Smallest Ship

elklemi

NCL Spirit is the smallest. I've been on the Spirit 4 times and was my first NCL ship.

The Spirit is a nice ship but any of the Jewel class ships are nice if you like smaller ships.

Gem, Jewel, Jade, etc

Edited by aceparty
  • Like 1

While I do understand what the OP is asking...to be technical...none of the answers given are accurate. 

When the Norway was still an active NCL ship, she carried two tenders on her bow

LN.jpg.40198393c534fb8ab081a27346a919a9.jpg

The norm on ships is that they carry boats (life boats, tender boats, etc). A little known fact is that the tenders on the Norway were actually registered as ships...not as boats. This made the Norway the only ship that carried ships. When the Norway was decommissioned, NCL put these two ships (called Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2) to work on Great Stirrup Cay...and they are still in use today.

So actually, these two are the smallest ships in NCL's fleet.

Further reading:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/ncl/ss-norway/ss-norway---little-norway.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Smallest = Spirit

Next = Sun and Sky

Next = Dawn and Star

Next = the Jewel class ships: Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem

You'll want to stick the Pride of America in after the Dawn and Star.

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

You'll want to stick the Pride of America in after the Dawn and Star.

Sure, thanks! But it's before the Dawn and Star ...

Smallest = Spirit

Next = Sun and Sky

Next = Pride of America

Next = Dawn and Star

Next = the Jewel class ships: Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem

In terms of gross tonnage because why not:

75,400 - Spirit
     77,104 - Sky
     78,309 - Sun
    80,439 - POA
    91,740 - Star
    92,250 - Dawn
     93,502 - Jewel
    93,530 - Pearl
    93,530 - Gem
    93,558 - Jade

I guess you have your answer and there is one thing to remember: some are quoting tonnage and some passenger numbers. I will add, the only problem with the Spirit is the cabin sizes; they are super tiny.. Our favorite ships are the Dawn and the Jewel class, followed by the Sun. 

6 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I guess you have your answer and there is one thing to remember: some are quoting tonnage and some passenger numbers. I will add, the only problem with the Spirit is the cabin sizes; they are super tiny.. Our favorite ships are the Dawn and the Jewel class, followed by the Sun. 

Which it is probably wise to look at both GTW and Pax numbers.  Then it is easy to see that a smaller ship with more pax would have to have smaller cabins.  Both the Spirit and the Star were originally built for Star Lines - an Asian cruise line that was once affiliated with NCL. The Spirit was actually in service for Star when it was transferred in 2004, the Star was transferred when built in 2001. The Sky was originally ordered by Costa Cruises but sold to NCL before completion in 1999.

6 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

Which it is probably wise to look at both GTW and Pax numbers.  Then it is easy to see that a smaller ship with more pax would have to have smaller cabins.  Both the Spirit and the Star were originally built for Star Lines - an Asian cruise line that was once affiliated with NCL. The Spirit was actually in service for Star when it was transferred in 2004, the Star was transferred when built in 2001. The Sky was originally ordered by Costa Cruises but sold to NCL before completion in 1999.

Thanks,  I had forgotten the Star was also part of the Star lines: I did know about the Spirit. I love the decor on the Spirit but don't think I would take her again due to the small cabins. I have been on her twice and the Star twice. One more fact The Sun was also purchased from Costa just prior the completion. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, SeaShark said:

While I do understand what the OP is asking...to be technical...none of the answers given are accurate. 

When the Norway was still an active NCL ship, she carried two tenders on her bow

LN.jpg.40198393c534fb8ab081a27346a919a9.jpg

The norm on ships is that they carry boats (life boats, tender boats, etc). A little known fact is that the tenders on the Norway were actually registered as ships...not as boats. This made the Norway the only ship that carried ships. When the Norway was decommissioned, NCL put these two ships (called Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2) to work on Great Stirrup Cay...and they are still in use today.

So actually, these two are the smallest ships in NCL's fleet.

Further reading:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/ncl/ss-norway/ss-norway---little-norway.html

Cool info, I rode on one of these just this past Friday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

One more fact The Sun was also purchased from Costa just prior the completion. 

The ship that eventually became known as Norwegian Sky was originally ordered in December 1993 by Costa Cruises from the Bremer Vulkan shipyard in Bremen, Germany as the second in a pair of sister ships. The first sister, Costa Victoria, was delivered on July 10, 1996. Construction of the second sister, Costa Olympia, had started several months before, but by July 1996, Bremer Vulkan was experiencing severe financial difficulties, and work on Costa Olympia was suspended when only 35% of the ship was completed. On October 6, 1996, the incomplete hull was launched, floated out of drydock and subsequently laid up.

Costa Cruises decided not to purchase the unfinished ship, and Costa Olympia remained laid up at Bremer Vulkan until December 1997, when Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) purchased her. Costa Olympia was redesigned as Norwegian Sky by Tillberg Design (who had also been responsible for her original planned design as Costa Olympia). On March 8, 1998, the ship was towed to Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven, Germany where her construction was completed. In 1998, NCL ordered two additional ships of Norwegian Sky design. The first of these was delivered in 2001 as Norwegian Sun while the order for the second one was cancelled. Norwegian Sky was launched in late June 1999, underwent her sea trials on July 17, 1999, and was delivered to NCL on July 28, 1999.

We did our first cruise on the Sky in 2002 - on that trip we found out that the Sky was the first NCL ship built with Freestyle Dining in mind.