nassau question

BostonGal35

cross posted to Bahamas board.

i am considering a day pass to Warwick Paradise Island resort.  Looks nice, and is all inclusive in terms of food and booze.

According to Googlemaps, its 1.8 miles from the port.  Anyone know if this is safe to walk?  I like getting my exercise in and am an avid walker - assuming the route is safe (ideally sidewalks and no sketchy people/places).  Ive been to nassau half a dozen times but have never attempted this walk.  we have done the BCH and/or stayed on ship or done a ship excursion.

26 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Nassau is the ARMPIT of the Caribbean and I would NOT disembark any ship that docked at this Port of Call!

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on Cruise Critic.  Congrats on the achievement.

BostonGal35, Nassau is a stunning island with some of the finest resorts in the world.  It's such a beautiful place that many billionaires keep residences there.  I also have several friends that live there.  It's awesome.  The Warwick is on Paradise Island, which is beautiful and very safe.  It's not a very realistic walk, though.  Take a taxi. Plenty are waiting just outside the gates at the port and they are not expensive for the short ride.  If you do love walking, then yes, you can walk.  The path is safe and well within the tourist areas.  There are sidewalks and the bridge that crosses has a separation for pedestrians.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BNBR said:

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on Cruise Critic.  Congrats on the achievement.

BostonGal35, Nassau is a stunning island with some of the finest resorts in the world.  It's such a beautiful place that many billionaires keep residences there.  I also have several friends that live there.  It's awesome.  The Warwick is on Paradise Island, which is beautiful and very safe.  It's not a very realistic walk, though.  Take a taxi. Plenty are waiting just outside the gates at the port and they are not expensive for the short ride.  If you do love walking, then yes, you can walk.  The path is safe and well within the tourist areas.  There are sidewalks and the bridge that crosses has a separation for pedestrians.

well, i half agree with the prior poster.  Often we stay on the ship in Nassau as it is a bit dumpy for our taste.  However, i do want some beach time.   Knowing that the walk is safe and there are sidewalks helps.  2 miles is nothing.  Taxis are approx. $15 one way which seems crazy for 2 miles.  

Thanks for the intel on the sidwalk availability.  I was particularly concerned with the SP bridge.

7 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

well, i half agree with the prior poster.  Often we stay on the ship in Nassau as it is a bit dumpy for our taste.  However, i do want some beach time.   Knowing that the walk is safe and there are sidewalks helps.  2 miles is nothing.  Taxis are approx. $15 one way which seems crazy for 2 miles.  

Thanks for the intel on the sidwalk availability.  I was particularly concerned with the SP bridge.

Nassau is big. It has nice and not so nice areas.  Just like any other heavily populated place. If you think it's dumpy, then you just haven't made the effort to go to the nice areas. And obviously you are making an effort this time. That's good.  But immediate port areas are rarely all that nice. 

Yes, you can walk over the bridge safely. 

A shared van is only like $4 or $5 pp. We love the beaches at Cabbage beach, so crystal clear. The last time we were there (RIU), I told my kids that some folks prefer to stay on the ship at this port, they said that’s crazy (they’ve also been to Cable beach). They are not fans of Junkanoo.

resort for a day dot com.

they have passes to Warwick (one im looking at), Riu, Breezes and Melia.  Also the British Colonial Hilton.  The BCH is decent, but it doesnt include food or booze.  They do give you a $40 credit, but it doesnt go far after they deduct the various taxes, etc.  Its convenient tho as its a 10 minute walk.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

A shared van is only like $4 or $5 pp. We love the beaches at Cabbage beach, so crystal clear. The last time we were there (RIU), I told my kids that some folks prefer to stay on the ship at this port, they said that’s crazy (they’ve also been to Cable beach). They are not fans of Junkanoo.

It's easily one of my favorite stops as there is so much to do. Both ship sponsored and private. 

4 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

resort for a day dot com.

they have passes to Warwick (one im looking at), Riu, Breezes and Melia.  Also the British Colonial Hilton.  The BCH is decent, but it doesnt include food or booze.  They do give you a $40 credit, but it doesnt go far after they deduct the various taxes, etc.  Its convenient tho as its a 10 minute walk.

We have had the day pass and walked to the BCH it was a nice day. We have also been to the Melia and we much preferred it. The beach and pools were better we and loved it. We took the local bus there and a taxi back.