Alaska on Star or Royal or Norway

Scubadoc

We are currently booked next July on an Alaska cruise on Royal. We have B735 which is an Aft suite. I am a little concerned about all the posts about soot on the Royal Aft balconies. We had an Aft on Crown this year and enjoyed it very much. But don't like soot!

i just saw that Star has a 10 night out of San Francisco for about the same price as the 7 night on Royal. Would u change if u were me?  It looks like Star is identical to Crown and we could get the same Aft suite we like. But is there a downside to Star versus Royal?

One other option wud be to shift to a Norway cruise about the same time. For those who have done Norway and Alaska - which do u prefer?  Thanx!

The 10 night out of San Francisco doesn't get up to Anchorage, National Glacier Park and Denali, which I think are a real Alaska must see.  That is one reason for the less expensive price.  I would stick with the Royal and if concerned switch cabins.

Ship - I think that the Star is a better choice for Alaska. A few advantages, more viewing areas, wrap around promenade, Skywalker's, Explorer's Lounge, indoor pool with conservatory above. The May 3rd, 13th or August 31st cruises are scheduled to stop at the traditional voyage of the glaciers ports of Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and also Victoria. The other cruises throughout the summer  make all the same stops except you skip Glacier Bay and add Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier. The Star also has the extra sea days. While the Royal is a nice ship, I think you will enjoy the Star. The advantages of the Royal are a super large and quality buffet plus a larger Piazza area. But, the larger Piazza area is also a negative since it has to be used for many of the ship's activities. There is no wrap around promenade on the Royal. And yes, I have heard that aft balconies do get some soot. 

We have sailed on the Star for 95 days and the Royal for 54 days.

• Like 2

One other option wud be to shift to a Norway cruise about the same time. For those who have done Norway and Alaska - which do u prefer?  Thanx!

We sailed the 2 week Norway Fjords & North Cape RT Southampton back in June 2016 on the Emerald. It was a great cruise. Very interesting ports with three above the Arctic Circle. Mostly daylight all the time. I would place this cruise on to do list, but would not select Alaska over Norway or visa versa. They are quite different. Regarding Alaska I think a better way to see it is to book a cruise tour with both land and sea.

If you are in the US - I would book Norway. It is amazing. I love both Alaska and Norway but would say go to Norway now as they are cracking down on ships access to some of the fjords.

I have been to Alaska a dozen times or so and Norway once but absolutely love Norway.

Alaska is easy to do with last minute prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

If you are in the US - I would book Norway. It is amazing. I love both Alaska and Norway but would say go to Norway now as they are cracking down on ships access to some of the fjords.

I have been to Alaska a dozen times or so and Norway once but absolutely love Norway.

Alaska is easy to do with last minute prices.

I agree with Coral.  We did Alaska 3 times, enjoying each of those cruises immensely, before we did the 14 day Land of the Midnight Sun Norway cruise this past June.  It was amazing but be aware that it is much more expensive than an Alaska cruise.  Do heed Coral's warning about Norway's new restrictions on cruise ships in the fjords and go sooner rather than later.  The most striking scenery on our cruise were the approaches up the fjords to Flam and Gerainger.  Our cruise was over the summer solstice and we had 4 days and nights above the Arctic Circle when the sun never set which is probably something we will never experience again.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I agree with Coral.  We did Alaska 3 times, enjoying each of those cruises immensely, before we did the 14 day Land of the Midnight Sun Norway cruise this past June.  It was amazing but be aware that it is much more expensive than an Alaska cruise.  Do heed Coral's warning about Norway's new restrictions on cruise ships in the fjords and go sooner rather than later.  The most striking scenery on our cruise were the approaches up the fjords to Flam and Gerainger.  Our cruise was over the summer solstice and we had 4 days and nights above the Arctic Circle when the sun never set which is probably something we will never experience again.

Let me just add that many people who have only cruised the Caribbean think Alaska is expensive. Norway is even more expensive. Most days in port I spent over $200 a day pp on excursions. I also booked several private excursions to save money. Though it was so worth it! We did a very similar cruise as capriccio (I went a year earlier) with several days above the Arctic Circle and it was something I can only hope to do again.

We were on Star Princess C749 on Alaska cruise.  Was never aware of soot. What we liked most was being able to get away from the crowded areas on ship and see the same sites on our balcony, enjoying a few drinks. There are people on cruises who are not aware of personal space and during the Alaska cruise there were folks who would wedge between your chair and the window you were looking out of. the weather can and does change often so you could be inside while passing through Glacier Bay.  The balcony on the aft cabins will provide some protection

36 minutes ago, doverboy said:

We were on Star Princess C749 on Alaska cruise.  Was never aware of soot. What we liked most was being able to get away from the crowded areas on ship and see the same sites on our balcony, enjoying a few drinks. There are people on cruises who are not aware of personal space and during the Alaska cruise there were folks who would wedge between your chair and the window you were looking out of. the weather can and does change often so you could be inside while passing through Glacier Bay.  The balcony on the aft cabins will provide some protection

I have never heard of a soot problem (aft) with Grand Class ships. I have had multiple cabins aft on multiple Grand class ships on several levels.

We have done both Alaska and Norway/Iceland.  Loved the Norway/Iceland experience (Iceland was honestly my favorite - amazing geological views and wild country) and happy to have gone.  However, Alaska remains our favorite cruise area.  Might be because it's both spectacular and easier access for us, but am very glad we've had both.  If Norway is considering any restrictions, might consider prioritizing that if costs permit - it IS an expensive cruise with all the travel and excursion add-ons.  Depends what you are looking for though - e.g. if Glacier viewing is a priority, we only saw hanging glaciers on high mountain peaks vs tidewater glaciers in Alaska.

8 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

If Norway is considering any restrictions, might consider prioritizing that if costs permit - it IS an expensive cruise with all the travel and excursion add-ons.  Depends what you are looking for though - e.g. if Glacier viewing is a priority, we only saw hanging glaciers on high mountain peaks vs tidewater glaciers in Alaska.

Norway isn't considering, they have already made decisions and have set dates for enforcing. 

Edited by Coral

Scubadoc

If you are considering a cruise to Norway, I would like to suggest a review posted by Bimmer09 to begin on Sept. 9. It will be about  a Celebrity cruise leaving Southampton, UK  visiting several ports and fiords in Norway. He is on the cruise now.

The gentleman,Norris, has written CC reviews on Princess,Celebrity and Azarama cruises. He  does an excellent job recounting his travels accompanied by excellent photos.

I am sure that you  would get a very good idea of what a cruise to Norway involves by reading his review. Of course,although  his  cruise is on the Celebrity Shilouette, the geography and sites of Norway would be the same regardless of cruise line or ship.

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Scubadoc

If you are considering a cruise to Norway, I would like to suggest a review posted by Bimmer09 to begin on Sept. 9. It will be about  a Celebrity cruise leaving Southampton, UK  visiting several ports and fiords in Norway. He is on the cruise now.

The gentleman,Norris, has written CC reviews on Princess,Celebrity and Azarama cruises. He  does an excellent job recounting his travels accompanied by excellent photos.

I am sure that you  would get a very good idea of what a cruise to Norway involves by reading his review. Of course,although  his  cruise is on the Celebrity Shilouette, the geography and sites of Norway would be the same regardless of cruise line or ship.

There were also a few Princess reviews from this summer's sailings that are informative (and the first two have magnificent pictures!):

There are other reviews - just research 'Norway' on this forum.

14 minutes ago, Scubadoc said:

Thank u so much everyone!  Such great help. This will be a tough decision

Come back and let us know what you decide.  Wishing you a fantastic cruise.  You really can't go wrong with either itinerary! 

• Like 1