show was on the first night and they had 2 shows. 

I’m really hoping for an afternoon show on our at sea day so we can enjoy it with the littles, thanks!

4 hours ago, Jarmo said:

Can't post the link but, Google 'Navigator of the Seas Cruise Compass'.

From past experience on other ships you can't reserve the ice show, but they may hand out 'tickets' to spread crowds out over the multiple shows.

I will be on Navigator in December and can provide more info then.

I look forward to reading about your trip!

47 minutes ago, LalaCoop said:

I’m really hoping for an afternoon show on our at sea day so we can enjoy it with the littles, thanks!

Yes, hope you have fun. You can not make reservations for the shows, so I suggest getting there at least 20 minutes before the show starts if you want to get a good seat. For the ice show, some people did get in line 40 minutes before the show (doors opened 30 minutes before the show).  They were able to get front row seats in the center section. Also, if your kids want to ice skate, there are no reservations, it is first come, first served. Ice skating was at 10 PM, what e got in line at 10:02 PM and were only able to get one ticket for 11:20 PM skating. So lesson learned, arrive early for ice skating. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LalaCoop said:

1) Will we be able to find out what activities are available on embarkation day ahead of time?  I have a list for what I should do (check table assignment location, do a spa tour, check into kids club, check with pursers desk to see the nightly menu ahead of time) as I’ve been lurking for a while, but is the kids club available for drop off that day, or is it just enrolling/checking in?  

There are interactive boards outside the dining room and you can find out the menu on those.

2) Do they have the ice show the first night?  Can I make a reservation for seating precruise, do I need need to make one once onboard, or is it first come first served (we’re just basic interior staterooms)?  I have noticed from checking out previous Compasses that the show is typically at 7:30.  Our MDR dinner seating is at 6 every night (to take advantage of the kids pickup if we so desire), I’m feeling like we won’t have enough time to eat and then get to the theater.

No Ice Show reservations. On Navigator last year the Ice Show you were allocated depended on what Muster Station you were on.  If that doesn't work for you, you can wait outside until everyone has gone in.  There are usually plenty of spare seats.

3) Also, as far as MDR seating, do we need to cancel ahead of time if we choose to eat elsewhere (not at an upgraded restaurant)?  Will the husbands need slacks, khakis, or jeans for dinner in the MDR?  If some of our group wants to skip MDR dinner but others want to participate will that be a problem?  What constitutes a “bad” table location (for 9) versus “preferred”?

No need to cancel - but we usually let them know if we aren't eating.  If you are sharing a table with another party then I think it would be polite, otherwise your table mates may be waiting for you. And yes - they don't force you to eat in MDR - if some of your group want to eat somewhere else they can. 

All those clothes on your list are fine for MDR - except formal night when shirt and long trousers are the minimum, although I am talking about European cruises.  I think Caribbean cruises are less formal.

15 hours ago, sandebeach said:

. Also, if your kids want to ice skate, there are no reservations, it is first come, first served. Ice skating was at 10 PM, what e got in line at 10:02 PM and were only able to get one ticket for 11:20 PM skating. So lesson learned, arrive early for ice skating. 

That’s good to know, as we’d be doing the earlier skating (hopefully they’ll be asleep by the late time) which I figure will fill up really fast.  At least they give you a ticket for a return time so you’re not just waiting around

20 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Currently on 4-day Navigator and tomorrow is a Sea Day. The Iskate Show is tomorrow at 1 PM and repeated at 3 PM. On the past 3-day weekend cruise the ice show was on the first night and they had 2 shows. 

I’ve been watching the cruise compass and they have been having it on embarkation day, which I feel like might be our ideal day to catch it.  I’m sure they change the rotation based on time of year of the sail.

Navigator is now on a 3 day/4 day schedule, much different from our last sailing on a 7 day.  Check Compass for the cruise length you actually have - the schedule for the other might be different.  Not sure how they can get around to presenting all the shows in these short cruises!  

OP, you won't even see the entire ship in a 3 or 4 day cruise and can't possibly do everything.  Pick what you are most interested in and do those things.  And don't forget that if you want a different type of potato or no sauce at dinner the waiters will get it for you.  Hope you have the warm chocolate cookie!