Island Princess and Grand Princess

Scorpio41

Grand Princess current home port is San Francisco. She will be missed once she move to a different home port.

One of her swimming areas is indoors under a sun roof which is very nice on cooler days.

The Grand Princess is outfitted with an electrical rig that allows it to draw power from shore side if the port has matching equipment. This allows it to turn off its engines in a port that has the equipment to supply power to it.

The Grand Princess went through a major dry dock spring of this year

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

I recently spent 7 nights on board Coral Princess (Island's sister ship) in Alaska.  I loved Coral.  My preferred ships are mid-size and this fits the bill perfectly in that sense.  She is slightly bigger than P&O's Arcadia but a very different style inside.  Passenger flow is very good and despite being pretty much full, never felt crowded.  Entertainment space is excellent, with a main theatre, a two-deck show-lounge and further single-deck show-lounge.  There was also nightly entertainment in Crooners Bar and the Wheelhouse bar.  There is a nice atrium in the centre of the ship, two MDRs, two main for-fee restaurants and a spacious, light & airy buffet up top. She has both outdoor and enclosed swimming pools with jacuzzis. I really liked her and if it hadn't have been for the ludicrous solo price for a 10-night cruise to Germany & Scandinavia on Island P in October '21, I would have happily booked her for that!

Happy to answer any other specific questions you have.

• Like 1

We have sailed the Grand many times over the years.......

We stopped sailing the Grand several years ago when they removed one of our favorite venues "Skywalker's". On the last cruise on her there were so many water leaks throughout the ship it was crazy. Being the first Grand Class ships (1998) and now the oldest I am surprised she is still in the fleet.

Not a fan.

• Like 2

I sailed on back-to-back cruises on the Island Princess this summer and had a great time. I had sailed on it several years ago as well--before the refurbishment that took away some public spaces to add cabins. I missed the aft lounge at times, but I still had a great time.

• Like 2

We were on the Island for a partial Panama Canal transit in April 2017 and on the Grand for a 10 day Mexican Riviera in March 2019, the first cruise after drydock.  The Grand was okay.  An older ship, and we observed and encountered issues, but had a good time.  We loved the Island.  It's a smaller ship but we didn't notice crowding or issues with getting a theater seat or slot machine, etc.  

• Like 2

I would pick the Grand .Know an older ship but has more things to offer.

Took to many things away on the Island.

The Island isn't like the Coral anymore. Kept the Coral the same and didn't change it like

the Island. They were going to at one time but changed their mind.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sfkaren said:

Grand Princess is one of three ships in the fleet that have Window Suites that are great value if you want all the benefits of a suite without a balcony and at a price comparable or cheaper than a Club Class Mini-Suite.

This sounds interesting. Do you know what cabin grade they are or where to look on the ship plans?

1 hour ago, Scorpio41 said:

This sounds interesting. Do you know what cabin grade they are or where to look on the ship plans?

They are on Fiesta Deck 6, starboard side and category S7. They are known to sell out quickly as there are only 7, with one be smaller than the other 6.

I'll add my voice to those who love the Grand.  Yes, I love the Window Suites, but also love the fact that she's the smallest of the "Grand" class ships.  One deck less of cabins than later ships in the series.  We were on her one cruise before and one cruise after the recent dry dock and saw how much effort and money was put in to keeping her nice. 

She is however plagued with water leaks which are not a big deal unless they affect you in which case they ARE A VERY BIG DEAL of course.  I can't deny that she has more of these problems than other ships in the fleet.  

Still, I too will be sad to see her depart San Francisco and have booked a final trip next February to say goodbye.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, jondfk said:

I'll add my voice to those who love the Grand.  Yes, I love the Window Suites, but also love the fact that she's the smallest of the "Grand" class ships.  One deck less of cabins than later ships in the series.  We were on her one cruise before and one cruise after the recent dry dock and saw how much effort and money was put in to keeping her nice. 

She is however plagued with water leaks which are not a big deal unless they affect you in which case they ARE A VERY BIG DEAL of course.  I can't deny that she has more of these problems than other ships in the fleet.  

Still, I too will be sad to see her depart San Francisco and have booked a final trip next February to say goodbye.  

There were a lot of leaks in public areas when we were on the Grand in March.  Luckily we didn't personally experience a leak in our room.  We had no hot water for the first 24 hours and no one bothered to tell us until we tried to shower at 10 p.m. on embarkation day, but that's a long story for another time!