Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

37 minutes ago, Gigiandbaba said:

Jim, how many passengers are staying on for the whole 245 day World cruise?

Found this story in my Google news feed a few weeks ago and saved it.  According to this story, it's 54.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9834429/viking-sun-ship-london-worlds-longest-cruise-245-days/amp

We can’t wait to board! We’re finishing up our Norway in a Nutshell tour, on the final train leg back to Bergen. The 2-hour ride on the fjord was spectacular, only drawback was the rains and cloudy skies. We rode on the world’s first battery-powered boat! Sleek and modern. Only in Norway ...

Edited by OceanPatter

On 9/14/2019 at 3:22 AM, OceanPatter said:

It’s early morning in Bergen ... can someone please update us on the itinerary change, and confirm that the Sun will be spending an extra night in Bergen - thus leaving on Monday instead of Sunday? (And miss Lerwick?)

You are probably already in possession of the new schedule, but here is the "Daily" for 14th published schedule.

20190915_083759.jpg

I just noticed that you will be arriving in Montreal on 9/28. We board the Viking Sea on 9/26. Will you be following us around on the Eastern Seaboard Explorer as one of your segments?  If so are you stopping at Halifax or Portland?  The Eastern Seaboard Explorer itinerary has Halifax listed, but from our original booking we are going to Portland. Viking can’t seem to tell us why.  Someone obviously knows but is not sharing that info 😁

I didn’t notice when we first got our documents way back when, but when I checked MVJ, it was listed as Portland.  Then for some time the port stop disappeared and they had it listed as a sea day. Then Portland was back.  Doesn’t really matter all that much. We have been to both cities and like both. Just seemed a bit odd.

And now Dorian has done some damage in Halifax, so I don’t know whether we would have been able to go there anyway. Seems Dorian is still creating havoc. 

Perhaps we will be ships passing in the night at some point!

Bon Voyage! 

Nice photos, Tom ... you must be using a real camera. As to the gray skies, our tour guide told us that, on those rare sunny days in Bergen, the schools and businesses close ... the opposite of a snow day, I guess. 

The excursion we took today was cut short because the waters were too rough for us to go out on a small boat to a small island. But we did visit a Stave church, a reproduction of the original one dating back 1,000 years.

Honestly, the weather was miserable, despite what the guide said ... that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. So Norwegian.

After the ship leaves Bergen tonight, we are expecting rough seas. The rock-and-rolling kind. Stay tuned.

Those pix’s such pretty countryside. One of our favorite areas for the scenery. Been 2 times but did it in July I think we had good weather.  It is like Alaska you never know what month or week will be the best,you just have to go with it and grin and bear it.

see some of you Oct 10th    How has the food been?  2 years ago we were a little disappointed,maybe a world cruise it will be different and we will share a few weeks of it.

We're boarding in LA ending in London.  Here's a few questions for you guys already on board.

According to the Viking site, all the SPA facilities; sauna, snow grotto, thermal pool, steam room, etc. have hours of 8a-8p.  If we're on board, and you decide after dinner to use any of these facilities... it'll be pretty close to closing time.  Are these posted times hard times, or do you find that you can use these facilities after those hours?

Cabin supplies (bath) - What is supplied?  Q-tips, cotton balls, etc?  

8 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Nice photos, Tom ... you must be using a real camera. As to the gray skies, our tour guide told us that, on those rare sunny days in Bergen, the schools and businesses close ... the opposite of a snow day, I guess. 

The excursion we took today was cut short because the waters were too rough for us to go out on a small boat to a small island. But we did visit a Stave church, a reproduction of the original one dating back 1,000 years.

Honestly, the weather was miserable, despite what the guide said ... that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. So Norwegian.

After the ship leaves Bergen tonight, we are expecting rough seas. The rock-and-rolling kind. Stay tuned.

We have sailed into Bergen twice and both times the weather was spectacular! The locals were absolutely giddy both times, an absolute carnival atmosphere.

Thanks for the great photos Tom.  You really braved the cold and wet to get some good shots.  As we had been out and about in cold and rain for two days we declared yesterday  a "sea day".  Had one of those hard days "doing nothing".  Bergen was a beautiful place and a really nice, easily accessible port from where we docked.  And what a collection of different types of boats and ships to check out.  The Captain made a perfect call delaying departure till after all had eaten and gotten tucked into bed.  We were warned the departure would be bumpy and they were right.  It was dark so I could not really see but it seemed we sailed out into confused seas.  This is sea where waves come from several directions at the same time producing an erratic ride as compared to a steady roll or pitch.  Maybe it is best described as riding in a 4 wheel drive pickup down a bad road and every now and then running over a dead cow.......  BOOM, shake, shake, shake.  But we were prepared for it with bottles, etc. placed on the deck and the coffee slider taped shut.  No issues at all other than disturbed sleep at each "cow".  This morning dawned much smoother.  Still some motion but not bad at all.  Just makes me want to sleep.  We have our next Cruise Critic Meet & Greet at 5:30 pm today.  Viking set up a fajita station on the Pool Deck for lunch.  Lois said it was really good.  I opted for one of the Pool Grill burgers.  Ran into one of our fellow Inaugural WC passengers at the Grill and we compared notes on the differences in this WC.  As we just finished our first segment a few observations.  There is less emphasis on World Cruise.  On the Inaugural, the owner, his daughter, their dog, and others all made appearances.  But then the crew is much more settled in this trip.  The new group boarded in Bergen seems a bit more energetic than the last so a change of personnel (passengers) every few weeks is not as much a difference as was thought on the Roll Calls.  If I can say there is a negative to having segments it is having to attend the emergency drill more often.  We had it yesterday and had also done it two weeks earlier.  On the Inaugural WC, with all passengers doing the entire cruise, we had the emergency drill monthly.  Not a big deal at all.  So a nice easy day today and the Faeroe Islands tomorrow.  More later.

Jim, so look forward to meeting you at the m+m tonight! You’ve been such a presence on this board, thank you for your great postings.

Tom, so your photos were taken on an iPhone X! My husband has one, while I only have the 7s. (Which still manages to capture awesome shots ... Apple technology never fails to impress.) Hope to meet you at the mingle tonight. Perhaps you can take/upload some group shots.