Review - Reef Endeavour - Fiji

We recently returned from Fiji where we embarked on a new experience for DW & I - our first 'small ship' or expedition cruise. After 17 ocean cruises covering much of Australia, NZ and Sth Pacific + Alaska/Hawaii we went for something totally different. We travelled with my sister and BIL.

The Captain Cook Reef Endeavour has only 63 cabins and a capacity of around 130 passengers. For our 30 Jul- 3 Aug 4N Yasawa Is cruise from/to Denarau Is there were only 58 passengers, and with around 45 staff, almost a 1:1 ratio. We had an OV cabin starboard on deck 2. It was most comfortable for us, not 5 star, but clean & comfortable.

We had arrived to Fiji two days ahead of the cruise & stayed at Radisson Blu, Denarau. Very nice resort and we enjoyed Denarau, which I wasn't sure we would. Post cruise we spent a week at Hideaway Resort on the Coral Coast, which we enjoyed - the staff there are wonderful. The cruise was the highlight of our Fiji visit.

A small ship in Fiji makes for a very different experience. We checked-in in about 2.5 mins & we directed to the Rumbah Yacht Club to relax, with a complimentary drink, until boarding. “I will come and get you" we were told. He was a man of his word, as just about 1pm on the dot, the bell in the bar rang & we walked the short distance to our ship. 

After the welcome aboard, which included a light lunch, we went and unpacked & the wonderful adventure began. We were quickly underway enroute to our first stop Tivua Is for afternoon snorkelling/ beach activities. Then back on-board for afternoon tea, drinks & canapes & then welcome aboard dinner. Afterwards adjourning to the lounge for a few drinks & the evening entertainment.

From next morning the pattern was set – buffet breakfast, onto the landing crafts for either snorkelling, beach or glass bottom boats, back for a lecture from the staff on Fiji culture or the reef etc, lunch, onto the landing crafts for either snorkelling, beach or glass bottom boats, back on-board for afternoon tea, drinks & canapes & dinner. Afterwards adjourning to the lounge for a few drinks & the evening entertainment. Night times was fairly quiet with most off to bed early to prepare for the next day, but we partied on a little, as some of the staff enjoyed their kava ceremony. Crab racing & music trivia were great fun.

We visited Brother Is, Naviti Is, Drawaqa Bay, Yaqeta Beach Sawa-I-Lau Is (with caves) & Blue Lagoon (where the movie was filmed), the village of Gunu & Matacawaleva School.

The combination of Fiji time, the incredible friendly crew on the ship, the scenery, both above and below the water, the Fijian people, the weather, the food, a few drinks all combined for an incredible experience that we thoroughly recommend.

We were sad to depart as the crew sang goodbye to us all and we all hugged and shook hands with the wonderful crew. A great time!

Edited by mr walker
spacing of paragraphs
  • Like 3

Did you snorkel into the Blue Lagoon cave?

We stayed on Yasawa many years ago and did an excursion to that area which included snorkelling through a short tunnel into the cave. It was scary but we were both glad we did it.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:57 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Did you snorkel into the Blue Lagoon cave?

We stayed on Yasawa many years ago and did an excursion to that area which included snorkelling through a short tunnel into the cave. It was scary but we were both glad we did it.

I don't recall it being mentioned & not sure I would have snorkeled thru the tunnel myself.

The interesting thing for me was how shallow the entire lagoon was - never found a spot deeper than just over waist high. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, mr walker said:

We recently returned from Fiji where we embarked on a new experience for DW & I - our first 'small ship' or expedition cruise. After 17 ocean cruises covering much of Australia, NZ and Sth Pacific + Alaska/Hawaii we went for something totally different. We travelled with my sister and BIL.

_SNIP_

We visited Brother Is, Naviti Is, Drawaqa Bay, Yaqeta Beach Sawa-I-Lau Is (with caves) & Blue Lagoon (where the movie was filmed), the village of Gunu & Matacawaleva School.

The combination of Fiji time, the incredible friendly crew on the ship, the scenery, both above and below the water, the Fijian people, the weather, the food, a few drinks all combined for an incredible experience that we thoroughly recommend.

We were sad to depart as the crew sang goodbye to us all and we all hugged and shook hands with the wonderful crew. A great time!

Love Fiji!

Great report, Have you got some pics for us to drool over?

Have seriously thought about the cruise you did.

Yasawa Islands are just amazing, been to a few of the smaller islands too.

BULA!

Craig

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

I don't recall it being mentioned & not sure I would have snorkeled thru the tunnel myself.

It was a very short tunnel, only a metre or two, and they had locals positioned at each end to help people through. Still, it was a bit scary if you'd never done anything like that before but the cave was amazing. It was a long time ago, 2002 I think, when we did it.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was a very short tunnel, only a metre or two, and they had locals positioned at each end to help people through. Still, it was a bit scary if you'd never done anything like that before but the cave was amazing. It was a long time ago, 2002 I think, when we did it.

There was no mention of this, and in my research for the trip I never saw reference to it - maybe discontinued? When we arrived on the lagoon beach, the crew leader advised what we could do there, and, as at each stop, advised us the limits we could go to, which in this case was anywhere in the lagoon, out as far as the breakers.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Sounds great, might do it one day. Thanks for review Mr Walker.  BTW are you related to Johnny? 

No, no relation. mr walker is just my 'screen name' that I had used on unrelated forum and went with it when I joined cc. It is the 'real' name of a famous literary/movie character.

OT - I will be down the far south coast on the Oct long weekend for a birthday party, staying at Merimbula - the party is at a place I didn't even know of - Wallagoot. Haven't been down that way for years, so any advice for a visitor?

41 minutes ago, mr walker said:

No, no relation. mr walker is just my 'screen name' that I had used on unrelated forum and went with it when I joined cc. It is the 'real' name of a famous literary/movie character.

OT - I will be down the far south coast on the Oct long weekend for a birthday party, staying at Merimbula - the party is at a place I didn't even know of - Wallagoot. Haven't been down that way for years, so any advice for a visitor?

Now Wallagoot is a locality between Bega/Tathra and Merimbula/Tura, off Sapphire Coast Drive.  The local race course is there, but little else.  Only 10 minutes from Merimbula re accom, eateries etc.  Merimbula is nice, has very good facilities.  Enjoy.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

The Ghost who walks, The phantom, or the Purple bad people beater.