Edge 19-30th - Here's our review/ratings

Hi All

First want to thank the boards for all the helpful info before the cruise!

Our family had a wonderful time on the beautiful Edge.

Boarding: (4.0/5): Apparently the port in Rome does not let cars close to the ships. So our car service drop us off in a parking lot and we then had to take a bus over. It all ended up okay. Probably the only knock here is that we were not aware of this issue. Past that, once we got to the port everything went smoothly.

Rooms: (4.25/5) Beautiful room. The only issue was noise. We could hear movement pretty often above us which made it hard to fall asleep some nights.

Housekeeping: (5.0/5) Genuinely friendly, super attentive.  

MDR's: (4.25/5)  Loved the concept of 4 MDR's. It's definitely is nice to have the change of look/menu.  The staff again was GREAT in each location. The food was above average in all. Nothing stood out as over-the-top but certainly all above average.

Specialty:

Eden: (3.5/5) Just not our cup of tea, I guess.

Fine Cut: (3.5/5) First off read the reviews about it being loud - but it WAS loud. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but once you're there it is. The food was fine, but nothing you couldn't get in many restaurants in every major city.

Rooftop Grill: (4.5/5) 2nd biggest surprise for us. When the weather is right, this is a great place to eat. Unlike fine cut for  example that you can do anywhere, finding a nice place to sit outside and eat good food is a treat. Well done!

Le Petit Chef: (5.0/5.0) WOW, what fun! This was our #1 surprise as we almost skipped it. This was BY FAR OUR FAVORITE dinner on the Edge. It's done in 2 seatings so your experience all as a group - which is not something I seek out - but is SUPER FUN. We actually were sitting next to someone from Silicon Valley and they said people just don't realize how special this technology is. The room was like a party, we all had an absolute ball. The staff gives extra energy to the room. The food would not necessarily be what I would pick, but we all LOVED IT because of course these little chefs made it for us!! There was very little signage for this, in fact we had to ask someone where this dinner was. The reason we went was because another couple at the pool said it was the best dinner of theirs. Here's the biggest compliment, on our last night we all decided to go back a 2nd time (we tried some items from the alternative menu) and if anything enjoyed it even more because we all saw little bits of the amazing animations that we didn't pick up the first time. Plus we got to see 2 different chefs win the night which was super fun. BIG CONGRATS TO CELEBRITY for giving us a night(s) we will remember.

Entertainment: (4.5/5) The shows were a little hit and miss, but overall kept us entertained. Probably the biggest issue was early on they had a group called Barricade Boys and they were great, so it was hard to keep that level up - but overall good.

Ports: (4.5/5) Beautiful locations. I will say that we hired private cars/tours on our own and were very happy with all of them. I'm not sure how it would be if we went through Celebrity or just fended for ourselves. So I guess the take-a-way is to look for local companies with very good reviews.

Drinks: (4.0/5) We are not huge drinkers (1-2 a day) so we did not do a drink package. The prices were fine. The only knock is that different locations within the ship did not make the same drink the same way which seem like an easy fix.

Everything else was really well done. The ship is absolutely beautiful. Each staff member is nicer than the next. You couldn't go 20 feet without hearing some wonderful live music. I cannot fathom how someone could give this ship anything but a lovely review.

Thank you Celebrity, we look forward to many more family cruises making wonderful memories.

• Like 6

Thank you for your review! That was odd about the port as we’ve often used a car service and been dropped right at the ship. I think I’ve read somewhere that only certain companies have the licence to do this? 

We too loved the Edge and funnily enough rated Rooftop Grill more than Fine Cut. However we loved Eden and went there twice on our B2B’s in July.

Wendy

Edited by wendyam76

Glad you loved Edge! We do too.

Loved that you saw some imperfections but that didnt stop you from giving it a overall positive review. No ship is perfect. You can find fault with any cruise line - but certainly Edge is trying hard to give us  a good time and succeeding the great majority of the time

We love the whole Rooftop area and even catching a movie at least once a cruise.

We are all fans of LPC too! We've seen it 3x! So unique, so clever - the best dining experience we've had on any cruise line.

Thanks for the review! It sounds like a great cruise.

Glad you enjoyed LPC - it is fun to do - we did it again with friends on a later cruise and had fun watching their delight at seeing it for the first time. We like the original version on other ships a bit better and prefer the menu (lobster, bouillabaisse, filet mignon and hot fudge sundae), but still enjoyed our Edge LPC dinners.

We've only done lunch at RTG and really enjoyed it. We have a reservation for the Apex on a night we will be in port late to help decrease the potential wind issue. Good to hear that you had a great time there.

What cabin were you in? I just wondered about the noise issue. If you have time to review the cabin it would be great so others can avoid a noisy cabin. 🙂

If you do have time, the Edge cabin info thread is below - the instructions are in the 1st post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/

8 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

Someone told you a lie about cars/vans not getting close to ships in Civitavecchia, we’ve always been dropped at the ship. Sounds like whoever you used didn’t have s port licence. 😳sorry 

We have only booked drivers that are licensed to drive up to the ship. We looked at some less expensive options, but would have had to take the shuttle to the ship - it's worth the extra money to be delivered to the ship directly, IMO.

Thank you for the review.  I am considering a mother/daughter cruise on Edge in March 2020.  Am also wondering about your cabin and location.  Was your room an IV?  I am looking at an Aqua class category but I'm wondering if they are all IV rooms?  I'd like to avoid an IV category but don't know enough about Edge class to be able to tell from the deck plans.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you for the review.  I am considering a mother/daughter cruise on Edge in March 2020.  Am also wondering about your cabin and location.  Was your room an IV?  I am looking at an Aqua class category but I'm wondering if they are all IV rooms?  I'd like to avoid an IV category but don't know enough about Edge class to be able to tell from the deck plans.

Thank you!

All Aqua Class are IV rooms - and we love them. Non IV staterooms would be sunset verandas and suites. There are also a few porthole balconies which we also enjoyed - the top half is open.

Wendy

EFA75EAC-7271-4A34-9579-0228A3FFF6B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We have only booked drivers that are licensed to drive up to the ship. We looked at some less expensive options, but would have had to take the shuttle to the ship - it's worth the extra money to be delivered to the ship directly, IMO.

I know, I was replying to the OP 😀

1 hour ago, DebbieMacG said:

I know, I was replying to the OP 😀

Sorry, I was just expanding the answer a bit to include that they should check whether their drivers are licensed to go into the port before they book. I realize now that it sounded like I was answering you and should have quoted them. 🙂

Hi

Our cabin was on the 12th deck - I realized after that there is no 13th deck! So we were right below OceanView  (14th deck) which explained the noise!

As for the car service, there were a few cars let in - you're probably correct they must have had a special license. The great majority were being bused in though. 

As for the restaurants Rooftop and Le Petit Chef fans out there - I concur - true highlights!

and finally yes, no ship is perfect and we can nitpick, but it's the effort the counts and I never felt between the all the staff, entertainment and cool stuff like LPC Celebrity was never trying to do anything but show us all a great time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStewartFamilyGroup said:

Our cabin was on the 12th deck - I realized after that there is no 13th deck! So we were right below OceanView  (14th deck) which explained the noise!

Yes, that would explain the noise. Some locations are better than others on deck 12. I had one on 12 for a couple of nights and lucked out as it was a spot with little noise above, but some have had some issues (under pool and Oceanview Cafe). At least you weren't under "unlucky" deck 13! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Our family had never heard of Le Petit Chef. Someone said it was "a cartoon" on your table, so most of us thought it was for kids. Well, we went and had a ball! Our waiter explained the technology and that the animation is so complex it takes 24 hours to create every 5 seconds. We LOVED it. And specifically went to see both show versions on Reflection. It was our favorite and a big reason we came back for another Celebrity cruise. Hope there's more to come!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Sorry, I was just expanding the answer a bit to include that they should check whether their drivers are licensed to go into the port before they book. I realize now that it sounded like I was answering you and should have quoted them. 🙂

No worries, I did the same thing 😀sorry!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:21 PM, TheStewartFamilyGroup said:

Le Petit Chef: (5.0/5.0) WOW, what fun! This was our #1 surprise as we almost skipped it. This was BY FAR OUR FAVORITE dinner on the Edge. It's done in 2 seatings so your experience all as a group - which is not something I seek out - but is SUPER FUN. We actually were sitting next to someone from Silicon Valley and they said people just don't realize how special this technology is. The room was like a party, we all had an absolute ball. The staff gives extra energy to the room. The food would not necessarily be what I would pick, but we all LOVED IT because of course these little chefs made it for us!! There was very little signage for this, in fact we had to ask someone where this dinner was. The reason we went was because another couple at the pool said it was the best dinner of theirs. Here's the biggest compliment, on our last night we all decided to go back a 2nd time (we tried some items from the alternative menu) and if anything enjoyed it even more because we all saw little bits of the amazing animations that we didn't pick up the first time. Plus we got to see 2 different chefs win the night which was super fun. BIG CONGRATS TO CELEBRITY for giving us a night(s) we will remember

Same! Great!