11:00 flight post Magic cruise Miami??

kimandtim

New to Carnival and not completely confident that rep I spoke to was correct so...am I safe to book a 11:00 flight post cruise  next July on Magic if I do self disembark? I have TSA PreCheck and probably wouldn’t consider it except I can book with points and get a great deal on tickets right now.

10 minutes ago, Negril60 said:

We originally had a 1:15 flight. It was moved to 11:15. We will be returning on Sept 14th off the Conquest. I will let you know how it works out. We have Global Entry/ TSA .

Haven't seen GE open on any Carnival debarkation.  

Can you make it, probably but no one's report of how they made it easy applies to your cruise.  Your cruise insurance will not cover you for a missed flight for selecting a flight before the recommendation times.  The airlines know what times are recommended and intentionally price flights cheaper before that so they can soak up change fees.

It’s Miami as is flight. Carnival rep I spoke with said it would be fine but honestly she seemed super confused and couldn’t find what time ship docked on her end/ I told her from my itinerary. I’ve always done self walk off with NCL and been off ship in a matter of minutes. Next bookable flight isn’t until 3:35.

Although there is always the chance of a delay, every time I have cruised out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale I've arrived at the airport very early.  I always carry my bags off the ship myself.  We have pre-check and travel with carry-on bags only, so nothing to check at the airport.  I would have no issue with booking that flight.  We've always scheduled late flights to be on the safe side, and have been stuck waiting at the airport for four to six hours.  Never again.

With Carnival, you can check with guest services near the end of your cruise and find out where you can wait for the people who have early flights.  When I cruised on the Magic in June, early flight passengers were able to exit the ship before Faster the to Fun passengers. I would do that and also use Uber or a taxi, not the ship's transportation.  When using the ship's transportation, they like to fill up the entire bus before heading towards the airport and that could take up to an hour.

You'll get all sorts of answers to this question.  Many people have been able to make early flights, but that ability is entirely dependent upon getting off the ship as early as possible.  A number of things could affect that adversely.  The ship could arrive in port later than scheduled for weather delays, or other reasons.  It could take longer than usual to "clear" the ship once it returns to port.   There could be an unforeseen backup at customs.  Traffic to MIA could back up easily in the morning hours.

Personally, I would much rather sit in the airport for a while (or book a post cruise excursion) than end my trip stressing out over making a flight on time.  And if you miss your flight, you may end up waiting a long time for an available seat.  

• Like 1

we just got back on 8/31 from magic had a great time nice ship, we flew southwest out of fll to bwi our flight was at 945am the only reason I felt ok doing this early of a flight is the port is only 10-15 minuets away in bad traffic. The ship docked before 6am

we carried our bags off. we did have faster to the fun, but even with out it your still off the ship super early. we were at the airport by 815 and the airport wasn't that busy yet we waited around for about 35 min. (we usually do a 10-11 am flight but this was there and cheep So it worked out for us >I think you will be fine sorry if your reading this 2 late have a great time!!!

1 hour ago, ChipFire said:

we just got back on 8/31 from magic had a great time nice ship, we flew southwest out of fll to bwi our flight was at 945am the only reason I felt ok doing this early of a flight is the port is only 10-15 minuets away in bad traffic. The ship docked before 6am

we carried our bags off. we did have faster to the fun, but even with out it your still off the ship super early. we were at the airport by 815 and the airport wasn't that busy yet we waited around for about 35 min. (we usually do a 10-11 am flight but this was there and cheep So it worked out for us >I think you will be fine sorry if your reading this 2 late have a great time!!!

This was out of Fort Lauderdale not Miami so no comparison. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Haven't seen GE open on any Carnival debarkation.  

TSA recheck applied to the Airport . We had the 11:15 flight and I was worried. Our flight was 9/14/19. Our ship was cleared and we did the carry of luggage which was a first for us. We walked off the ship at 7:00 and were in the airport and checked in by 7:40. The airport (Miami) was empty. I will try my best to carry luggage off from now on. I don't know if its normal to be cleared this early. We are flying out of Vancouver next May and I got 1:15 flights. I don't like worrying  about the ship being cleared.

On a normal day you'll be fine but no one can possibly predict random circumstances (mechanical issues, problem with a passenger, etc) that could delay your debarkation. I would look into the airlines policies for if you do arrive late and miss your flight. Some airlines are a lot more forgiving then others, if you have a lot of points I am assuming you have a higher status and maybe that will help to. Personally I'd figure out worst case scenario and see if I could live with that on the slim chance you have an issue.  

There's not single person on these boards that can tell the future to be able to tell you if you can make that flight or not.  Also, you can have a hundred people comment that they made a flight at that time, but not one single one of those experiences have any bearing on what yours will be.  I think if you have to ask the question, it's because it's iffy and that should be a sign that you should book a later flight.  So much can happen on the day of disembarkation: delays getting to port, delays with the ship being cleared for disembarkation, traffic delays on the way to the airport, huge security lines at the airport (they don't always have the TSA Pre-check lines open, just as an FYI, so you may have to go through security with the masses) etc, etc. 

Personally, I never book a flight before the afternoon at the earliest.  I would much rather end my vacation by not being in a rush to get off the ship.  Instead, we have a leisurely breakfast in the MDR, then find some place to sit while watching people stress about getting off asap.  Then when they make the "last call" for people to get off, that's when we go.  And then head to the airport without being in any kind of rush at all. 

2 hours ago, Negril60 said:

TSA recheck applied to the Airport . We had the 11:15 flight and I was worried. Our flight was 9/14/19. Our ship was cleared and we did the carry of luggage which was a first for us. We walked off the ship at 7:00 and were in the airport and checked in by 7:40. The airport (Miami) was empty. I will try my best to carry luggage off from now on. I don't know if its normal to be cleared this early. We are flying out of Vancouver next May and I got 1:15 flights. I don't like worrying  about the ship being cleared.

And?

35 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

There's not single person on these boards that can tell the future to be able to tell you if you can make that flight or not.  Also, you can have a hundred people comment that they made a flight at that time, but not one single one of those experiences have any bearing on what yours will be.  I think if you have to ask the question, it's because it's iffy and that should be a sign that you should book a later flight.  So much can happen on the day of disembarkation: delays getting to port, delays with the ship being cleared for disembarkation, traffic delays on the way to the airport, huge security lines at the airport (they don't always have the TSA Pre-check lines open, just as an FYI, so you may have to go through security with the masses) etc, etc. 

Personally, I never book a flight before the afternoon at the earliest.  I would much rather end my vacation by not being in a rush to get off the ship.  Instead, we have a leisurely breakfast in the MDR, then find some place to sit while watching people stress about getting off asap.  Then when they make the "last call" for people to get off, that's when we go.  And then head to the airport without being in any kind of rush at all. 

All the possibilities mentioned in this post can affect a flight booked for 3 PM as well. Should the OP then consider an evening flight or the following day just in case?

Bakersdozen departs the ship at last call, and by that time the MIA airport can be a zoo.  I have arrived at MIA when it is EMPTY at 8AM many times.  I've even changed an 11AM flight to one departing at 8:30AM.  Never experienced any stress making an early flight, but people are different and need to be comfortable with their choice.

I respect Bakersdozen decision to delay his/her debarkation, but the bakers assertion about stress doesn't apply to everyone else.  To thine own self be true.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

Book it, Dan-O

Just get up early and self-disembark.   Have a game plan for airport transportation (taxi/Lyft) and you'll have no problems.  

I hope this works ok.  Booked a 11:15 am out of Miami on May 9th to Boston. Returning Magic reposition cruise.