,daily automatic tips

psawka

17 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Just because you worked behind a bar at a resturant doesn’t mean you understand the service industry.    

Cause you really do not have any idea about the industry.     

On post 17 you were bowing out, but you keep insisting I do not understand the service industry. I am not particularly bothered as to whether I understand it or not, I am merely pointing out that if NCL have a service charge that is DISCRETIONARY and can be removed by signing a form, then I am reserving my right NOT to pay this charge and not tip anybody if I so desire

Edited by cottagers2000

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

At no point did the OP say they wanted to reduce the amount they pay, they simply said they wanted to distribute it themselves and asked it that was possible.

I live in the real world and know that the people's so called individual tips will not come close to the total DSC. 

There should be a sticky which sets out what you can and can't do with the DSC and then when one of these threads pop up, it gets directed to the sticky and the thread locked by a mod.

I'm sure people only start them for personal gratification. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

There should be a sticky which sets out what you can and can't do with the DSC and then when one of these threads pop up, it gets directed to the sticky and the thread locked by a mod.

I'm sure people only start them for personal gratification. 

Or people should actually read the thread where the OP said he didn’t start this for there own personal gratification.   Just a few post back from yours.    Laziness. 

Or maybe use the  search feature. And answer your own question.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Or people should actually read the thread where the OP said he didn’t start this for there own personal gratification.   Just a few post back from yours.    Laziness. 

Or maybe use the  search feature. And answer your own question.   

Unbelievable you criticise me when you can't be bothered and are too lazy to read the thread and my first reply..... This is indeed pure laziness on your part!!

I am well aware the OP did not do this for their own gratification and I supported them to this end.... care to read the thread?

It was you and cottagers2000 who started battling about withdrawing the DSC and frankly YOU who tried to inflame the situation, as I very clearly said before, the OP NEVER suggested reducing the DSC, they only asked if they could make their own arrangements.

Exactly what search should I do? I did not ask a question, did you even bother to read my post before replying?

I stand by my statement, these threads are pointless, they should be locked and directed to a sticky with the facts.

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

What that your just as cheap as the OP.  Yeah precisely.        🔨

Yet again you are too lazy to read this thread, I already stated I always pay the DSC, I would not even consider removing it, why this attack on me?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

the OP said he didn’t start this for there own personal gratification.

16 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

What that your just as cheap as the OP.  Yeah precisely.        🔨

Just Gold lol

8 hours ago, RaiderDuck said:

You can go to Guest Services and fill out a form.

Something to think of, though: If you do that, how are you going to reward the chef who cooks your food, or the people who wash your towels, or the performers on stage, or the hundreds of others you will never personally meet and have the opportunity to tip?

Keeping the daily gratuities on your bill make sure everyone gets paid.

This is how you gain access to abehind the scenes tour... just knock on the ‘crew only’ door and start handing out $20 dollar bills.

personally I feel to tip every person that works behind the scenes would cost you a fortune.

maybe the OP wants to pay more then the designated $17.50 per person per day... I would not want to have that much cash on me or in my room for that matter.

• Like 1

Why do people automatically call someone CHEAP when they DARE ask a question about DSC?  How do you know what someone is willing to tip?  Those of you who say that someone who tips directly never tips as much as the DSC, what’s your data source?  Have you taken a survey and do you know what people REALLY tip who tip in cash?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psawka said:

All the people in "the background" do a lot of work and should be paid an honest wage by their employer....the ones that directly benefit me are the wait staff and the housekeeper.  Any other thing that is done for me I would tip at the time.  as for the amount, it is not unreasonable...as a matter of fact, when I leave the ship the amount of tips to the wait staff and house keepers usually is greater than the daily charge, but has been well earned by these individuals.  All others are the responsibility of the employer, not the passengers.  We don't leave a tip for every employee of a motel when we stay there....as a matter of fact many people do not even tip the house keepers (my daughter and grand daughter have held these jobs and got nothing) and certainly should not be expected to trip all the other staff members that are involved in maked the motel work.  It is an individual decision to make...my original question was to find out what I could about NCL .not to start a battle with anyone, nor was it posted for my entertianment.

The issue is that your initial post is based on the false premise that you are paying a daily "gratuity". 

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

At least when people googled things the most accurate answer would show up first.

lol.   Is that what you think?

I’m glad I’m not the one who said that.

Yes, this message board is filled with “peoples’ opinions and experiences.”  I think the average person understands that.   Occasionally I do see the odd newcomer that actually thinks they’re addressing the cruise line when they leave a question here.  But we’re all grownups.  We can navigate what we think is accurate or not and take responsibility for doing our own research.

So I’m not even sure what point you’re making except to express a disdain for The Great Unwashed in general, perhaps.

Not seen many $2 bills ever..... seriously.  Its not just American guests that pay the DSC and tip extra when it is deserved.  I couldn’t imagine going to Guest services to ask to have the DSC removed.  I would be embarrassed as in our experience the staff onboard work so hard to ensure we have a great cruise they deserve it.

31 minutes ago, ppcox said:

Not seen many $2 bills ever..... seriously.  Its not just American guests that pay the DSC and tip extra when it is deserved.  I couldn’t imagine going to Guest services to ask to have the DSC removed.  I would be embarrassed as in our experience the staff onboard work so hard to ensure we have a great cruise they deserve it.

It is embarrassing and I wish there was another way to do it.  Before I get flamed I want to say I only removed my cabin steward's part and that was after calling multiple times throughout the cruise about the problems we were having (it was a Carnival cruise).  That being said there should be a way to do it that doesn't make one feel like they are walking in the line of shame as they are trying to change their tips.

1 minute ago, Jasonmom said:

It is embarrassing and I wish there was another way to do it.  Before I get flamed I want to say I only removed my cabin steward's part and that was after calling multiple times throughout the cruise about the problems we were having (it was a Carnival cruise).  That being said there should be a way to do it that doesn't make one feel like they are walking in the line of shame as they are trying to change their tips.

But that's for a legit reason if they never fixed the problem and the hotel managers did nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

i agree there should be another way to do it in those circumstances...

45 minutes ago, ppcox said:

No embarrassment at all in asking Guest Services to remove a service charge that is DISCRETIONARY. NCL actually advised me when I booked exactly what to do if I did not wish to pay the Daily Service Charge. I certainly don't think that they were embarrassed in telling me how to go about having the charge refunded and credited to my account

• Like 2

The whole DSC and tipping even in the "olden" days was always a source of stress for me.

But that is the way NCL has organized their fares so I just go along with it. I pay the DSC and

then tip extra to the steward if he is good and if my grandaughter spills her juice on the floor

I tip the person cleaning it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1