Bring life vest for infant?

leongcpa

Hi,

We just booked our first cruise with NCL with our baby boy (1 year old by time of sailing), and I estimate he'll be 20-25 pounds by then. Will NCL provide an infant life vest, or should we buy and bring our own?

Thanks!

NCL will provide an infant life vest - You may bring your own and if the safety specs match NCL

safety specs use it.

NCL is required to have a life vest for everyone on board - no ifs ands or otherwise.

Your life vests will be found in your cabin - in your case make sure an infant one is there !

If you are about the ship and can't get back to your cabin to get the vests go to your

muster station and vests will be provided INCLUDING the infant vest.

FYI - during the muster drill ASK the NCL crew if an infant vest is available at that location

and if not to make sure one is !

• Like 1

If you're asking about for the onboard pools - swim diapers aren't allowed in the pools. Everyone must be potty trained to go in the pools. They do have some life vests for use on board, but they're toddler and up sized (see potty trained) and the simple ones - not the ones with the flaps that turn you face up. 

2 hours ago, leongcpa said:

Hi,

We just booked our first cruise with NCL with our baby boy (1 year old by time of sailing), and I estimate he'll be 20-25 pounds by then. Will NCL provide an infant life vest, or should we buy and bring our own?

Thanks!

In an emergency, the ship will require you to use their life vest.

On newer ships, there are no life vests in your room. They are all at the muster stations. 

46 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

In an emergency, the ship will require you to use their life vest.

On newer ships, there are no life vests in your room. They are all at the muster stations. 

Interesting - so NO more dragging dangeling life vest straps down flights of stairs causing an insurance incident !

BirdTravels - Thanks for the update - presume this is on the JOY BLISS ENCORE - more ??? 

Its been a while since anyone was required to drag a vest to a muster drill. But I'll say this, if I had a baby, since I don't think anyone of us can certify that we have seen an infant vest in recent times, I'd be vary too,  so I'd get it in writing in advance for piece of mind. And having said that, I'd doubt in the event of an actual emergency that anyone would  be allowed back to the cabin to fetch one for a baby either if omne was brought on board for a perfect fit. So its a lot of Trust. 

SOLAS requires ships to have child sized PFD's equal to 10% of the total passenger capacity.  The ship will have infant sized PFD's, in the 0-30lb weight range, you just need to notify your cabin steward and they will get you one.  I've seen NCL have PFD's for even smaller kids (below the 20 lb range), which are more like a combination of life jacket and bag to totally enclose the child and keep body temp up.

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Interesting - so NO more dragging dangeling life vest straps down flights of stairs causing an insurance incident !

BirdTravels - Thanks for the update - presume this is on the JOY BLISS ENCORE - more ??? 

My take has always been that the passengers should bring the life jackets to muster, put them on, and then not be released until they have properly stored it with the straps wrapped up and buckled to take back to the cabins.  Just me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, leongcpa said:

Hi,

Thanks!

We have sailed NCL three time with babies/toddlers (9, 10, and 27 months old at time of sailing) and they have always brought an appropriately sized life jacket to our cabin the first day. On ships that don't keep them in cabins, they will have them available. They are also available near the life boats on ships that do keep them in cabins, because you aren't supposed to go back to your cabin before going to the muster station if you aren't already there. I've seen large storage containers labeled with the number of adult, child, and infant life vests contained inside.

Now if you want one for use in ports, that's a different question and yes you should bring your own for that.