Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

29 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

I have spent time in all three places. Norway is spectacular, Alaska is magnificent and Greenland is awesome.....everybody happy now?

And for those of you continuing on, you have the Chilean fjords to look forward to.  They were my favorite of all (although I haven’t been to Greenland—yet!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I have spent time in all three places. Norway is spectacular, Alaska is magnificent and Greenland is awesome.....everybody happy now?

The glass is neither half full nor half empty, just to big for it's contents.  Which is a GOOD thing.  Room for more adventures and memories.

1 hour ago, NY Nick said:

The glass is neither half full nor half empty, just to big for it's contents.  Which is a GOOD thing.  Room for more adventures and memories.

Well put, Nick.

During my wandering life, I’ve been fortunate to live and work in Alaska (10 years) and in Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks.  I’ve hiked throughout the Rockies, the Sierra Nevada, the Alps, the Andes, the Himalaya, New Zealand, and yes, Iceland and Norway.  I’ve seen some truly spectacular places.  Yesterday we were lucky enough to visit another one.

The world is full of special places!  As Nick says, it’s “too big for its contents.” Enjoy each destination on its own merits, rather than comparing it to someplace else. 

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Well put, Nick.

The world is full of special places!  As Nick says, it’s “too big for its contents.” Enjoy each destination on its own merits, rather than comparing it to someplace else. 

A world cruise, or even any part of it, ENJOY!  

"Enjoy each destination on its own merits, rather than comparing it to someplace else."

Now THAT'S well put.

• Like 1

Maybe my comment started some thoughts of others. I have seen these places 2times Norway Fjords,2 times greenland and Iceland and 6 to Alaska. And  have seen South America 

I can say I enjoyed it all and how different.just feel blessed to see all this variety of scenery some only see the pictures and some don’t care to travel and some of these pix’s bring back memories and I want to get out the pictures to compare.

Edited by brownblonde
Addition

3 hours ago, brownblonde said:

Maybe my comment started some thoughts of others. I have seen these places 2times Norway Fjords,2 times greenland and Iceland and 6 to Alaska. And  have seen South America 

I can say I enjoyed it all and how different.just feel blessed to see all this variety of scenery some only see the pictures and some don’t care to travel and some of these pix’s bring back memories and I want to get out the pictures to compare.

And while I have only been to Alaska I have really been enjoying all of the wonderful photos that have been posted.  Thanks to all!  CTBob

Pop Quiz - “Name that Fjord”

I thought this might be fun, given the variety of opinions on “best fjords” 😈

Below are six fjord pictures from various locations around the world. See if you can name the country for each. Big bonus points for the fjord name and / or nearby city. 

To quote David Feherty, “as always, the winners receive nothing”. 

I’ll post the the answers separately in a day or so.  Enjoy 🥌

B31924C9-8042-4AC7-8B60-2647E8C815B3.jpeg

6D5AA830-91BD-43AA-ACBA-BCEB0B83FAE7.jpeg

40EA3D3A-C02B-4D57-BF58-5639B47534F0.jpeg

9E3BE672-A2F7-49E1-949D-CA4733E81546.jpeg

F887AC28-348B-40B8-AB38-73445920E23F.jpeg

AF6E9F4F-5D2C-4F88-8762-78959C791EC6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Love the photos.  Keep them coming.  What a difference a little sun makes but then the cloudy black and white looking ones are stunning also.

Still no Panamax camera showing beyond 9/19.  Please will someone onboard ask about getting it fixed.

Guest Services advises that we have inadequate satellite signal for the webcam in the Greenland area, but it should return as we reach lower latitudes (unclear whether Newfoundland qualifies 😈 ).

I think Heidi13 posted this earlier, but on a different thread. Keep checking. 🥌

For those of you interested in the Bergen - Montreal segment of this world cruise (known as In the Wake of the Vikings), here are some observations so far, two-thirds into the voyage:

- weather: cold, wet and grey

- outside temps: 40 to 55 F

- seas: rough

- no. of days retractable roof has been open: 0 (I think)

- no. of sea days: six, out of 12 sailing days ... which amounts to 50% sea days

- no. of missed ports: two

- most picturesque port: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands

- biggest regret: not getting off the bus in Iceland to see the black sand and basalt beach (which was the main reason some passengers took this cruise)

- nicest Viking gesture: greeting us with rum as we came back from a cold port

- most unique experience: searching for the elusive aurora with the resident astronomer on deck 9 in the cold, starry night

- most friendly encounter: meeting Jim and Lois at the Living Room bar

Best place to be in the North Atlantic: Viking Sun (you saw that coming, right?).

Edited by OceanPatter
  • Like 2

A nice relaxing sea day with the calmest seas (other than fjord cruising) we have seen in days.  Actually had a bit of sun before the fog bank rolled back in.  The good news with heavy fog is the seas usually remain calm.  Good food, good book, and tomorrow starts Canada.  Thanks for the kind words OP.  We have really enjoyed time with you and Jack too.  Will miss you after Montreal.  But wait, it's not too late to tell Viking you want to stay on.  I hear it is nice and warm in NYC today.😎

6 hours ago, haydn12 said:

Jim, It was a little chilly here in Phoenix with quite a bit of rain on the north side of the city.  Had .45 inches down here in Chandler.  It was 74 degrees when I returned home at 8:00 pm.  Nice break from the hot weather!

Jim O.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update.  Finally into the gorgeous PHX Fall/Winter/Spring weather?  110 when we left so the cold and rainy was a welcome break at first but now we are ready for some sun and warmer weather.  41F right now but the sun is peeking out.  😎

3 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

Panomax is back with the most gorgeous sunrise.  Back it up if you missed it.  Lucky passengers!

I've saved a link to this, but every time I pull it up, it goes to the day I originally saved the link.  Is there a better way to pull up the camera to always go to the current time?

16 minutes ago, NY Nick said:

I've saved a link to this, but every time I pull it up, it goes to the day I originally saved the link.  Is there a better way to pull up the camera to always go to the current time?

Same happens to me with the Sun panomax.  However when i book marked the Jupiter one, it goes to current date each time.  Cant figure out what i did differently.

43 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Same happens to me with the Sun panomax.  However when i book marked the Jupiter one, it goes to current date each time.  Cant figure out what i did differently.

You need to save the generic link in your bookmarks.  That is:

https://viking.panomax.com/sun