Muster stations

siforest65

A couple of observations. Having sailed on all 3 Cunard ships, the muster station drill on the QM2 seems far more tense than on the other 2 ships with us being shoehorned into a small area for it with standing room only. Is this due to the higher passenger count on the QM2?

Also on our August cruise on the QE we didn’t have to take life jackets to the drill and demonstrate putting them on. My parents have just boarded the QV today and said they’ve also been told no life jackets needed at muster drill. Is this new policy from Cunard?

Yes, it seems to be a change since we last sailed in July.

The difference in Muster station comfort is because of the different layout of the ships. If you're towards the stern of QM2 you get the Grills but if you're really unlucky it's the gym.

Cruise lines in general seem to be moving away from taking life jackets to the drills.  I think the consensus is that the risk of falls from loose straps on the jackets outweighs the benefit of taking the PFD.  I'm sure your cabin steward would be happy to help you if you want to try putting the jacket on.

Roy

• Like 2

I hope the change doesn't lead to an increase in the loss of life should the unthinkable happen.  Having witnessed the difficulty some have had in putting life jackets on during a drill it could only get worse in a real emergency when the adrenaline is pumping.

3 hours ago, siforest65 said:

A couple of observations. Having sailed on all 3 Cunard ships, the muster station drill on the QM2 seems far more tense than on the other 2 ships with us being shoehorned into a small area for it with standing room only. Is this due to the higher passenger count on the QM2?

Also on our August cruise on the QE we didn’t have to take life jackets to the drill and demonstrate putting them on. My parents have just boarded the QV today and said they’ve also been told no life jackets needed at muster drill. Is this new policy from Cunard?

The request 'not to take the life jacket' to the Muster station has been trial on Queen Elizabeth. It  now appears it is now on Queen Victoria ( from your post)  We await to hear from Shore side if this will be the  new policy across the fleet .

Edited by Bell Boy

What is this Seabourn that you speak of?  😂 As we shall be on QE2 on 20th October I shall be sure to report back. Obviously when we sail on our own mega yacht, such trivial matters are for the staff to deal with 😀

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

If you're towards the stern of QM2 you get the Grills but if you're really unlucky it's the gym.

We've had the gym once or twice and the grills once, but most often we're in the Carinthia Lounge, which is nice.

I think we'll be in the gym in December - deck 11 quite far forward.

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

The request 'not to take the life jacket' to the Muster station has been trial on Queen Elizabeth. It  now appears it is now on Queen Victoria ( from your post)  We await to hear from Shore side if this will be the  new policy across the fleet .

Same on  QM2

Edited by fizzy1

Hello:  On my most recent crossings on QM2 this past July and August no life jackets were required which is a good thing.  This was a recent change as on my 40 day world cruise segment Winte2019  all passengers were required to bring them along.  One advantage with this new policy is that passengers do not have to return to their cabins to put jackets away and can instead go right out on deck for the sailing away festivities.

With respect to the spaces  sometimes being standing room only I would please advise you to arrive at your station EARLY and get a seat.  If you wait until the last minute as many passengers always do it should be no surprise that all the seats are taken.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Yes, it seems to be a change since we last sailed in July.

The difference in Muster station comfort is because of the different layout of the ships. If you're towards the stern of QM2 you get the Grills but if you're really unlucky it's the gym.

True - but after our sixth trip on her in July, we finally can say we saw the gym and spent some time there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/7/2019 at 12:13 AM, MarkBearSF said:

True - but after our sixth trip on her in July, we finally can say we saw the gym and spent some time there.

My reaction to having the gym as our muster station was disappointment because I was breaking my streak of never going to the gym on the ship!

HAL stopped asking people to bring life vests to the muster a few years ago. They cited injuries from people tripping on the straps.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder