How to spend your children's inheritance-on them

Pam

I have blown the budget!  I had promised my son-in-law an Alaskan cruise.  Since Mark and I were on Mariner's first ever cruise to Alaska, I decided we would participate in her last season there.  He has problems getting time off, I have grandchildren in various colleges and grad schools, and I refuse to fly home from Anchorage (been there, done that, don't want another t-shirt).  So, June 24, 2020 it is.  Daughter and son-in-law in Seven Seas Suite Aft (I refuse to pay the single supplement on that), and that can be our hangout. Granddaughters in one Horizon View, and grandson in another Horizon View.  The third one on that deck is already booked, so I will be in a Penthouse mid-ship.  That could come in handy if SIL gets motion sick; we aren't sure about that because he did get seasick on a snorkel boat once.  If he does, we can do a switcharoo, I hope.

Now I have to get flights and research hotels in Vancouver; we disembark on July 1st and with the July 4th holiday, he got an extra couple of days off so we can fly home on July 4th.  

The youngest of us will be 18 by then, so no need for kids' activities.  Everybody is so excited (except maybe my daughter, she doesn't have much interest in Alaska because she is a history buff and loves Europe).  Some of us can't wait to eat crab legs and salmon!

Edited by Pam
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gcto said:

of course, ask Regent for a discount as you are creating new customers

Yep, perfect time for the Ambassador Program!!  Sounds like a great time, enjoy.

PS - we took my in-laws and two teenage daughters to Alaska about 8 years ago and they all had a blast.  I'm sure it'll be a memorable cruise.

Wow, I feel like a piker. we have done 5 Alaskan vacations 3 with grandkids. Did the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise on the Mariner this April/May  (no kids) and recently returned from an Alaskan land tour (only as far south as Seward) with son & grandson. Great trips.

Love the Mariner for Alaska; it's very well suited for that itinerary.  A terrific respite after magical days ashore. 

Agree about Anchorage airport. It can handle incoming crowds but is overwhelmed when there are cruise debarkations.

You'll arrive in Vancouver on Canada Day celebration. Try to get a group (or at least your) photo in Canada Place with a RCMP (star-like ).

Your "History buff" daughter can find lots of interesting stuff. During my May cruise, I focused on Russian Orthodox churches and the history of Alaska as a Russian colony.

Add halibut to your crab legs and salmon list. I rarely eat red meat and my favorite fish is fresh Alaskan halibut. if you have free time in Seward, the locals bring their catch in about 6 PM and do the prep right there at the small boat harbor.

Best wishes for a great family vacation.

Edited by DeepFreeze63
double type

For crab, make sure to take the George Inlet Lodge Crab Feast excursion in Ketchikan.  Great boat trip in the inlet, pull up crab traps, head back to the lodge for all you can eat fresh crab!  Done it twice and look forward to doing it again.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound

57 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

For crab, make sure to take the George Inlet Lodge Crab Feast excursion in Ketchikan.  Great boat trip in the inlet, pull up crab traps, head back to the lodge for all you can eat fresh crab!  Done it twice and look forward to doing it again.

I second that.  It is the best crab that we have had (except for Alaskan King Crab in Norway).

• Like 1

I had forgotten about Canada Day!  We'll fly home on our 4th holiday, because prices on the 3rd were out of sight for some reason (maybe the holiday weekend).

My daughter went to Russia on a mission trip many years ago, so she will be very interested in the Russian influence.  I also want to do the train; it may be touristy, but I found it fascinating to think of how the miners had to transport their goods.

I'll remember the crab fest excursion; I assume there is something other than crab for the seafood hater in the group (my daughter, again)?

My husband took our boys to Alaska to fish, years ago.  They shipped home a LOT of halibut and salmon!  We wore out a FoodSaver vacuum thingy mid-process, and had to make a fast Walmart trip to get another one.

Edited by Pam

2 hours ago, Pam said:

I'll remember the crab fest excursion; I assume there is something other than crab for the seafood hater in the group (my daughter, again)?

No other options that I can recall.  After all, it is a "crab fest".  It likely will not work for you!

Spend it with your eyes open!

This is a sign that is in my office for all my clients to see and is something that I discuss in detail.

I often hear from my clients that they are so concerned about the inheritance that they will leave to their children/grandchildren and I suggest that they consider using some of the funds to enjoy WITH their proposed beneficiaries. If I had a dollar for every time I was told that their grandchildren do not want to travel with their grandparents I could take another Regent cruise. My response has always been "have you asked them"?

Not to get morbid, but over the years I have been to a few funerals of clients and heard eulogies where grandchildren made comments that they will always remember the great trip(s) they took with their grandparents.

• Like 1

gnomie1, my husband and I took the kids and grandkids on several trips when his health was still up to it.  We did a short RCCL cruise (which was mostly a disaster), did a trip to Nassau and stayed at Atlantis.  Two trips to Disney, staying onsite in the timeshare condos.  Not too long after his death, oldest granddaughter was off to college, I had to take over his company, and while I sent them to Disney again, I wasn't able to go.   My husband's company wasn't in good shape when I took over (stepson had messed it up when he was in charge) so I spent a lot of time bringing it back to where it needed to be.

Granddaughter graduated college, I had some health issues so we didn't do anything much.  Now she is off to grad school, grandson is in college locally, and youngest will graduate high school next year.  We have to search carefully to avoid school conflicts, plus my son-in-law is a manager at a huge local company and time off that time of year is scarce.  I wanted to do the San Francisco to Vancouver trip but that wasn't a time he could get off.  He had to fight for these days.

I also took my daughter and oldest granddaughter to London  for granddaughter's 16th birthday; that had been her dream  forever.  

Long post tl;dr, we have  made a lot of memories with our trips.  Now I am in the place to do more, schedules permitting.  I know I can't take it with me, so we will enjoy as much of it as we can while I am still able and healthy.

Edited by Pam
  • Like 1

It's been so long since I did this, I'm going to be asking questions that have probably been answered over and over again.  We get a "free" night at the Anchorage Hilton; I assume I will be making the reservation somewhere?  And are jeans allowed in Sette Mari?  I'll try to keep my ignorance subdued as much as possible.

6 minutes ago, Pam said:

It's been so long since I did this, I'm going to be asking questions that have probably been answered over and over again.  We get a "free" night at the Anchorage Hilton; I assume I will be making the reservation somewhere?  And are jeans allowed in Sette Mari?  I'll try to keep my ignorance subdued as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Brownie54 said:

No jeans after 6 pm in any public area except the Pool Grill. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you’re correct - after 6 PM the Country Club Casual kicks in for public spaces (except the Pool Grill).  No jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc.  Pretty basic, it’s all spelled out on the Regent website.

Thank you.  I used to be better at this, but it's been over ten  years since I cruised and I'm rusty.

In fact, the last time I cruised there was still Signatures, and I don't think Sette Mari had a name (or if it did, it was something else; I seem to remember a different name).

Edited by Pam

You probably already know but.....  Anchorage Hilton is right near Alaska RR station, Ulu (spell) knife store (fun to visit) and one of the world's greatest URBAN fishing creeks (great to even just sight-see). If your visit is on a weekend; terrific outdoor market across the street.

Honestly, I don't know anything about Anchorage; I got the idea, got the suites locked in, and got the air taken care of.  My husband and I rode around Anchorage a little bit, had lunch, and then apparently spent the next many hours at the airport waiting to get on the plane.  Thanks for the information, unfortunately we will be there mid-week.

3 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Welcome back to cruising, Pam!

Thank you!  I kind of misstated;  I did an Azamara cruise three years ago, solo.  I got an amazing price on a beautiful suite and spent most of the time in that suite.  Two weeks in Europe, and I lost weight; they had places where I could go get little sandwiches and pastries, so that is what I did most of the time.  It was more an "escape from reality" trip than a fun cruise.  This should be great, with all my loved ones going.

Now I need hotel recommendations for Vancouver.  I think we want to be downtown; I thought about a house and renting a van, but that is unfamiliar territory (we always had incredible friends who lived there and chauffeured us around, but they moved to Vancouver Island a few years ago) so downtown it is.  I have asked her for suggestions, too.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Pam said:

Now I need hotel recommendations for Vancouver.  I think we want to be downtown; I thought about a house and renting a van, but that is unfamiliar territory (we always had incredible friends who lived there and chauffeured us around, but they moved to Vancouver Island a few years ago) so downtown it is.  I have asked her for suggestions, too.

Thanks!

Since budget sounds like the least of your considerations, consider the Shangri-La (one of only two actual 5* hotels in the city, but it's had the rating since it opened whereas the Fairmont Pacific Rim just gained it). Or else slumming it in a 4/4.5* and going for proximity (Pan Pacific/Fairmont Waterfront right on top of/across the street from the pier respectively), historic-ness (Fairmont Vancouver or Westin Bayshore), or further slumming down to 3/3.5* but having the practicality of apartments for your big family (Rosedale on Robson is probably the nicest 'aparthotel' with various 1/2 bedroom suites, it's basically a condo building that operates as a hotel). Location-wise there's not really much of a difference in any downtown hotels - nearer the park simply means further from Chinatown/Yaletown/Gastown end and vice versa!

Or do what I do and treat the hotel as simply a bed for the night, get the cheapest safe & clean downtown room available (YWCA Hotel almost certainly), and then shift that part of the budget over to dining and eat like monarchy - I'd love to recommend how to best blow your kids' inheritance on obscenely over-the-top dining options but the starting point should definitely be an Alaskan King Crab Feast for the family (you really need 6+ people to do justice to a whole crab!)