'Explorer' Documentary on UK TV

minotaur

The show has been posted on the RSSC Facebook page - just finished watching and it was very good.   Not sure how long Facebook will allow this to be available, so check it out before it disappears.

• Like 1

All the emphasis on wealth, money, how much that flower vase cost . . . it was all so cringy and creepy.  And that entertainer being homesick . . . was this the best they could do for the first of four episodes?  The ship looks OK but lacks a proper forward-facing deck which is an absolute must for us.  The food looked excellent and maybe up a slight level from the Regent ship we sailed on last year.  However, we've disembarked from this series.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the subject of the series is the most expensive cruise ship, etc., one would expect to hear details of what items cost.  What would be interesting to us is to tell the story of just how overweight the ship was and how they were required to make changes during the building of the ship.  The weight of Explorer is one reason that the beautiful, huge, heavy “prayer wheel” will not be on Splendor.

I just watched Episode 1 via the link on Facebook and enjoyed it--such fun seeing John Barron as a movie star!  Also the shopping trip with F&B Manager Stephane was quite interesting with the head chef bargaining with local fishmongers for fresh fare.  Nothing too good for the passengers aboard RSSC!  Looking forward to seeing the next installment if it's posted on FB.

Saw it courtesy of cable TV this evening (Sky Box failed to record...don't know what went on!).   It was, I thought, well done and interesting.  Maybe a little too "OTT" on what things cost but I suppose that's why a lot of people will watch it.   The fish shopping trip with F&B Manager and Exec. Chef reminded me so much of one I took with then Exec Chef Quin on the Mariner in Acapulco...Quin and his Sous chef "Numero Uno" were buying fish for a couple of days on the cruise.  Our Cordon Bleu teacher Michael Katz took a whole group of us along.  It was fascinating!

I have asked the cable box to record the next 3...Sky can stick to the golf!

I watched the video posted on FB, and thought it was a decent depiction of the ship. Like others, I did not care for the emphasis on costs, and particularly the implication that "you ordinary people could never afford this." As an "ordinary person," I've figured out how to afford such vacations, and so cringe when I see the implication that it's out of the reach of all but the 1%.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, shemansl said:

I just watched Episode 1 via the link on Facebook and enjoyed it--such fun seeing John Barron as a movie star!  Also the shopping trip with F&B Manager Stephane was quite interesting with the head chef bargaining with local fishmongers for fresh fare.  Nothing too good for the passengers aboard RSSC!  Looking forward to seeing the next installment if it's posted on FB.

John was already a television star...... he did a television show in Canada (at least I believe that it was in Canada).  Not hoping that he will reach star status as he might leave Regent which is not a good thing.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:08 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Not hoping that he will reach star status as he might leave Regent which is not a good thing.

I hear you on this! We had John as CD on Seabourn, I think back in 2013. He was a super CD and Seabourn's loss has definitely been Regent's gain. I believe he gave land-based work a try for some time in between leaving SB and joining Regent, possibly promoting skincare products on tv. I know he missed his family. 

Anyway, it was good to see him on this programme.

I'll be interested to watch the next programme although I concur with some of the more negative comments about it. 

I guess we have to keep in mind that this programme was produced for Channel 5 which is arguably the worst of our terrestrial channels here in the UK.

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

I hear you on this! We had John as CD on Seabourn, I think back in 2013. He was a super CD and Seabourn's loss has definitely been Regent's gain. I believe he gave land-based work a try for some time in between leaving SB and joining Regent, possibly promoting skincare products on tv. I know he missed his family. 

Anyway, it was good to see him on this programme.

I'll be interested to watch the next programme although I concur with some of the more negative comments about it. 

I guess we have to keep in mind that this programme was produced for Channel 5 which is arguably the worst of our terrestrial channels here in the UK.

Not sure if you know that John worked for Regent before Seabourn.  It is nice to have him "home".

Below is the synopsis of episode 2 that airs here in the UK on Friday:

This behind-the-scenes look at life on board the Seven Seas Explorer features head sommelier Georgiana, as the vessel prepares for a special visit to Bordeaux. Cameras go below deck and take a peek at the unique connoisseur drinks cellar with its £3,000 bottle of cognac and observes members of the night crew as they work to get the ship looking as good as new for the morning.

Looks to be a similar format to the first episode. I guess it will be the same mixture of some nice insights and some classic Channel 5  'fishbowl entertainment' on how the other half live. Ho hum, rough with the smooth and all that...….

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure if you know that John worked for Regent before Seabourn.  It is nice to have him "home".

Yes, I did know. I think it was discussed here on the Regent board when he returned. 

Is he now the usual CD on Explorer or does he move between the Regent ships?

34 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Yes, I did know. I think it was discussed here on the Regent board when he returned. 

Is he now the usual CD on Explorer or does he move between the Regent ships?

John joined Explorer very shortly after she was launched and stayed with the ship for about 2 years.  This past year or so he has moved between ships but will be on Splendor for her inaugural season (hoping that he will stay with Splendor for a couple of years but one never knows......)

20 hours ago, John182 said:

Below is the synopsis of episode 2 that airs here in the UK on Friday:

This behind-the-scenes look at life on board the Seven Seas Explorer features head sommelier Georgiana, as the vessel prepares for a special visit to Bordeaux. Cameras go below deck and take a peek at the unique connoisseur drinks cellar with its £3,000 bottle of cognac and observes members of the night crew as they work to get the ship looking as good as new for the morning.

Looks to be a similar format to the first episode. I guess it will be the same mixture of some nice insights and some classic Channel 5  'fishbowl entertainment' on how the other half live. Ho hum, rough with the smooth and all that...….

and more of "putting a price tag on everything" like in episode 1.  I really found that unnecessary and rather annoying.

• Like 1

John was our first Seabourn CD a number of years and SB cruises ago. He was the best and most likable  we had ever experienced on any of our forty cruises across five different lines.. Handre is right up there in rankings with him. 

55 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

John was our first Seabourn CD a number of years and SB cruises ago. He was the best and most likable  we had ever experienced on any of our forty cruises across five different lines.. Handre is right up there in rankings with him. 

Wasn't Handre also on Regent at one time?  His name sounds familiar.

I'm still amazed that people were upset about Regent discussing what things on the ship cost when that was the subject of the first episode (not sure if each episode has a topic).  Although most of us that sail on Regent know the costs involved with Explorer (astronomical), this information may be interesting to people that are considering sailing on Regent.

I don't think it is that Jackie - at least not as far as I am concerned.  For me the constant "this cost" "that costs" etc is tacky.  But it does attract and impress some I suppose.   And Channel 5 is ITV so presumably their audiences are used to this sort of thing.   Anyway - episode 2 tonight.   Will have to watch it tomorrow evening because we are off to Crans for the golf tomorrow at the crack of dawn.  Early bed for us this evening.

33 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I don't think it is that Jackie - at least not as far as I am concerned.  For me the constant "this cost" "that costs" etc is tacky.  But it does attract and impress some I suppose.   And Channel 5 is ITV so presumably their audiences are used to this sort of thing.   Anyway - episode 2 tonight.

And this vase costs £8000!

I don't recall the frequent reference to cost in the Channel 5  cruise series hosted by Jane McDonald.

One wonders if there were certain parameters placed on permission to film on the Explorer.

Edited by English Voyager