Transferring cabin to another party

sohoda

We have an upcoming Galapagos cruise on Celebrity.  Well before final payment; cruise is sold out.  Family members originally planned to travel on the same cruise in a separate cabin, but plan to cancel (have not yet cancelled).   We have friends who would like to travel on the cruise and have the reservation transferred to them.  Is it possible to transfer a reservation to another party.  

Thank you in advance.  

Cathleen

Someone else may have more experience with this sort of thing (and perhaps have a work around), but I am fairly certain that at least one person from the original booking must remain in order to change any others.  

Strongly suggest the lead member of the cancelling couple and the lead member of the replacement couple make a phone call together and see if they can do anything for you. 

As rebeccac says, it was my understanding too that one name needed to remain unchanged but if an explanation was made about a ‘family and friends’ cruise you never know.

Just as an aside, if a straight transfer of room cannot be arranged but Celebrity is willing to offer the room to your friends as the other couple cancels it will probably be at a significantly higher price...Your friends need to be aware of this. With a sold out cruise any rooms that become available will be at a premium price.

While this is not something Celebrity 'normally' does, it can happen.  I did something similar, and transferred a cabin in my name to some friends, AND, at the original booking price.  Just call in - the worse that can happen is they say 'no'.  When they say 'no', try again... and again! (My transfer was done on the 1st call).

Thanks for everyone’s help.  We plan to first phone Celebrity - with the other couple also in the conversation - as a first try.  If that does not work, we are cruising with Celebrity in a few weeks - will speak with the future cruise consultant on board.

1 hour ago, sohoda said:

Thanks for everyone’s help.  We plan to first phone Celebrity - with the other couple also in the conversation - as a first try.  If that does not work, we are cruising with Celebrity in a few weeks - will speak with the future cruise consultant on board.

Kathleen, please report back on the outcome, .... following as we may have same scenario.

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Why not just call Celebrity and get their input?  Their opinion is only one that matters, not anything on here.

Anyone faced with an unusual problem or situation is wise to consult fellow passengers here before calling Celebrity. As anyone reading this board knows, you can get very different responses from Celebrity, depending on who answers the phone. If someone on CC with relevant experience can provide useful information or suggestions before you make the call, why would you not try to obtain it first?   

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Anyone faced with an unusual problem or situation is wise to consult fellow passengers here before calling Celebrity. As anyone reading this board knows, you can get very different responses from Celebrity, depending on who answers the phone. If someone on CC with relevant experience can provide useful information or suggestions before you make the call, why would you not try to obtain it first?   

Because only their decision counts.  Maybe it is me.  I just go and get it done rather than going round and round with people pecking at keyboards.

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Because only their decision counts.  Maybe it is me.  I just go and get it done rather than going round and round with people pecking at keyboards.

Too bad if the Celebrity employee erroneously tells you that it can't be done and you simply accept that answer when there might be CC members with personal experience who not only can tell you that it can be done but can also tell you the steps to take. But if calling Celebrity is your preference, do so by all means.

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Too bad if the Celebrity employee erroneously tells you that it can't be done and you simply accept that answer when there might be CC members with personal experience who not only can tell you that it can be done but can also tell you the steps to take. But if calling Celebrity is your preference, do so by all means.

It is.

I know why you reached out to CC for others experiences.

If someone has had success, then maybe your circumstances would allow you to do the same.

At least you'd be more forcefull in your request.

But, even if everyone here says you can't do it, you never know. 

I would still call, as they have had some issues with Galapagos, and maybe you can use that in your favor.

My experience has been that they won't change an entire reservation.

I had booked 5 rooms, for family and friends, for a 40th anniversary, while on-board, when the Edge first opened up for booking, nearly two years out.

As I didn't have everyone's full information, they put all 5 reservation originally in my name and address.

Once I got home, our TA updated the reservations with everyone's names and birthdays, but left our address, as we were paying for everyone.

As the date approached, we were delighted to find that one of our family was pregnant, and would be unable to cruise at that time. 

As luck would have it, we just happened to be talking to the best man from our wedding, the night after we found out about our Granddaughter, and we asked if they'd be interested, if we could switch the reservation. They said they would.

I called our TA, who said, "Celebrity doesn't allow you to do that, but you know, because the reservation was originally in your name, and still at your address, I'll give it a try, you never know!"

The big problem was that the price had more than doubled from our original booking, so I wasn't expecting anything.

Our TA got back to us, and told us that she was told by the Celebrity Agent, that Florida law did not allow for the changing the booking, to keep speculators from reserving refundable rooms, and then reselling them online, if prices increased.

I don't know if that is an actual law, but it does make sense.