9/1 Breakaway Terminating in New Orleans

Heronymous

50 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

A great move on your part. Cruise line insurance is what is called "secondary insurance". That means that you have to file claims with your credit card and homeowners insurance before they will pay. That is why it seems so cheap compared to outside coverage. 

Respectfully, I don’t believe that is entirely accurate.  Trip insurance will pay for what the cruise line does not reimburse.  If the cruise line gives you a 75% refund, then the insurance will only pay 25%.  

• Thanks 1

This is one thing that I have a problem with:

How can you go on a cruise during hurricane season and only bring enough perscription drugs for the length of the cruise?  

I don't take a lot of perscription drugs, but DH does and I am "in charge" of bringing them.  I always bring a few days more and if it was somewhere out of the country or somewhere during hurricane season I would certainly bring at least a weeks' more.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

A great move on your part. Cruise line insurance is what is called "secondary insurance". That means that you have to file claims with your credit card and homeowners insurance before they will pay. That is why it seems so cheap compared to outside coverage. 

We don't get our travel insurance from the cruise lines, but this sounds very weird to me. What would homeowners' insurance have to do with coverage for travel delays, trip cancellation, etc.?  My pretty standard H/O policy with a major national insurer certainly doesn't cover anything remotely like that.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tinyturtle22 said:

Just my “opinion” but the statement

We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities”  

Says to me that NCL is no longer calling the shots. This isn’t a broken down ship. This is now an evacuation. 

Exactly!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We don't get our travel insurance from the cruise lines, but this sounds very weird to me. What would homeowners' insurance have to do with coverage for travel delays, trip cancellation, etc.?  My pretty standard H/O policy with a major national insurer certainly doesn't cover anything remotely like that.   

Will your insurance pay for any part of your expenses, since the cruise was cancelled?

20 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Will your insurance pay for any part of your expenses, since the cruise was cancelled?

Typically for a cancellation insurance will cover a lot of expenses.  For a delayed sailing that you chose to cancel on, it may not.  

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Typically for a cancellation insurance will cover a lot of expenses.  For a delayed sailing that you chose to cancel on, it may not.  

So for the September first cruise, since it was cancelled, insurance should pay for a lot of their expenses...that is good to know.

Well the whole picture is better than when Katrina hit New Orleans tearing out the whole port for. Year or so. Drowning most of the cars anywhere near New Orleans.  No ships brought people back there.  Galveston was a nightmare not too many years ago when a hurricane hit. The port wasn’t as bad but every car was flooded.  This is just two places i am aware of . So that being said i am just wondering how it is people still get on a cruise ship in peak hurricane season and expect perfection.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I worked for a major insurer for years and homeowners would only cover any losses to personal items under the contents coverage, minus your deductible. Lost luggage and contents within it would be covered.

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

So for the September first cruise, since it was cancelled, insurance should pay for a lot of their expenses...that is good to know.

Depends on the insurance policy.  Coverage for trip cancellation under my policy begins when you purchase the policy until you begin your trip.  Once you leave home it becomes a matter of a trip interruption which is a whole different type of claim.  I honestly can't even tell reading my policy if it would be a covered reason for trip insurance but it's absurd to think that it wouldn't. 

Surprised the Sun isn’t terminating in Tampa.   Much closer to Port Canaveral than New Orleans. Breakaway couldn’t clear the Sunshine Skyway bridge, but no issue for the Sun.

Edited by coaster

I can't tell you for sure unfortunately.  I just know we had it for an good 3 hours at least after we sailed off in NOLA.  When we came back in at about 2am I noticed lights and structures along the waterway and had cell service at that point.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Well the whole picture is better than when Katrina hit New Orleans tearing out the whole port for. Year or so. Drowning most of the cars anywhere near New Orleans.  No ships brought people back there.  Galveston was a nightmare not too many years ago when a hurricane hit. The port wasn’t as bad but every car was flooded.  This is just two places i am aware of . So that being said i am just wondering how it is people still get on a cruise ship in peak hurricane season and expect perfection.

how it is people still get on a cruise ship in peak hurricane season and expect perfection. can't say the word on here but dumb dumb dumb

22 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Respectfully, I don’t believe that is entirely accurate.  Trip insurance will pay for what the cruise line does not reimburse.  If the cruise line gives you a 75% refund, then the insurance will only pay 25%.  

Are you talking about cruise line insurance or refunds given under the normal terms of the cruise agreement?

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, but, I believe that that is part of the terms of cruise insurance policy as some homeowners policies will cover damage to luggage, lost luggage and some other hazards of travel.

I’m just off the Breakaway.  NCL has done the following:

1.  provided free airport transfers for all guests 

2. Provided chartered flights for those who needed to get back to Miami

3. Provided phones and computers so you could reschedule your own transportation 

Edited by Shoppie124
Auto correct
  • Like 1