Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

23 hours ago, shadowfox7 said:

Hi all...now that they have added Sri Lanka to the itinerary...do we need to scramble and get a Visa???

Looks like it's required for US citizens.

What about those of you already onboard?

I had not thought about visas with all the other changes going on.  Again, it is a monumental job Viking is doing with all the necessary changes going on.  Makes me glad all my ships only carried cargo....🍺

RE: Visa...checked with Viking and yes we need to get a Sri Lanka visa...went to www.ivisa.com and applied online.

Got it in 3 hours via email.$57/person.

I wonder when new excursions will show up on the website.  Viator seems to have good ideas for the new areas.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:14 PM, stretchcruz said:

Andy, if you weren't scheduled for Lombok somewhere along the line and haven't researched it, I recommend Rinjani transport for a private tour. We had a nice van for 2 of us and had a good tour of beaches, a native village, a little show, rice fields, etc. It was $25 I think. They have a website. The folks on the ships tours weren't happy. Traffic there is crazy.

Thanks for the suggestion, which is perfect timing, as another couple asked me last night if I had anything planned yet for Lombok. Will check them out. 

On 2/21/2020 at 12:54 AM, OnTheJourney said:

"Sure beats a boring Caribbean or Meddy cruise."

Andy...I really had hoped you would have at least addressed this comment given a few of the responses that followed...guess not though. 

Sorry, must have missed them, as I don't have time to stop by CC every day. When Judi logs in, I miss some of the posts and unlike at home, I just don't have time to back-track.

I'm the first to admit that having visited many ports multiple times, I can be somewhat jaded. My biggest issue with those 2 areas is mostly the number of other huge ships. On this cruises we have only seen 2 mega ships in almost 7 weeks. Don't know the follow on comments, but if anyone took offence, my apologies.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, which is perfect timing, as another couple asked me last night if I had anything planned yet for Lombok. Will check them out. 

They met us right outside of the port gates. Be sure that you tell them you want a driver with good English skills. Ours was still learning, but we tag teamed with another van and that driver spoke excellent English. The local village was eye opening. They took us all through and even encouraged us to look inside the homes. I forget the statistics but many of the same families have lived there forever. One of the grandmas was sitting on the floor chewing tobacco to make her teeth healthy.

A tad windy in Airlie Beach yesterday, with 4.5' seas, which would have been rather uncomfortable for a 25 minute tender trip ashore. Therefore, at 11:00 we heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" and the Captain advising us of the wind & sea conditions, with winds having gusted as high as 60 kts.

Missed Airlie Beach, so he is setting course for Townsville with an ETA of 21:00, which gives us another unexpected overnight in port.

Excellent decision by the Captain, as most pax wouldn't want to be in tenders in these conditions. Having been hit by freak winds at tender ports a couple of times, it's a tough trip back to the ship and can be a challenging docking.

• Like 2

Andy, and Linda and Nick, looks like you may have 2 days in Bali? We stayed there after our Auckland to Bali cruise last year and had an awesome private driver/tour guide. We hired him for 4 days and he had so many suggestions and we saw so much! He's an awesome family man with several grown sons. It was $60/day for the van. He picked us up at the ship, brought us to our hotel, brought us all around. Wonderful! I found him through an aussie here on CC. Ketut Wirtana. ketutbestdriverinbali@gmail.com 

I think I'm allowed to say that, but if not I'm following your blog Andy. He's a really good guy and tailors your days to what you want.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - Komodo's still a go, received the new tickets this morning

Great!  Of all the fantastic places we went on the Inaugural, Komodo always pops up.  I guess I am just one of those weird ones....  Did I tell you about the hike?  A two hour hike through the jungle, seeing a couple of big spiders but no dragons, returned us to just right of where we originally started.  If you want to skip the jungle trail just turn right off the tender dock, go through the shed with the vendors, over a small bridge to the watering hole where most of the lizards hang out anyway.  It's a watering hole.  Dragon version of the Explorer's Lounge.....🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Wondering  where the World cruise is today?

Haven't heard from anyone in awhile.

You can follow along via the webcam [link below] (click 'Overview Map' in bottom left corner, to see where they are each day). The webcam shot updates a couple of times an hour generally.

But yes, it seems not many CC members on board - as it has been quiet here.

https://viking.panomax.com/sun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, another adjustment trying to get to the ship for the March 9 start...originally going from Seattle to Hong Kong...then re-routed to Inchon South Korea to get to Bali...well now SK is shut down for departing flights to most locations!  Spent a couple of hours with a wonderful Viking Air rep this morning.  Now we are flying from Seattle to Dubai and on to Bali via Emirates.

I can't imagine what nightmare people that booked their own air are going through.

Also spoke with the cruise side of Viking and they say the ship is sold out...really? no cancellations? think they may be trying to PR control?

4 hours ago, shadowfox7 said:

Well, another adjustment trying to get to the ship for the March 9 start...originally going from Seattle to Hong Kong...then re-routed to Inchon South Korea to get to Bali...well now SK is shut down for departing flights to most locations!  Spent a couple of hours with a wonderful Viking Air rep this morning.  Now we are flying from Seattle to Dubai and on to Bali via Emirates.

I can't imagine what nightmare people that booked their own air are going through.

Also spoke with the cruise side of Viking and they say the ship is sold out...really? no cancellations? think they may be trying to PR control?

Cabins are opening up at every port. Some people are taking up Viking's generous offer of a pro-rated refund, for various reasons. We are also losing a number of the "Whiners" in Darwin and Bali.

Somebody apparently went ashore yesterday and purchased a supply of "Magical Mystery Tour" t-shirts. Looking forward to seeing then around the ship.

• Like 3

I just spent some time catching up on this thread after some time off to do my own Viking SA cruise.  I love the new cruise name - Magical Mystery Tour - and appreciate the positive comments on itinerary change whether due to weather conditions or virus outbreaks.  The job that Viking has to do with these changes is mind boggling.  And on top of that they are offering compensation for missed ports.  Amazing!  After reading about how cruise ships are being refused entry to ports, being quarantined, and refusing to refund, I appreciate Viking thinking ahead.  Viking is certainly in a class above.

• Like 5

On 2/28/2020 at 11:56 PM, Heidi13 said:

Cabins are opening up at every port. Some people are taking up Viking's generous offer of a pro-rated refund, for various reasons. We are also losing a number of the "Whiners" in Darwin and Bali.

I am amazed that your ship is going to Indonesia. Other world cruise ships skip South East Asia completely. I don't know whether it is out of an abundance of caution. Anyway, I like your new itinerary.