Touch Canal vs Caribbean and Americas

CharmCity2000

I'm narrowing down my options for Dec '21 during xmas and NYE.  I think I'm down to 2 options.  I'd love thoughts and options on them.

1. Reflection--Caribbean and Americas

2. Constellation --Touch Canal

My kids will be 10 and 13.  Both cruises are 12 nights.  Both have a similar itinerary.  However Connie has a day cruising the Panama Canal and an overnight in Cartagena.  I believe Connie will have completed dry dock by then as well.

What are the pluses/minus of my choices?  So far, I like the idea of cruising the canal but I'm not thrilled about an overnight in Cartagena.  I'm not sure how I'll keep the kids occupied there for 2 days.  If we do the Reflection, the differences are that we would do a day in Roatan and Costa Maya in lieu of cruising the canal and one of the days in Cartagena.  We are a diving family so finding something to do in Roatan and CM is easy. But then we would lose the day cruising the canal......

One thing that may help is to look at the shore excursions available.  We did a "Touch canal" cruise on...hmmm...maybe Infinity...and were able to take a shore excursion from the ship to transit several locks of the canal in a small boat. Going through a couple locks was fun.  Frankly, by the third lock, we were done...it's fairly repetitive.  But this might allow the family the experience you want without giving up on the better diving ports.

We really enjoyed Cartagena, but you might be right about the limited appeal for your kids.

Andrew

What's the actual timetable for the overnight in Cartagena on the Connie?   There's a fort there that might interest your kids...  (We didn't climb up there, so I am not speaking from personal experience.) 

As for the Canal, I guess the question is whether you'd prefer to do a full transit at another time, rather than a partial now.  I know some folks are of the "seen one lock, seen 'em all" opinion, but the Canal is so much more than that.  And it's not going anywhere.  

Enjoy whichever you choose!

I've done several Panama Canal transits, and a cruise quite similar to the "Caribbean and Americas". 

Andrew hits on the biggest point above.  As much as I've always enjoyed cruising through the canal, if I was selecting between these two, I'd go with the Reflection's itinerary, then book a canal shore excursion for the day in Colon.  Celebrity offers one on a relatively small boat (+/- 100 passengers).  You take a bus from Colon to Gamboa (about 45 minutes), where you board the boat, you then go through the Culebra cut, and the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks.  The boat then docks at the very tip of the Pacific end, and the bus returns you to Colon (a little over an hour).  In my opinion, the Culebra cut and the Pacific Side locks are the more interesting parts of the canal to see.  If you do the touch canal cruise, you will still have a full day in Colon, so you could still do an excursion like I described, but then you'd have the day on the ship going up to Lake Gatun and back, which would likely be of limited interest. 

As far as the overnight in Cartagena, I like Caratgena, but I wouldn't be that enthusiastic about an overnight.  The walled city and fort are interesting and fun.  I've also had a good time diving there, which most people don't do.

Considering you're all divers (or will be by then 🙂  )  the Reflection Itinerary would seem to be the winner. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

What's the actual timetable for the overnight in Cartagena on the Connie?   There's a fort there that might interest your kids...  (We didn't climb up there, so I am not speaking from personal experience.) 

As for the Canal, I guess the question is whether you'd prefer to do a full transit at another time, rather than a partial now.  I know some folks are of the "seen one lock, seen 'em all" opinion, but the Canal is so much more than that.  And it's not going anywhere.  

Enjoy whichever you choose!

the overnight is from 8am Dec 30 - 5pm Dec 31.  I've found a local tour that does a scavenger hunt through the city.  That will keep them occupied for a few hours.  I'll look into the fort.

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

I've done several Panama Canal transits, and a cruise quite similar to the "Caribbean and Americas". 

Andrew hits on the biggest point above.  As much as I've always enjoyed cruising through the canal, if I was selecting between these two, I'd go with the Reflection's itinerary, then book a canal shore excursion for the day in Colon.  Celebrity offers one on a relatively small boat (+/- 100 passengers).  You take a bus from Colon to Gamboa (about 45 minutes), where you board the boat, you then go through the Culebra cut, and the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks.  The boat then docks at the very tip of the Pacific end, and the bus returns you to Colon (a little over an hour).  In my opinion, the Culebra cut and the Pacific Side locks are the more interesting parts of the canal to see.  If you do the touch canal cruise, you will still have a full day in Colon, so you could still do an excursion like I described, but then you'd have the day on the ship going up to Lake Gatun and back, which would likely be of limited interest. 

As far as the overnight in Cartagena, I like Caratgena, but I wouldn't be that enthusiastic about an overnight.  The walled city and fort are interesting and fun.  I've also had a good time diving there, which most people don't do.

Considering you're all divers (or will be by then 🙂  )  the Reflection Itinerary would seem to be the winner. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris---thanks for the info about the shore excursion from Colon.  I don't know much about the area so I'm trying to figure out if cruising the Panama Canal will be interesting.  There are 4 additional sea days on the Touch Canal itinerary so everyone will have plenty of time to explore the ship.  The excursion you describe sounds pretty amazing.  Just enough to hold everyones interest without turning into boredom.

I don't think I would take the kids diving there.  Cayman is a stop on the Touch Canal (and the Carib. + Am.) so I would probably opt for that port.  Both ships also stop in Cozumel.  I'll discuss this with you more when we get closer, but from what I remember about Cozumel, it's a lot of drift diving.  I'm not sure it's the best for young new divers.

--Felicia

Felicia,

Cruising the canal is very interesting indeed.  However, I'd forgo the partial transit of the touch canal and just do the excursion from Colon.  The interesting part (to me) of cruising the canal is seeing the other ships up close and the canal infrastructure.  You get more of that from Lake Gatun to the Pacific, than on the Atlantic side.  

For Diving, Cozumel is usually great, but Mahahual (Costa Maya) is actually a favorite of mine (great operator there).  Grand Cayman is nice, but the tendering can be a thing.  Cartegena was surprisingly good diving, and the dive operator met us with the boat very close to the cruise port.  Roatan is almost always good. 

Feel free to send me an email using the link below for specifics. 

Harris

Edited by omeinv

We booked the Touch Canal cruise in a suite.  Just an FYI, we booked thru a TA and got 1250.00 OBC.  We plan to use that for excursions.   We did an NCL cruise last summer.  It stopped in Roatan and Costa Maya.  Costa Maya is a misnomer really, its a made up name for the PORT area.  We ended up going to a beach club for 40 bucks a day.  We spent the day there, it included free food and drinks.  The water was beautiful, and we were there for relaxing.  My wife did take her snorkel into the water and she said there was a lot to see.  They did have a lot of people walking on the beach, trying to sell us crap. 

In Roatan, we went to Daniel Johnson's sloth/ monkey farm.  It was fun and interesting.  We got to hold sloths and interact with monkeys.  We added on a snorkel trip after the sloth/monkey farm and they took us out.  I will say, that taking a taxi to the "town" of Costa Maya( the town has a different name) was interesting.  Its very poor.  Same with going to the Sloth farm in Roatan.  They provided transportation and you do drive thru some slums.  I think its good for kids to see that though, to see how other people live.   ( don't bash me for my opinions). 

We did not chose the itinerary on NCL, it was switched a few months before the cruise by the cruise line, I'm guessing due to hurricane damage.  We were supposed to go to St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau.   Personally, I don't need to go back to Roatan or Costa Maya.  We were traveling with friends and they went on a Mayan ruin tour in Costa Maya.  

Honestly, I hope on the touch canal cruise we can find some snorkeling excursions.  We're really into that and relaxing.  We have stressful jobs and would much rather relax than spend hours hiking or touring in the hot sun. 

Booked the Celebrity Reflection for a November 2020 Americas cruise.  Glad to hear about the partial transit from Gamboa in a small boat.  We don't see that on Celebrity's excursions yet, but it is over a year away, so will be patient.  We did the same tour on an MSC Divina cruise in 2014.  There is something to be said for going through the Pacific locks in a small boat (you can touch the side of the canal as you are being lowered. No fighting the crowds on deck.  Very good narration. Food was included. And to saw we were on the Caribbean/Atlantic, the Pacific, and back to the Caribbean/Atlantic on the same 8 hours or so is pretty cool!

On 9/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, DENIE said:

Booked the Celebrity Reflection for a November 2020 Americas cruise.  Glad to hear about the partial transit from Gamboa in a small boat.  We don't see that on Celebrity's excursions yet, but it is over a year away, so will be patient.  We did the same tour on an MSC Divina cruise in 2014.  There is something to be said for going through the Pacific locks in a small boat (you can touch the side of the canal as you are being lowered. No fighting the crowds on deck.  Very good narration. Food was included. And to saw we were on the Caribbean/Atlantic, the Pacific, and back to the Caribbean/Atlantic on the same 8 hours or so is pretty cool!

I think I'm pretty much settled on the Reflection itinerary.  I was browsing your Nov shore excursions and didn't see the small boat excursion either.  I hope they add it.  I've heard that the canal excursions should be booked through the ship and people are late returning a lot.

• Like 1

We did a full Panama Canal years ago on Infinity. I want to say 3 years ago we did a 14 night Reflection cruise that overnighted in Cartagena. Their is a small zoo like area just on shore. Friends did the tour to the Pacific from Colon, they liked it. I thought going through the Panama Canal was boring.

IMG_20171111_114006988.jpg

IMG_20171111_114051175_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20171111_113334300_HDR.jpg

4 hours ago, CharmCity2000 said:

I think I'm pretty much settled on the Reflection itinerary.  I was browsing your Nov shore excursions and didn't see the small boat excursion either.  I hope they add it.  I've heard that the canal excursions should be booked through the ship and people are late returning a lot.

CharmCity2000 - totally agree.  While I looked for private tours that offer something similar (I didn't find any of those either), I would be hestitant to book.  Everything in 2014 with MSC was on time (it was their excursion), but if ANYTHING goes wrong, it could be a long way back to the ship.  Trusting this option will show up at some point on the Celebrity Excursions. 

While it's not yet available on the Reflection cruise we've been talking about, here is the Excursion I was referring to.  The code "CO26" is the easiest way for the staff to find it if you call the Captain's Club by phone pre-trip.  Hopefully it will be added to your cruise's excursion selection. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Colón, Panama

Board a local ferry and venture into the Panama Canal to experience the unforgettable sensation of crossing between two oceans in one day. Cruise through the Culebra Cut, the biggest structural challenge of the canal. Feel the waters slowly rise and fall as your captain navigates the massive lock system. Spend your day inspired by one of the greatest engineering feats in history. CO26

ACTIVITY LEVEL

Mild

duration

8 hours

Activity Type

Advisements

Most tour departures complement the ship's meal service hours. A meal will be served during this excursion.

For guests who use collapsible wheelchairs or scooters. Guests must transfer from their wheelchair or scooter to board the motorcoach, usually 2 or 3 steps. Guests should be self-sufficient. If assistance is required, guests should travel with a companion.

Starting From

$169 USD

ADULT PRICE

$119 USD
CHILD PRICE

Excursion Highlights

Navigate through the incredible lock system of the Panama Canal by ferry.

Admire Panama's many manmade treasures, including the Bridge of the Americas.

Insider Tips

Important Notes

This tour includes a lunch buffet served onboard the ferry.

Guests receive a commemorative certificate for participating on the Panama Canal Transit.

The Panama Canal tour and its final duration is subject to change as per confirmation with the Panama Canal Authorities. In case needed, the tour can be operated in a different way by transiting only one of the sets of locks.

Please be advised that there may be a substantial delay at the pier while awaiting the required Panama Canal Pilots to arrive. Although the planned arrival time of the pilots is reconfirmed, their actual arrival time may vary and is beyond the control of Celebrity Cruises. Your understanding and patience is appreciated.

What To Bring

SeaPass card and photo identification

Camera

Sun protection

Cash/credit cards

Insect repellent

What To Wear

Walking shoes

Hat and sunglasses

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, omeinv said:

While it's not yet available on the Reflection cruise we've been talking about, here is the Excursion I was referring to.  The code "CO26" is the easiest way for the staff to find it if you call the Captain's Club by phone pre-trip.  Hopefully it will be added to your cruise's excursion selection. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Colón, Panama

Board a local ferry and venture into the Panama Canal to experience the unforgettable sensation of crossing between two oceans in one day. Cruise through the Culebra Cut, the biggest structural challenge of the canal. Feel the waters slowly rise and fall as your captain navigates the massive lock system. Spend your day inspired by one of the greatest engineering feats in history. CO26

ACTIVITY LEVEL

Mild

duration

8 hours

Activity Type

Advisements

Most tour departures complement the ship's meal service hours. A meal will be served during this excursion.

For guests who use collapsible wheelchairs or scooters. Guests must transfer from their wheelchair or scooter to board the motorcoach, usually 2 or 3 steps. Guests should be self-sufficient. If assistance is required, guests should travel with a companion.

Starting From

$169 USD

ADULT PRICE

$119 USD
CHILD PRICE

Excursion Highlights

Insider Tips

Important Notes

Guests receive a commemorative certificate for participating on the Panama Canal Transit.

The Panama Canal tour and its final duration is subject to change as per confirmation with the Panama Canal Authorities. In case needed, the tour can be operated in a different way by transiting only one of the sets of locks.

Please be advised that there may be a substantial delay at the pier while awaiting the required Panama Canal Pilots to arrive. Although the planned arrival time of the pilots is reconfirmed, their actual arrival time may vary and is beyond the control of Celebrity Cruises. Your understanding and patience is appreciated.

What To Bring

Camera

Sun protection

Cash/credit cards

Insect repellent

What To Wear

Walking shoes

Hat and sunglasses

Thank you for sharing the excursion code.  This looks like at great excursion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Thank you for sharing the excursion code.  This looks like at great excursion.

We did this excursion. It was a long day and hot in Jan 2019. I very much enjoyed it. We were about an hour late getting back to the boat. This smaller boats are at the mercy of the larger boats going thru the many locks. 

5 hours ago, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

Colón, Panama

ACTIVITY LEVEL

Mild

duration

8 hours

Activity Type

Advisements

Starting From

$169 USD

ADULT PRICE

$119 USD
CHILD PRICE

Excursion Highlights

Insider Tips

Important Notes

What To Bring

Camera

Sun protection

Cash/credit cards

Insect repellent

What To Wear

Walking shoes

Hat and sunglasses

Yep!  This is identical to the shore excursion we booked with MSC in 2014.  Would do it again, especially since we are traveling on this cruise with my sister-in-law, who has not done this before.  Thanks for sharing!