Insurance denial of changed itinerary for Serenade departing to Bermuda next week

LadyBerard

9 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

There is a missed or cancelled port coverage out there.  I haven't seen the exact policy language but it typically is a flat amount for a skipped or cancelled port.  Even if the cruise line gives you OBC or refunds port fees this policy will still pay out.  It's a pretty unique coverage in that you can make a claim for this happening prior to taking the cruise and also during the cruise.

However according to the OP they aren't missing the port, only spending less time there (one day instead of two).  I'm not disagreeing necessarily that the insurance company might need to pay out.  I'm just saying that this seems to be a really hot button issue for many and the OP is being compensated by the cruise line.  The OP doesn't say what the credit plus FCC is valued at, but reading other threads, Royal Caribbean seems to be quite generous.  

Again, not having seen the  policy or the terms, then it's pretty hard to explain either the insurance company's position or the OP's request.

Out of interest I found a policy (don't know who the OP's policy is written by) that includes itinerary change.  Here's the exact definition.  It does say "change of port of call." That is probably the reason they denied it.  In fact the OP's original post says they denied it because the port was not changed.  

"Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment."

Edited by papaflamingo

30 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I had issues with Nationwide when my sister was in intensive care while I was in France.  They were absolutely hideous and I will never use them again.

I guess Nationwide was not on your side.

I used them for our last trip because they were the only one who offered a work related occurrence. I purchased it close to final payment. Lucky for me it was smooth sailing. I usually use Travel Guard.

• Like 2

I agree with most that I don't believe you are due any compensation from nationwide.

However, since this bothers you enough that you not only posted a thread here, you also posted a thread on the insurance board, have you received the denial of claim from Nationwide verbally? or in writing also?

Nationwide has not denied you anything until it's in writing. Their phone people are no more official than Royal's phone people.

File your claim. If it gets denied officially, then file a complaint with your States Insurance Commissioner for them to investigate.

https://www.mass.gov/file-an-insurance-complaint

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 3

Hmmm.  I’ve been using Nationwide for the past couple of years for cruise insurance.  I used to use CSA.  I’ll have to research a bit more next time I purchase.  It should not be so hard.....you should get what you pay for, coverage when you really need it.

I can see in this case where the it might not apply though.  It’s not technically a port of call.  And I’ve been wondering if the cruise line reimbursed you in some way, your insurance would not. I guess that makes sense.  

Was your cruise actually shortened by a day or did you just lose a day in port?  If your cruise was actually shortened by a day (as a 7-night cruise changed to a 6-night cruise), then Royal Caribbean is obligated to pay you proportionately for the day of cruising that you lost.  Nationwide would only be responsible if Royal Caribbean refuses to take the responsibility and, in that case, they would probably subrogate the claim.

For example, I was once quarantined for two days during a 7-night Disney cruise, due to stomach flu.  My insurance company reimbursed me for 2/7 of the cruise fare.  However, in my case, Disney had no responsibility.  In your case, it is really the responsibility of Royal Caribbean to credit you for the lost day (since delaying the cruise was their decision) and the insurance company would only be responsible in the unlikely event that Royal Caribbean refuses to credit you for the lost day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I agree with most that I don't believe you are due any compensation from nationwide.

However, since this bothers you enough that you not only posted a thread here, you also posted a thread on the insurance board, have you received the denial of claim from Nationwide verbally? or in writing also?

Nationwide has not denied you anything until it's in writing. Their phone people are no more official than Royal's phone people.

File your claim. If it gets denied officially, then file a complaint with your States Insurance Commissioner for them to investigate.

https://www.mass.gov/file-an-insurance-complaint

No, I am  not going to file a claim.  I just figured I would post this here and on the insurance boards for informational purposes to others who may purchase Nationwide's insurance not fully understanding it, as I misunderstood what they would consider a claim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, actuarian said:

Was your cruise actually shortened by a day or did you just lose a day in port?  If your cruise was actually shortened by a day (as a 7-night cruise changed to a 6-night cruise), then Royal Caribbean is obligated to pay you proportionately for the day of cruising that you lost.  Nationwide would only be responsible if Royal Caribbean refuses to take the responsibility and, in that case, they would probably subrogate the claim.

For example, I was once quarantined for two days during a 7-night Disney cruise, due to stomach flu.  My insurance company reimbursed me for 2/7 of the cruise fare.  However, in my case, Disney had no responsibility.  In your case, it is really the responsibility of Royal Caribbean to credit you for the lost day (since delaying the cruise was their decision) and the insurance company would only be responsible in the unlikely event that Royal Caribbean refuses to credit you for the lost day.

The cruise is actually being shortened from 5 nights to 4 night, and instead of being in Bermuda for 2 days, we will only be there for 1.

7 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

No, I am  not going to file a claim.  I just figured I would post this here and on the insurance boards for informational purposes to others who may purchase Nationwide's insurance not fully understanding it, as I misunderstood what they would consider a claim.

Thank you for sharing your story about reading and understanding insurance policies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

The cruise is actually being shortened from 5 nights to 4 night, and instead of being in Bermuda for 2 days, we will only be there for 1.

Did Royal Caribbean offer you any kind of compensation for the lost day of cruising?  Usually they do and, if the do, there would not be any insurable loss.

18 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I think that klfrodo has a very valid point...."Nationwide has not denied you anything until it's in writing. Their phone people are no more official than Royal's phone people.  File your claim. If it gets denied officially, then file a complaint with your States Insurance Commissioner for them to investigate."

If you don't officially file a claim, then you haven't officially been denied anything.  You should actually file the claim, get the official decision in writing, then decide if it's worth pursuing.  There's a lot of Nationwide bashing going on.  I don't use them as I've not heard great things about them and other policies fit my needs better so I'm not defending them.  But it's sort of unfair to bash a company when you haven't actually taken the steps required for an official decision.  If you think you are entitled to compensation, then you should follow the required steps to get it.  Then we can pick  this back up again.  I, for one, would be interested in their official written denial.  

• Like 1

Please file the claim.  You did have a Change of Port because one day you were supposed to be in Bermuda and will not be.  

While I understand the impulse to let it go, you purchased the policy and have a right to make a claim.  At least that way, you will know you did everything you could. If Nationwide loses future business because of that, maybe they will reconsider. 

God luck and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

Well your itinerary was changed for a specific day, so I do think you should continue the discussion. I would definitely submit a claim in writing showing the altered itinerary. 

That port of call change coverage used to be even more generous than it is now, but they have revised it since it was first offered. No doubt they are getting stricter.

I have found that with most insurance matters, you have to be willing to explain things several times to several people. I would never take the first 'no' as the official answer. 

I have used Nationwide several times in the past because of their Cruise specific policies. Always fairly priced with great coverage, tell you what... the true test is always actually needing to file a claim. Finally had to attempt to file last April and it was a nightmare dealing with Nationwide Claims, took over 1 month for things to shake out. I will never insure with them again. I just returned on the 4th off the Allure and this trip we went back to Travel Guard the Gold Package. File the claim with Nationwide, keep very good records and call and email until you get what you paid for. Good luck 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

Now I’m worried. I bought my cruise insurance through “Insure My Trip.”  And I bought Nationwide. Hope I won’t have to use it. 

I hope you don't have to use it either.

That's why I use a broker though. I use Trip Insurance Store instead of Insure My Trip. Either way, should you have to file a claim, the broker is there to help you do that.

• Like 1