Oasis-class ship to Australia , Imminent .

Hogbay

Sooner or later a Oasis Class ship will be based in Brisbane possibly even year round once the "Perfect Day" Island in the South Pacific will be opened, at the end the ship will mainly do sea days hence if they will get one or two ports in addition to the Island ready to handle it a Oasis Class ship will be sent down under

22 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Hope they do not destroy South Pacific with one of those so called " Great Day For A Triple Pay Artificial Cabana " 🤮

Can someone explain to me why there is such hatred of the new Coco Cay?

Yes, the cabanas are horribly overpriced, but if people are willing to pay that price, then I guess they're not actually overpriced at all.... supply and demand.  Same for the waterpark -- if people want to pay $80-$100 to wait in line for an hour to go down a waterslide, it doesn't affect me any.

As for the rest of the island, loungers and shade umbrellas are PLENTIFUL and FREE now -- you used to have to pay to get an umbrella, and loungers could be hard to find if you weren't off the ship first thing, and there was almost no shade availability unless you paid for an umbrella.  

There is also an extensive splash pad for young kids, plus a small children's waterpark available -- for no charge.  

The huge new pool with swim-up bar is also free, and also surrounded by plenty of chairs and shade umbrellas for free.  

In addition to the previously available "beach BBQ buffet" area, there is also an option to eat at the Snack Shack (one in the free area, and one in the waterpark area) with new items on the menu -- for free -- that weren't available before.  

Free loungers, free shade umbrellas, free splash pad, free kiddie waterpark, free pool with more free loungers/umbrellas, free buffet plus free Snack Shack food.... what exactly is so horrible about all of these changes???  

I don't typically spend money on a private island -- I eat the free food and have a soda package if I get thirsty, and I nap in a lounger in the shade and swim in the water.  I can do all of that more easily now at Coco Cay, with more loungers, more umbrellas, and more food options.  

So why all the hate???? 

• Like 3

It's interesting the blogger who wrote the piece used the word "Imminent" but it doesn't appear Royal Caribbean actually said that.

• "It's only a matter of time" as he urged the Australian cruise industry to develop some of the country’s major ports.
  • Mr Antalis highlighted that the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal is currently the only port that can handle giant cruise ships.

That's a far cry from imminent.  One port today.  That should make an interesting cruise to no where itinerary.  

• The downside though, is that Sydney and Auckland, two of the most popular destinations in Australia and New Zealand, remain problematic to handle giant ships.

The question becomes how long does it take for more ports to sell the concept of infrastructure expansion, get it approved, pass ecological, environmental and marine surveys then securing funding and finally actually build it.  That's assuming local communities support it (and pay for it).  For a lot of developed regions that is several years worth of work and until enough ports get it done there isn't enough critical mass to put together an Oasis class itinerary.  

Something tells me imminent may not have the been the best choice of words to put in Royal's mouth. 

It's more like ..."If you build it, it might come".

I see this as Royal trying to motivate ports to start thinking about it.  

42 minutes ago, mtu_huskies said:

Hate is a strong word.  But it is a made up destination.  Traveling is about experiencing new places, people and cultures.  That’s not CocoCay.

Not for everyone.  

Some folks just want to go to the tropics and party. 😎🍹

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

I wish an Oasis class would come to the UK 😢

They've called in before as they've started their Med seasons after being built/refits etc ... Southampton can't cope with them logistically speaking - from time to time it's crazy when Indy is in port!

I personally think RCCL have asked them to invest in infrastructure (the port that is!) and they're not too interested so RCCL have replied retrospectively!

3 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

They've called in before as they've started their Med seasons after being built/refits etc ... Southampton can't cope with them logistically speaking - from time to time it's crazy when Indy is in port!

I personally think RCCL have asked them to invest in infrastructure (the port that is!) and they're not too interested so RCCL have replied retrospectively!

Yeah I bet you’re right! I know they are upgrading the P&O terminal for the arrival of Iona - which I presume will be the biggest ship to come to Southampton, so I wonder if there would be any chance of them using that? Although I agree it would be horrendously crowded!!

• Like 1

I thought a lot of the ports around Australia and New Zealand required tendering.  I'm not aware that any of the Oasis class ships have ever tendered at a port.   This seems like it would really restrict the itineraries and would likely make it a no-go for any Oasis class ship in the region. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I thought a lot of the ports around Australia and New Zealand required tendering.  I'm not aware that any of the Oasis class ships have ever tendered at a port.   This seems like it would really restrict the itineraries and would likely make it a no-go for any Oasis class ship in the region. 

There’s a lot that have great ports Noumea,Tauranga,Picton,Dunedin,Hobart.

They would have to purpose build a ship with tenders.

2 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

Yeah I bet you’re right! I know they are upgrading the P&O terminal for the arrival of Iona - which I presume will be the biggest ship to come to Southampton, so I wonder if there would be any chance of them using that? Although I agree it would be horrendously crowded!!

P&O and RCCL are owned by different corporations I believe and they curretly use different terminals so I'm not so sure that they'd 'share' so to speak! It would make sense, but can't see it any time soon lol

I boarded Indy several years ago and the process was horrific, but a nunber of times since and it was fairly effortless so they improved in my opinion - that said, Oasis class is a whole different ball game and they needed to build an extra pier in St Maarten for them so the infrastructure is obviously on a different level.

Going back onto the geography of the thread as such, I've cruised Oz on a celebrity ship and as much as there wasn't too much fuss - a few tendered ports for instance - I'm not sure an Oasis class would cope too well! I've yet to do a Quantum class in that neck of the woods so that would be a decent indication if you ask me 

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

We did a 17 nighter around Oz & NZ and from what i remember the ports weren't exactly huge .. even Sydney and Auckland I think would struggle with an Oasis class .. the smaller ones even more so!

Oasis class makes money in North America by churning out the 7 day cruises.  In North America that is the sweet spot for a vacation or holiday in terms of getting time off work and coordinating a multi-generational family cruise.  

The alternating Eastern/Western Caribbean itinerary lends itself to the Oasis business model and return guests.   An increasing number of Oasis capable Caribbean ports is allowing greater diversity and options for the route planners. 

At the end of the day Royal will place it's ships where they can make the most money.   If Australia can expand 3 ports of call to be Oasis capable is that enough to support the Oasis business model?  Will it be a one and done experience if every week the itinerary is the same?  Do they need 6 or 7 Oasis capable ports before there is enough diversity to make it work?  Does Brisbane as a home port work in terms of reach to the ports that can be made Oasis capable more quickly?  While 7 nights is the quintessential North American cruise,  what is the sweet spot for Australian cruisers?

It's those kinds of details that will drive the decision.  

9 hours ago, mtu_huskies said:

Traveling is about experiencing new places, people and cultures.  That’s not CocoCay.

Thats what travel is to you, but 30,000 or so people a week seem to be very interested in the "fake destination".  I like variety in my travel and Coco Cay is just another flavor of pie to enjoy.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
spelling
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Does Brisbane as a home port work in terms of reach to the ports that can be made Oasis capable more quickly?  While 7 nights is the quintessential North American cruise,  what is the sweet spot for Australian cruisers?

From Brisbane there is no Oasis capable port north along the coast and there probably will never be. The only port that might justify it is Cairns and it is simply not possible there for reasons of geography.

Out to the islands of the South Pacific, the only big docking ports are the industrial ports at Port Vila and Noumea. I doubt that they are big enough for Oasis class ships, although they could probably be upgraded if there was an incentive to do so. Which is hard to see eventuating.

From Brisbane 7 nights gets you to New Caledonia and Vanuatu for two or three stops. The same from Sydney gets you two stops. Brisbane to Cairns and back is 7 nights. Sydney to Tasmania and back is 6 to 7 nights. From Brisbane or Sydney, Fiji or NZ are each 13-14 nights.

Sydney is the port that the cruise lines want. The state government there has shown no interest in providing more or better cruise port facilities. Suitable waterfront land having been sold off years ago by the state. The suggestion of using the naval base at Garden Island in Sydney Harbour has been rejected by the Federal government. There is some suggestion of using industrial facilities in Botany Bay, but of course that comes without harbour views and is in an inconvenient and unattractive location.

In short, outside of Brisbane, don't hold your breath waiting for Oasis suitable ports in Australia. NZ I'm not so sure about, as many of the industrial ports there can take some pretty large ships. Oasis class though?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In short, outside of Brisbane, don't hold your breath waiting for Oasis suitable ports in Australia. NZ I'm not so sure about, as many of the industrial ports there can take some pretty large ships. Oasis class though?

Thanks for the details.

It doesn't sound conducive for the imminent arrival of an Oasis class ship.  

@twangster do you think Royal will have a challenge with Galveston? Limited ports available as well. 

We do a B2B on Liberty next May, and it's the same both weeks

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Falmouth

And Oasis can't go to Grand Cayman any time soon😉

Other choices I guess are Costa Maya and Roatan.  Maybe Bahamas.

Seems like limited options

Edited by John&LaLa

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

@twangster do you think Royal will have a challenge with Galveston? Limited ports available as well. 

We do a B2B on Liberty next May, and it's the same both weeks

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Falmouth

And Oasis can't go to Grand Cayman any time soon😉

Other choices I guess are Costa Maya and Roatan.  Maybe Bahamas.

Seems like limited options

Yes, Galveston itineraries struggle with this now to a large degree, more so for an Oasis class ship there.   

However I expect soon to hear about a new private island in the Western Caribbean to help with that.  Perfect Day at _____________.  It will launch Oasis capable.

Bayonne struggles as well.

Edited by twangster

10 hours ago, mtu_huskies said:

Hate is a strong word.  But it is a made up destination.  Traveling is about experiencing new places, people and cultures.  That’s not CocoCay.

That may be what travel is about for YOU, but that's not the case for everyone.  

Some families go camping in the woods for vacation.  Others go to amusement parks (ever hear of a place called Disney?). Others go to the beach for a week.  Others go to an all-inclusive resort. 

Even people who go to a foreign country don't necessarily do it to experience new places, people, and cultures.  I know a family that goes to Aruba for a week every single year, and has done so for well over a decade.  I asked them for a beach recommendation for my port day on Aruba, and they couldn't help me, because they never leave their condo complex, which has a pool and golf and a bar and restaurant -- which is all they want to do on their vacation.

If you don't live near a beach and/or in a tropical area, spending a day on the beach and in the water with your family/friends can be an amazingly fulfilling way to vacation.  If YOU don't like it, that's fine -- but not everyone feels the way you do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes, Galveston itineraries struggle with this now to a large degree, more so for an Oasis class ship there.   

However I expect soon to hear about a new private island in the Western Caribbean to help with that.  Perfect Day at _____________.  It will launch Oasis capable.

Bayonne struggles as well.

There are a few Coco Cay itineraries coming up out of Galveston, which makes one wonder if Nassau and Freeport (when the Grand Lucayan project is complete) will be viable Galveston options

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There are a few Coco Cay itineraries coming up out of Galveston, which makes one wonder if Nassau and Freeport (when the Grand Lucayan project is complete) will be viable Galveston options

Liberty 🤔

Where else does it go?

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Liberty 🤔

Where else does it go?

sorry, no the Perfect Day itineraries are on Enchantment (along with Key West and Nassau)

On Liberty we have been to Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize, Falmouth, Key West, and Grand Cayman

When Adventure arrives next year she is doing some runs to Yucatan

(Galveston is our home port; driving distance)

Edited by not-enough-cruising

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

sorry, no the Perfect Day itineraries are on Enchantment (along with Key West and Nassau)

On Liberty we have been to Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize, Falmouth, Key West, and Grand Cayman

When Adventure arrives next year she is doing some runs to Yucatan

(Galveston is our home port; driving distance)

Isn't there a stop in Progresso sometimes?

They could build that up