'Explorer' Documentary on UK TV

minotaur

For those of us in the UK, there is a 2 part documentary on Channel 5 starting on 23rd August at 9pm:

'The World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship'

'New series taking a look on board the Seven Seas Explorer, revealing the secrets of the floating six-star hotel.'

Don't know if has already shown in USA?

• Thanks 1

There's one that was on U.S. television a couple of years ago as part of the NOVA series that was about the construction of Explorer. I think it had that title, or something similar. Since it really was about the building of the ship, there was hardly anything about life on board. But it was very interesting.

This documentary was apparently filmed earlier this year.

Two 1-hour episodes billed as follows:

Behind-the-scenes glimpse of life on board the world's most luxurious cruise ship, the Seven Seas Explorer, revealing the secrets of this floating six-star hotel. The walls are adorned with art costing around £5million, from the ceiling hang chandeliers worth further millions, and the suites can cost up to £8,000 per night

I wonder who we will recognise from crew & guests?

I watched part of it and believe that I've seen it before.  It still gives me chills when I watch the bottle of champagne break during the christening ceremony.  It was so amazing to be in Monaco watching the ceremony and then listening to Bocelli (which I'm sure many of you watched on television when it was airing live).

The Discovery Channel's program will be quite different than what is being shown now.  It is then that you will see passengers, etc.

6 hours ago, JMARINER said:

It is available on YouTube.   Link

J

I think that is a link to the previous documentary covering the construction of the ship.

I understand the new documentary, to be aired this coming Friday in the UK, covers life on board Explorer and was filmed much more recently, while in service.

Yes, just to make this perfectly clear, this is not the documentary about the building of the 'Explorer' which was shown some considerable time ago now, but a NEW two part documentary about life on board 'Explorer'.

Sorry that my original post obviously did not make this clear enough for some.

46 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Now I'm wondering if it is what the Discovery Channel shot in February while we were onboard. It should be interesting.

That'd be cool.  Were you and Dennis hamming it up for the cameras??

Playing drinking games and getting tattoos?  Oh, wait, wrong ship, sorry...   😋

Edited by UUNetBill

58 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Now I'm wondering if it is what the Discovery Channel shot in February while we were onboard. It should be interesting.

I remember you said that Jackie - and that you hosted a dinner in your suite for the cameras (at their request...) - on Dennis' "birthday cruise".    I have set my TV to record it and am really looking forward to seeing it!!!  Will tell you if I see you and Dennis...which I likely will!!!

5 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

That'd be cool.  Were you and Dennis hamming it up for the cameras??

Playing drinking games and getting tattoos?  Oh, wait, wrong ship, sorry...   😋

Actually, we ended up inviting the crew to our suite for a party to celebrate Dennis' birthday.  It was fun and a good break for the guys that work so hard to put the show together.  Our butler went above and beyond to make this very special (there was even a management person from Regent Corporate there).  I really hope that what they are showing is not what we were in as we would prefer to have this shown in the U.S.  

On 8/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, minotaur said:

For those of us in the UK, there is a 2 part documentary on Channel 5 starting on 23rd August at 9pm:

'The World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship'

'New series taking a look on board the Seven Seas Explorer, revealing the secrets of the floating six-star hotel.'

Don't know if has already shown in USA?

Thanks a lot for this information. I have set our Sky box to record it, and I am looking very much forward to watching it. 

It seems to be a series of four episodes (1 hour each).

A little more information about the new series is now available on-line:

Seven Seas Explorer is the star of a new four-part TV documentary kicking off this Friday (23 August 2019) at 9pm.

The show, to be broadcast on Channel 5, takes an intimate look at multiple aspects of the ship and the overall cruise experience.

Documentary makers were given “unprecedented” access over two cruises around the Iberian Peninsula, the Bay of Biscay and Baltic Sea, Regent Seven Seas Cruises revealed.

The first episode follows the ship’s cruise director, John Barron, as he gets ready for his opening performance with a new group of passengers, while head butler, Raju, prepares the Regent Suite for the next guests. In addition, senior executive chef Michael, and food and beverage director, Stephane, explore local Spanish markets to find fresh fish to serve in the largest speciality restaurant at sea, Compass Rose.

The remaining three episodes will air at 9pm on 30 August, and 6 and 13 September.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

CC have now picked this up in their News Feed:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/4358/

Whilst setting out to record this new series I noticed an interesting scheduling juxtaposition on British TV this coming Friday.

At 9pm on Channel 5 we have this new documentary about Seven Seas Explorer 😁

This is preceded at 8pm on Channel 4 with "Cruises from Hell: Caught on Camera"  😱

This series is obviously not the one that the Discovery Channel filmed in February (yes - we did sign a release).  The people working on the ship (the ship was doing Chile to Los Angeles - the filming was done for about half of the cruise) thought that the series will be shown in the Fall of 2019.  So, if the show that is being shown in the U.K. is not shown in the U.S., I have no problem with that.  Just hoping that the cruise in South America will be shown soon.  The camera crew got some wonderful shots of many things on Explorer.

13 hours ago, flossie009 said:

CC have now picked this up in their News Feed:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/4358/

Whilst setting out to record this new series I noticed an interesting scheduling juxtaposition on British TV this coming Friday.

At 9pm on Channel 5 we have this new documentary about Seven Seas Explorer 😁

This is preceded at 8pm on Channel 4 with "Cruises from Hell: Caught on Camera"  😱

Thanks for the info - will also record the Cruises from Hell - sounds like a lot of fun to watch PROVIDED you are not on one!!

I have also politely asked my SKY box to record this. Mine thinks it's just a one off programme tonight too so I must make sure to  manually set it to record the next instalment. 

I enjoyed the series about the construction of Explorer, dare I say it even though it was on Channel 5 it wasn't the usual level of tosh that I see on that channel. Hopefully this new programme will be similar ie better quality than their usual output.

Looking forward to watching tonight!

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

I have also politely asked my SKY box to record this. Mine thinks it's just a one off programme tonight too so I must make sure to  manually set it to record the next instalment. 

I enjoyed the series about the construction of Explorer, dare I say it even though it was on Channel 5 it wasn't the usual level of tosh that I see on that channel. Hopefully this new programme will be similar ie better quality than their usual output.

Looking forward to watching tonight!

My sky box also thinks it’s a one off show? Likewise will keep an eye on the schedule for next week.    Jean.

A very fair view of the Explorer, focused on John Brannon as CD, and the work of F&B director and Exec Chef to procure fresh destination fish in Malaga. Also a little on the Regent Suite and preparing this. Well put together , included the Regent block party as well ,not over doing the excesses , which the programme previews /fliers focused on. A good advert for Regent, which even old hands with 100 days on Regent's seven seas ships found informative and interesting. Hopefully next 3 weeks will get away from expense and costs and show the value of what is included, which does not make it any more than many other cruise lines without the hoards and the nickel/ dining at every opportunity. Yet all the advantages of the ships

Watch if you are able to.........??