Walking in Melbourne at night

Is it safe to walk around at night? Our hotel will be in the Southbank area and we will be attending the Australian Open tennis precruise. Is it safe to walk back to the hotel after late matches — 11 pm, midnight etc? 

2 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

Is it safe to walk around at night? Our hotel will be in the Southbank area and we will be attending the Australian Open tennis precruise. Is it safe to walk back to the hotel after late matches — 11 pm, midnight etc? 

I’ve never felt unsafe there.

If by myself, I might be hesitant. I have walked back to the city after plenty of events either at Melbourne Park or Melbourne Cricket Ground but have always been with others. There will be plenty of people walking that way, some to their cars parked along the roads and others heading to trams and to Southbank. 

Leigh

Melbourne is generally a very safe city.

However, it is a big city, with some of the normal challenges. So, normal caution is advised.

I would have no issues walking down to the tennis. Walking back can be another issue — depending upon the rout chosen. Also noting that some of night sessions can extend to 2am or later (I went to one that finished around 3.15).

As has been suggested, tagged along with a group coming back, or catch a tram. Certainly, don’t walk through the Kings Domain Park when it is late.

49 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Certainly, don’t walk through the Kings Domain Park when it is late.

I agree. I wouldn't walk through there either but perhaps along Linlithgow Ave, if there are other people walking to their cars. Personally, if very late, and walking, I would go along the Yarra through Birrarung Marr to Flinders Street/St Kild Rd. There is likely to be more people walking that way heading to public transport. 

Leigh

I walk around in Melbourne at night when visiting.  I walk everywhere at night on my own or with my husband.  I've rarely felt unsafe on my nocturnal jaunts.  My advice is to not create a victim persona ie, walk with intention,  with your head up and be aware of your surroundings.  I absolutley refuse to allow the possible malfeasant behaviour of offers to impact on my freedoms. 

I have never found Melbourne to be unsafe. I have been out plenty of times of a night. Only thing I can add is if you see people that look suspicious or the type to avoid then simply do not go near them and ignore them. It would be no different to any other city around the world. Fairly safe but like every city there are drunks, druggies and the unfortunates that you often find around various streets at night.