Post-modern Jukebox schedule?

operakatz

58 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Could not find any info anywhere.  I just wrote to them (PMJ) to ask where I could get a schedule.  Will post here if and when they reply.

Got an extremely fast response from PMJ ...

You'll have to look or reach out to Holland America for that information.  We don't handle those details directly. 

And, I think we can all imagine what asking HAL will accomplish 🙄  I, for one, will not go there and wait until we are onboard to find out.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

on our last cruise Rotterdam 4-18 of August there were 2 PMJ shows. We liked it. I never heard about PMJ until someone posted infos on CC. We looked up some youtube videos and we didn't like it. But the life shows during our cruise were quite nice.

Just to give some context of our personal taste: On our cruise there were almost multiple shows at Lincoln Center Stage every day.  We didn't attend to one of them. On another cruise on Koningsdam this year we really liked Billboard on Bord.

regards

MBerry

2 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Hi,

on our last cruise Rotterdam 4-18 of August there were 2 PMJ shows. We liked it. I never heard about PMJ until someone posted infos on CC. We looked up some youtube videos and we didn't like it. But the life shows during our cruise were quite nice.

Just to give some context of our personal taste: On our cruise there were almost multiple shows at Lincoln Center Stage every day.  We didn't attend to one of them. On another cruise on Koningsdam this year we really liked Billboard on Bord.

regards

MBerry

On Eurodam last year, I went to Lincoln Center Stage numerous times (but I am a former opera singer and love live classical performance in general - I don't often enjoy the loudness of amplified venues). Never went to any mainstage shows other than the Planet Earth film w/live music, or Billboard or BB Kings (too loud for me). I have been a fan of PMJ for a few years now and would love to see them live.

We saw both their shows the week they were on our 14 day cruise, Rotterdam, sailed on the 4th of August.  We enjoyed them both very much. After one week on the ship they flew to be on the Nieuw Statendam that at the time was in Iceland. Certainly worth giving them a try!!!

Yes, passengers should at least watch a show to see if they like it or not without judging beforehand.  We enjoyed the second show much better than the first one on our Oosterdam cruise last April.  I was more familiar with the tunes in the second show, so that probably affected my experience.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, bigjohn42 said:

We saw both their shows the week they were on our 14 day cruise, Rotterdam, sailed on the 4th of August.  We enjoyed them both very much. After one week on the ship they flew to be on the Nieuw Statendam that at the time was in Iceland. Certainly worth giving them a try!!!

22 hours ago, hallpau said:

They came on board the Zuiderdam in Reykjavik (Voyage of the Vikings cruise).  They have already done one show and another is booked before we get to Boston.

From these comments I'm getting the impression that PMJ come and go like other guest performers, rather than being a resident company like the dance group. I just hope they show up on my cruise this winter. I'd love to see them in person!

On 8/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, operakatz said:

On Eurodam last year, I went to Lincoln Center Stage numerous times (but I am a former opera singer and love live classical performance in general - I don't often enjoy the loudness of amplified venues). Never went to any mainstage shows other than the Planet Earth film w/live music, or Billboard or BB Kings (too loud for me). I have been a fan of PMJ for a few years now and would love to see them live.

I hear ya! (And without amplification 😉)  One of the amazing things about going to the opera is hearing the voices with nothing in between the singer and the audience. Truly live, not live and blasted. No matter how good the sound system is (and HAL's isn't great) there's nothing like unplugged music. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I hear ya! (And without amplification 😉)  One of the amazing things about going to the opera is hearing the voices with nothing in between the singer and the audience. Truly live, not live and blasted. No matter how good the sound system is (and HAL's isn't great) there's nothing like unplugged music. 

I occasionally encounter people who are astounded to find out opera singers are not amplified. 

I can't afford a cruise right now.  BUT, I do have a couple of vacation days to use before the end of November.  Taking a quick trip to Las Vegas for a long weekend in October.  PMJ plays there regularly - I'm looking forward to seeing them.   One of the best cover bands I've heard.  I've got them on my iPod and hear them everyday on my way to work.  

Understand some people won't like them - just like some people couldn't stand the HAL Cats or don't like the BB King cover band.  But, if you find out they are on your ship before you embark, take a little time to watch some of their YouTube videos.  That way you'll know in advance if they are your "cup of tea" or to plan alternate entertainment options.