Viking Sky deck 3 advice needed

grandma239

We have a “hold” on Viking Sky cabin 3041 till Wed. (2 days from now) on a 7-day Caribbean cruise.  I had told the Viking sales rep that I wanted a cabin that was mid-ship and that had cabins on the deck above us, so that our cabin would be quiet.  He assigned us a cabin on Deck 3, and when I looked at the ship’s deck plan, I see that Deck 2 has a shop, a piano bar, an atrium, a promenade, and a restaurant!  So, I fear that there will be potentially lots of noise below us.  The sales rep had told me that cabin 3041 was near a lift, but that should not pose a noise problem. Can anyone advise me about Deck 3 and the issues I’ve raised?  Thank you!

We did 2 weeks in the cabin next door to that one. Never heard a peep from anything inside the cabin. Loved the location. It was great being near the lift and stairs. I was afraid we would hear a lot of chatter from people coming and going but never heard a thing above us, below us or outside the door. 

1 hour ago, grandma239 said:

We have a “hold” on Viking Sky cabin 3041 till Wed. (2 days from now) on a 7-day Caribbean cruise.  I had told the Viking sales rep that I wanted a cabin that was mid-ship and that had cabins on the deck above us, so that our cabin would be quiet.  He assigned us a cabin on Deck 3, and when I looked at the ship’s deck plan, I see that Deck 2 has a shop, a piano bar, an atrium, a promenade, and a restaurant!  So, I fear that there will be potentially lots of noise below us.  The sales rep had told me that cabin 3041 was near a lift, but that should not pose a noise problem. Can anyone advise me about Deck 3 and the issues I’ve raised?  Thank you!

The cabins to avoid are the cabins above the Theater and above the disco as well as the cabins that are beside the lifeboats (3056-59). Cabin 3041 meets all of those criteria.

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sorry, that's not clear. Cabin 3041 is neither above the theater or the disco and is not besides the lifeboats, so it is an acceptable cabin.

Oh, OK, good!  I was just rechecking the deck plan, and it looks like cabin 3041 may be not directly above but not too far from the “Torshavn” below.  I had no idea what that was, so I googled it, and up came a picture of what looked to be a band setup and dance floor.  But that’s not a problem?

Yes, Torshavn is a BIG problem for noise.  

While the deck plan seems to show the nightclub as not under the cabins, the diagram is misleading.

At times, loud music can clearly be hear in the hall outside your cabin and inside the cabins as well.

The problem is usually only on the nights that the ship's band is playing in the club.  

The music ends at around 11:45 PM, but if you are planning on being up early to make an early excursion, 11:45 PM to listen to the music.

2 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

We did 2 weeks in the cabin next door to that one. Never heard a peep from anything inside the cabin. Loved the location. It was great being near the lift and stairs. I was afraid we would hear a lot of chatter from people coming and going but never heard a thing above us, below us or outside the door. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Thank you!  That’s reassuring.  No noise from the “Torshavn” on Deck 2?

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

While the deck plan seems to show the nightclub as not under the cabins, the diagram is misleading.

At times, loud music can clearly be hear in the hall outside your cabin and inside the cabins as well.

The problem is usually only on the nights that the ship's band is playing in the club.  

The music ends at around 11:45 PM, but if you are planning on being up early to make an early excursion, 11:45 PM to listen to the music.

1 minute ago, grandma239 said:

Thank you

Thank you!  That’s reassuring.  No noise from the “Torshavn” on Deck 2?

Oh boy.  That’s what I was afraid of.  I think I’ll call the sales rep to see what other options we may have.  Thank you!

54 minutes ago, grandma239 said:

Oh boy.  That’s what I was afraid of.  I think I’ll call the sales rep to see what other options we may have.  Thank you!

image.png.80a9c100b3b0b9b8806d1c7913018f1d.png

Cabin 3041 is over the shopping area, away fromTorshavn. The only complaints I have seen here are from people with cabin numbers in the 50s.

image.png.c808d0b74f70e0a7ee16a272f9a86451.png

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

For which cabin numbers? All of the cabins between the lifts and the Atrium or just the cabins that are closest to it?

I also carefully read the posts on here about cabin noise and felt safe in booking our cabin (3055).

I heard the music on the loudest nights in the hall up to cabin 3041

Maybe the band was just cranked up extra loud on our cruise, but when one can not hear the TV over the music, it is a problem.

In any case, I would never book any cabin from 3057 to 3041 again.

I would try those further aft  behind the atrium.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I also carefully read the posts on here about cabin noise and felt safe in booking our cabin (3055).

I heard the music on the loudest nights in the hall up to cabin 3041

Maybe the band was just cranked up extra loud on our cruise, but when one can not hear the TV over the music, it is a problem.

In any case, I would never book any cabin from 3057 to 3041 again.

I would try those further aft  behind the atrium.

Thank you so much for your input, Homosassa!

So now I am exploring cabins on deck 4.  The sales rep is offering me 4063, 4066, or 4067.  They all seem to be above the atrium on deck 3.  Is that also a potential noise problem?  I do appreciate all the feedback I’ve gotten thusfar. 😊

1 hour ago, grandma239 said:

So now I am exploring cabins on deck 4.  The sales rep is offering me 4063, 4066, or 4067.  They all seem to be above the atrium on deck 3.  Is that also a potential noise problem?  I do appreciate all the feedback I’ve gotten thusfar. 😊

We have been in 4060, over the lifeboats/tenders. Sometimes there is noise when the boats are raised, lowered or cleaned but we did not have any problems. Our next two cruises will be along that same section of hallway, between the aft lifts and the launderette.

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

We have been in 4060, over the lifeboats/tenders. Sometimes there is noise when the boats are raised, lowered or cleaned but we did not have any problems. Our next two cruises will be along that same section of hallway, between the aft lifts and the launderette.

Thank you for your message, Peregrina ! We’re in 4060 on our upcoming Trade Routes Cruise, and with no scheduled tenders, I’m guessing it will be a quiet location. The fact that you will be returning to that cabin area by choice is reassuring.

Edited by Lorizack
Autocorrect

We were in 3036 and my sister in law and brother in law were in 3038 on Viking Sea earlier this summer.  We never heard any noise from above, below, or around us.  I thought we'd hear the elevators or people on the stairs but we never did.  The rooms are in a great location-easy access to the gangway and restaurants.  And not too far from the World Cafe or Explorers Lounge.  I'd book either of those rooms again.

3 hours ago, Lorizack said:

Thank you for your message, Peregrina ! We’re in 4060 on our upcoming Trade Routes Cruise, and with no scheduled tenders, I’m guessing it will be a quiet location. The fact that you will be returning to that cabin area by choice is reassuring.

Which upcoming Trade  Routes cruise are you on, the September 22 or October 6 2019?

1 hour ago, mhb1757 said:

We have stayed in 3038 and 3043 and have never heard anything from Torshavn or anyplace else while in our cabin. We loved the location and have 3036 reserved for an upcoming cruise. 

I am in 3038  on the Viking Orion  next month.   Good to hear no noise from elevators.  Only problem we have at the moment is Hong Kong.  Cruise starts in Hong Kong.

I wish I haven't seen this topic, but I just had to look at the booking for our Iceland cruise in July 2020, and of course we have reservation for cabin 3041!  I don't think that I will worry about the noise though.  My husband is hard of hearing and I don't sleep that well anyway.  If the music gets loud, I will explore some of the lounges on the ship.  I get seasick and liked the location on a lower deck near the middle of the ship.

I will pick the positives from the above posts, and definitely won't let the cabin location spoil my high expectations for the cruise!

• Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but we looked at a DV6 on Deck 3 that we were going to book. We went to make sure that there wasn't anything above or below (like Torshavn) and found that there was a little incline in the hall. This was leading from the aft cabins, forward, through the atrium. We were looking at where the laundry was (we would have to carry it through the atrium, not a problem, but when we saw the incline I said that I could see myself breaking a leg) I am not the most coordinated person in the world, and the incline to me was the deciding factor and we paid extra to be on Deck 4, more aft. We were in 4108 for 3 weeks, 4106 for a month, then our next is 4105 for a month. We had friends in 3055 that were "upgraded" from a V but they couldn't sleep due to the noise from Torshavn and the lobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonagarr said:

I bet you are! We are not on that one........sure would like to have met you! Safe travels and have a ball!

Thank you. From what I’ve read here on CC, we will most certainly have a wonderful trip with Viking. You too, have a wonderful voyage.

• Like 1