'Explorer' Documentary on UK TV

minotaur

5 hours ago, Stefken said:

The documentary was about the “Worlds most expensive ship” to have just been shown around the ship with no idea of costs of furnishings etc would have been boring. As it would have been ridiculous to not have input from cruisers on board said ship. 

IMO it gave  an insight into modern cruising and what to expect now. Some cruise companies still have a them and us elitist mentality  and restaurants designated by your cabin. I personally wouldn’t pick to go on these. RSSC is all inclusive, and wether in the most expensive suite or cheapest everyone is treated in the same respectful manner, having experienced this when on Mariner, yes it was not Explorer, but the ethos should be the same throughout the various ships, I hope. 

Also many of us save up to splash out on a special anniversary, birthday etc. Isn’t it nice to know you can do it in style, if we wish too, even if it’s only the once, whilst enjoying meeting people from all over the world in one place.

lifes too short, let’s just go with the flow, or the wake of the ship. Whichever floats your cruise ship.

Agree with you 100%!  The only thing different about Explorer than other Regent ships is the physical aspects of the ship.  The food, service and friendliness of the crew is also the same.  As you mentioned, once you are outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same and in a respectful manner.  

I finally finished all four parts of this program.   I really enjoyed the behind the scenes look at the ship and John Barron’s engaging personality.  As others have said, the constant reference to the cost of things was off-putting and made Regent sound stuffy and elitist which it is not.

I think I was most surprised by the wine stewards and “sommelier”.   They seemed inexperienced and their “training” seemed not much more than a class a novice wine drinker would take to gain some knowledge.   With all the folks studying to be sommeliers and passing the various levels in the exam, one would think Regent would seek out that caliber of expertise.  Certainly I’m no wine snob and readily admit that the more I read and taste, the less I know, but these folks are being paid to know!  

My wife and I (in the US) just watched all four episodes the other night (binge watch, I guess!) and it really interested us in Regent. We were already considering it and we found the entertainment and dining to be quite appealing. Yes, the constant reference to cost and the staged drama (“will they pull off the grand buffet?”) was eye roll inducing, but that goes with the territory of reality TV. 

We we have inquired with our travel agent yesterday about a cruise next year on the Splendor.  We might have done that anyway, but this helped for us.