maximum amount of luggage you can bring on your cruise

I  have been following a discussion on a different site. Someone asked how much luggage they can bring onto the ship. Many people replied that there is no limit. One person kept telling people there is a 90 kilogram maximum. Some one posted from a FAQ section, showing no maximum. The person who insisted that there is a maximum posted from a different FAQ that there is indeed a 90 K limit. 

So, for most people, this doesn't matter. 90 K is about 200 pounds. 

Once again, no consistency with the policies.

Doesn't appear to be a hard weight limit.  Just 'be reasonable' it seems.

I checked the FAQ and found this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-luggage-policy

How much luggage can I bring onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Each guest has the option to carry their luggage on board or check-in luggage prior to boarding. Luggage may include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. Here are some recommendations for packing only cruise essentials.

We recommend that guests personally carry any boarding documentation such as passports, visas, citizenship documents and family legal documents plus all medications. To minimize the potential for diversion or loss of medications, we advise that all medications remain in their original, labeled prescription containers.  It is also advisable to pack at least three days of extra medication in the event of an unexpected change in the itinerary of the voyage. It is also a good idea for guests to pack a small carry-on bag with a change of clothes, and bathing suit. That way they don't have to wait for their checked bags to arrive in their stateroom.

Luggage may be locked only with a TSA approved lock.

Any carry-on luggage must be able to fit through the x-ray screening machines. These machines vary in size from port to port, however generally they are similar to those found at airport security check points. Guests wishing to carry their luggage with them during boarding should note that their stateroom may not be immediately available to store their luggage.

3 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

On another note...my wife says all the time that she wants to bring a trunk. SMH

I once saw someone bring 2 trunks on the Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty....though I'm guessing those people drove to the port instead of flying.

52 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I take what I want - sometimes 3 bags, sometimes 4.  If I am not flying (which I normally am not) I take what I want so that I have everything I want and lots of choices for my clothes!

I always have to fly, but I also try to take enough to have choices for my clothes on the cruise. I always have two suitcases - one large and one medium.  People who want to take just a carry on size suitcase can do just that - each to his own. 

1 hour ago, rhuntington3 said:

Doesn't appear to be a hard weight limit.  Just 'be reasonable' it seems.

I checked the FAQ and found this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-luggage-policy

How much luggage can I bring onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Each guest has the option to carry their luggage on board or check-in luggage prior to boarding. Luggage may include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. Here are some recommendations for packing only cruise essentials.

We recommend that guests personally carry any boarding documentation such as passports, visas, citizenship documents and family legal documents plus all medications. To minimize the potential for diversion or loss of medications, we advise that all medications remain in their original, labeled prescription containers.  It is also advisable to pack at least three days of extra medication in the event of an unexpected change in the itinerary of the voyage. It is also a good idea for guests to pack a small carry-on bag with a change of clothes, and bathing suit. That way they don't have to wait for their checked bags to arrive in their stateroom.

Luggage may be locked only with a TSA approved lock.

Any carry-on luggage must be able to fit through the x-ray screening machines. These machines vary in size from port to port, however generally they are similar to those found at airport security check points. Guests wishing to carry their luggage with them during boarding should note that their stateroom may not be immediately available to store their luggage.

that is what I found .The person who quoted the 90 K limit found a policy on a Royal FAQ that stated a 90 kg limit 

I will have  a carry on in most cases. I pack no more then I will need, and pack multiple blouses for my slacks to get several changes. Regardless if I am packing for 1 week or much longer I pack for a week. I have taken the 25 ", so it depends on the climate I will be going to but generally pack most of my clothes in the 22" .

IMO the constraining factor is where are you gonna put the bags?????

If you must fly to the cruise the question is moot unless willing to pay unlimited baggage fees .. and if this is OK you must be in a suite with a lot of space .....

We live near a port so drive to some cruises and on these 'no limit' is possible

But if we bring 2 trunks where are we gonna put them????  Even in a suite, why take up the space???

OTOH almost every friend we know who cruises takes WAY more than we do.  We've done week long cruises with nothing but an airline carry on.

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, KansasK said:

I always have to fly, but I also try to take enough to have choices for my clothes on the cruise. I always have two suitcases - one large and one medium.  People who want to take just a carry on size suitcase can do just that - each to his own. 

I'm with you on this topic....The two of us bring 3 large wheeled bags and DH has a backpack and I carry a large travel purse.

I'm always amazed at those that are able to bring just a small carry on...I'm never going to be a member of that club.

• Like 2

Will typical MEDIUM 25 inch size luggage bag generally fit thru ship's/ports  X-ray machine screening at terminals ?  

Not the SMALL 20 inch carry on or the LARGE 30/31 inch bags .  

Edited by ssb

43 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

They found the 90kg rule on the UK site. I thought to check because kg is not used very often in the US.

https://help.royalcaribbean.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000844232-How-much-luggage-may-I-bring-on-board-

thanks, I suggested that to the person on the other site but he has not responded.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ssb said:

Will typical MEDIUM 25 inch size luggage bag generally fit thru ship's/ports  X-ray machine screening at terminals ?  

Not the SMALL 20 inch carry on or the LARGE 30/31 inch bags .  

I have never tried to put a 25 " though an airline or ship scanner which hold the same size for carry on luggage. If you ever go to Australia, they go even smaller then 22 ". Biker I never tried a 25 " so didn't think they fit, not that I would drag a 25 " on board. a back pack, 22" or smaller is all I prefer to bring on board. 

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

. Biker I never tried a 25 " so didn't think they fit, not that I would drag a 25 " on board.

The typical X-ray  machine used at ports has a tunnel opening of 24”x16” - most bags would fit through there. 

Some people will use a transatlantic to winter in the states then cruise back in the spring so they bring a lot of luggage.

Others may be taking advantage of the lower cost of clothes in the US.  The places I have visited overseas never seem to have the major brand outlet stores/malls that we have in the US.  Given the discounts places like Nortstrom's rack and other outlets have on name brand clothes I can see buying a couple of suitcases of clothes and shoes.  My daughter picked up a pair of  Christian Louboutin shoes that new were over 1K but at the Rack they were about 200 bucks.   

We always have to fly and I have pared it down so well now that I can do 11 days from a carry-on.  Includes 3 pairs of shoes and dresses for the dining room as well.  Our first cruise we took 5 bags between the 2 of us, never again! lol