What's the status of the Roll Call finder tool?

@CC Help Jenn   I hope you had a great holiday weekend!  

Could you please let us know the status of the Roll Call finder tool?   Unless I've missed something (and apologies if I did), the notices that used to be posted on the right side of the CC pages about the Roll Call finder tool not working (and telling people to browse the Roll Call forums themselves) don't seem to be there any longer.  But it still doesn't seem as though the finder tool is working, resulting in many complaining posts scattered around CC when people can't "find" their Roll Call.   

And if it still isn't working, is it possible for the "Find your [name of ship] Roll Call" links to be hidden for now, because they are truly confusing many members who don't know what's going on and think there's no Roll Call for their cruise when none shows up from that link.

Thanks for any information!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

...  Unless I've missed something (and apologies if I did), the notices that used to be posted on the right side of the CC pages about the Roll Call finder tool not working (and telling people to browse the Roll Call forums themselves) don't seem to be there any longer...

... And if it still isn't working, is it possible for the "Find your [name of ship] Roll Call" links to be hidden for now, because they are truly confusing many members who don't know what's going on and think there's no Roll Call for their cruise when none shows up from that link...

If you click on Categories and then  Announcements, it is still listed there being lost in all the other Announcements. However, the latest Announcement Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team has been added to the Announcements area on the far right side of all Cruise Critic pages. This scooted the important notice you mention down and out of sight in that particular Announcements area that is over the Albums area. This is NOT good!

And AMEN! to the suggestion for having the "Find your [name of ship] Roll Call" links to be hidden for now on all the various places where it appears on Cruise Critic. You are soooo correct about the excessive amount of confusion caused over this issue!!!!

Especially for new members that never used the boards in the olden days BEFORE there was a Roll Call Finder tool. Or even older members that have forgotten how we always had to scan a ship's Roll Call forum looking for a thread with our sail date in the title. And members being reminded back then to post often on their Roll Call thread to keep it on the first page of their ship's Roll Call forum. That would make it easier for new Roll Call members to scroll down the thread titles in their ship's Roll Call forum to then find their sail date to then start posting on the Roll Call thread for their cruise.

Kat 🐱

Edited by TxCityKat
additional info
  • Like 1

I'll add a +1 to this. There was a user on the HAL board getting frustrated that after creating their roll call multiple times it was never in the tool, not realizing the tried and true way of finding them. 

It seems apparent that the tool will take time to fix. At this point, pull references to it and reintroduce it when it's ready.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Turtles06 said:

... the notices that used to be posted on the right side of the CC pages about the Roll Call finder tool not working (and telling people to browse the Roll Call forums themselves) don't seem to be there any longer... 

Yipppppeeee!

Jenn's Roll Call Tool - Under Construction in the Announcements box over the Albums box on the right side of the Cruise Critic board pages is back!

Kat 🐱

Edited by TxCityKat
typo

2 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

Jenn's Roll Call Tool - Under Construction in the Announcements box over the Albums box on the right side of the Cruise Critic board pages is back!

Unfortunately, as we’ve seen, many if not most people don’t even notice those announcement boxes any longer. What they DO see are all those “find your [ship] Roll Call” links that they dutifully click on only to NOT find their ship’s Roll Call.  Then they get frustrated and annoyed and wonder where their Roll Call has gone or if there even is one or what they’ve done wrong. They post about this here, or in the cruise line forums, or in the Roll Call if they eventually find it. 

Imho, Roll Calls are one of the most important and useful parts of Cruise Critic. This problem is undermining their usefulness and popularity, it is making many members frustrated with CC, and it is clearly driving more people to that other social media site to form their own Roll Calls there.  It’s been two months now since the “under construction” announcement was posted.  Clearly, whatever the problem is, there’s no quick fix.  At this point, I think it would be helpful to just accept that, and get rid of the “find your Roll Call” links. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, TxCityKat said:

Yipppppeeee!

Kat 🐱

I think a banner announcement (in red) at the top of the page would be more noticeable.

Edited by Shmoo here

Came here to find out why our roll call (NCL Sun - May 21, 2020) now appears but there are 0 of us sailing.  We have a very active roll call but even the latest post isn't visible.

I agree, remove the links until they work.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LEtue said:

Came here to find out why our roll call (NCL Sun - May 21, 2020) now appears but there are 0 of us sailing.  We have a very active roll call but even the latest post isn't visible.

I agree, remove the links until they work.....

It is in fact visible where it should be --- on your Roll Call in the Sun Roll Call forum.  But as you've now realized, the Roll Call finder tool isn't working (and hasn't been working for months).  Thank you for comment supporting removal of the finder links, which don't work and are thus confusing many people.

Enjoy your cruise!

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:50 AM, TxCityKat said:

And now Jenn's Roll Call Tool - Under Construction that WAS in Announcements is no longer there. ☹️ 

Her Roll Call Tool - Under Construction only appears as a pinned thread on the first page of this Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum.

Kat 🐱

And now the pinned thread is gone from this forum too. It was unpinned and hidden September 27, 2019 from member's view.

Edited by Host Kat
additional info

No extra weight here regarding Cruise Critic. Only extra weight I have is what is on my short, fat, old lady body.

From the Guidelines:

... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com

Also from the Guidelines:

... You should not believe that our hosts have any additional insight or information simply because they have a "Host" prefix to their name. Cruise Critic Community Hosts are not representatives nor employees of Cruise Critic. The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com

And even more from the Guidelines:

... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums.  Your post will be removed and you may receive a Guideline Reminder.  However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com.

Any griping or grumbling about Cruise Critic management is not allowed on the boards. Any suggestions or good/bad criticism should be in an e-mail to the Community Manager as requested above.

All I can do is try to gently guide members to their keyboards so they can compose and then send an email to LauraS.

• Like 1