Ideas for a pre cruise stay

Hi, I am looking at doing a California coastal next year and I am looking for somewhere to stay for 4-5 days prior to cruise.  As we are from the U.K its a fair way for us to travel for just a 7 night cruise.  I am looking for a beach resort ideally/hotel with nice pool area just to chill out really, not too far from port and suitable for children.

We have stayed previously in Santa Monica which we loved but wondered it there was anywhere else that was worth a visit whilst in the area.

Thanks in advance

Yes sorry, didn't make it clear :(.  We have done Beverly Hills, Hollywood etc and did enjoy Santa Monica but I like to try new places when I can so prefer somewhere different.  It will probably be a cruise with princess, so I think they leave from San Pedro.

We will predominately would like to relax at a nice resort, too far for us to travel for a week so thought a pre cruise stay would be the ticket for around 5 days.  

Did you have a budget in mind (U.S. dollars per night)? When is this? Ages of kids? Will you rent a car for those days?

I'd start with the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach and Waterfront Resort Huntington Beach, unless you say your budget is $150 a night :)

Thank you.  Be hard pushed to have a budget of $150 a night anywhere I would imagine lol.  We would have a 13 yr old and a 5 year old and wouldn't hire a car.  Like I say our main purpose would be relaxing by a pool with the option of having a wander around a decent area in the evening for some good quality food.  Both those hotels look like what we are after.  I presume it is a nice area to walk around with the option of some good food?

39 minutes ago, Rachpem007 said:

We would have a 13 yr old and a 5 year old and wouldn't hire a car.

So here is the challenge in CA; the 5 year old will need a booster seat in cabs, Uber and shuttles. You can bring your own, like a foldable BubbleBum Booster Seat or hire shuttle companies that provide them.

Downtown Huntington Beach is a great place to wander, but if you wanted to head down to Newport/Balboa or Laguna Beach, Uber is the best way to do that. which brings us back to the BubbleBum.

Consider San Diego. It's so much nicer than LA; air is cleaner, less traffic, attractions are all within a short distance.

San Diego is one of the nicest cities in the country. It's a major tourist destination and there are tons of things to do.  With 70 miles of beautiful beaches, countless parks and gardens, dozens of golf courses, world class museums, Tony Award winning theater, great cuisine, over 70 micro breweries, best weather in the country, and the best zoo in the world, it's my choice as THE place to live and play in the USA.

Some must see attractions are the world famous Zoo and Balboa Park. Known as the "Smithsonian of the West" Balboa Park is the largest urban cultural park in the country. Other attractions in the park are the Air and Space Museum, Ruben H. Fleet Science Center and IMAX theater, the Natural History Museum, the Model Railroad Museum, the Museum of Man, the Automotive Museum, the Old Globe Theatre, the Botanical Gardens, and the largest outdoor pipe organ in the world (free concerts on Sundays).
http://www.balboapark.org
http://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/

https://blog.trekaroo.com/top-10-things-for-families-to-do-in-san-diego/

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Consider San Diego. It's so much nicer than LA; air is cleaner, less traffic, attractions are all within a short distance.

Huntington Beach isn't in LA and San Diego isn't an easy shuttle/Uber ride to San Pedro.

PS "less traffic" tells me you don't get north of the 5-805 split much.

But the I am sure the Chamber of Commerce appreciates the support.

Santa Catalina Island for a couple of nights.  The full 4-5 nights might get boring unless the kids are really into the beach.  If all you want to do is relax then Catalina is the place.  Newport Beach would be good.  You might want to look at a VRBO there rather than a hotel it might be more cost effective.  We also like Dana Point.  If you like Dana Point there is a ferry from there that will take you out to Catalina Island as well as the ferry from Long Beach.    

• 4 weeks later...