O Life Excursions

carlsbadguy

On my cruise I get 3 "free" O Life excursions per person. I have picked 2 but an having a hard time picking a 3rd except for some of the hop on off buses which would be cheaper to buy on my own as not worth $100.  If I do not choose a 3rd will I get $100 onboard credit per person or do I just lose the last tour and any credit?

38 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

having a hard time picking a 3rd except for some of the hop on off buses which would be cheaper to buy on my own as not worth $100.

How is it possible for anything to be cheaper than included?  Scratching my head.....

• Like 1

StanandJim - A hop  on off cost less than a $100 so IF one could get a $100 back for an unused tour and then spend part of that $100 on a cheaper option a passenger would be ahead of the game.  That is what the OP is asking  but since the answer is NO, then one can not do this.

I called and asked when I deleted one tour and was told I have to book three tours otherwise they will change the option to the shipboard credit. Since I picked 2- $199 tours already I will pick a third one, before picking any of the hop On off options..  

This is why when we have opted for the oLife tours -- we make sure that there are enough tours that we want to take!  When oLife started, the surcharge for "free" tours was far less than it is today.  But if I can't find enough tours that appear to satisfy us (in the price range we want), then we don't take oLife.

Mura

1 hour ago, carlsbadguy said:

I called and asked when I deleted one tour and was told I have to book three tours otherwise they will change the option to the shipboard credit

O Life option gives you a choice of 3 different options - Included excursions, Drinks package or OBC. You must choose one of these.

If you were to pick only 2 excursions and $100 OBC in place of the third excursion, you would be in essence combining 2 of the 3 options - 2/3 excursions and 1/3 OBC.

Obviously this is not the intent of O Life.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, StanandJim said:

How is it possible for anything to be cheaper than included?  Scratching my head.....

If you scratch too hard you may bleed.   May say included, but you pay for it in the O Life up charge.  No free lunch here.  Thought you of all people would know that.  I learn something new each day so no big deal.  

Very true.  If the fares for "cruise only" and "oLife" were the same, then you could say that the drink package as well as the included tours are "free".  When oLife started the fare differential was quite modest ... but that's no longer true.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, LHT28 said:

use it or lose it.

Thank you, LHT28. This quote makes sense to me, and it got me thinking. We live within 25 minutes of the P of M. When we do our next round trip Miami/Miami, it will be Cruise Only. I compared it with O life, and it makes economic sense. However, for our upcoming cruise, a TA originating in Rome, we want BC and O offers a good deal. We are not foolhardy enough to arrive on embarkation day, so we will pay the deviation fee. I learned something new today. I liked that!

Mary

30 minutes ago, warburg said:

Thank you, LHT28. This quote makes sense to me, and it got me thinking. We live within 25 minutes of the P of M. When we do our next round trip Miami/Miami, it will be Cruise Only. I compared it with O life, and it makes economic sense. However, for our upcoming cruise, a TA originating in Rome, we want BC and O offers a good deal. We are not foolhardy enough to arrive on embarkation day, so we will pay the deviation fee. I learned something new today. I liked that!

Mary

Agree.  Never fly in the same day.  Use miles and arrive a few days early. 

30 minutes ago, warburg said:

However, for our upcoming cruise, a TA originating in Rome, we want BC and O offers a good deal. We are not foolhardy enough to arrive on embarkation day, so we will pay the deviation fee. I learned something new today. I liked that!

Mary

I found  getting BC from O was more expensive  than DIY

The price  they charge plus the  air credit (you can get) plus  the deviation fee  added up to several hundred $$ more than booking my own

Maybe flights are cheaper from MIA  than Toronto

Be sure to do the math

Just saying

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I found  getting BC from O was more expensive  than DIY

The price  they charge plus the  air credit (you can get) plus  the deviation fee  added up to several hundred $$ more than booking my own

Maybe flights are cheaper from MIA  than Toronto

Be sure to do the math

Just saying

We use miles to get BC from Miami to just about anywhere so O Life works for us.  Everyone's travel is different.  What works for us may not be good for you.  Apples vs oranges.  

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

We use miles to get BC from Miami to just about anywhere so O Life works for us.  Everyone's travel is different.  What works for us may not be good for you.  Apples vs oranges.  

True  but as I said do the math to see what works for you

We do not have miles  so we have to deal with  cash

As mentioned many times here  O Life  has nothing to do with the airfare

I couldn't use the O Life Airfare as I was not returning home after the trip so I got an $800 pp airfare credit. Used miles for business class tickets both ways.  Had the choice of another $300 pp credit on the cruise or an O Life benefit. Chose the 3 tour excursions per person. Already picked 2 of excursions which O charges $199 per person for and will need to pick one more. I realize could get at least one of the excursions cheaper on my own than the $199 but I figure I should come out at least a little ahead as excursions in the 3 ports I am choosing would probably cost more than $100 per person. 

2 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

I couldn't use the O Life Airfare as I was not returning home after the trip so I got an $800 pp airfare credit.

O LIFE is  a separate  entity from the airfare

You can take the O Life perks  with or without the air

You can take the air with or without  the  O Life perks

or you can just take the cruise only fare  & do your own air  & tours/drinks etc...

just to add everyone  also gets the free internet  so it is not part of  the O Life deal  either

• Like 2

Ah so!  It never occurred to me they were talking about flights ... I guess it should have!

Thanks Paul.  (And Lyn ... I got your answer as I was writing to Paul but hadn't "sent" yet.)

Mura

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

O LIFE is  a separate  entity from the airfare

You can take the O Life perks  with or without the air

You can take the air with or without  the  O Life perks

or you can just take the cruise only fare  & do your own air  & tours/drinks etc...

just to add everyone  also gets the free internet  so it is not part of  the O Life deal  either

Just to add another wrinkle. You can also just use one leg of the Oceania air and get a 1/2 credit for it. 

• Like 1